Sponsored by:

7-Speed DSG Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Rave
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile

DSG has a level of intelligence. The box knows what gear you're going to shift into and the second clutch is waiting for it to happen. That's great but what if you have a complete a$$'ole at the wheel? I took an A3 out with A$$'ole 1 (me) at the wheel and A$$'ole 2 (my son) in the front passenger seat. He shifted the stick and I shifted the paddles - at random. We still couldn't confuse it. Now that's clever. With the high proportion of a$$ 'oles who drive Porsche's nowadays, it's inevitable that they have to introduce their own version.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by Queram
On the other hand the current DSG is superior to TipS (junk in a car in this caliber) but nowhere close to SMGII in my opinion if performance is the priority.
Originally Posted by Superfans
In that case, is it fair to say that DSG is something like an advance Tip S (i.e. still an automatic) whereas the SMG would be a manual with an electronic clutch?
DSG is not a traditional automatic with torque converter like Tiptronic.

DSG is like SMG in that it is a manual transmission. However, DSG has two clutches, making it more advanced by providing even quicker shifts and eliminating the learning curve required by SMG to exorcise its inherent jerkiness.

Rumor has it that BMW is developing a similar dual-clutch gearbox to replace SMG.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:20 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by frayed
I found the smg to lack the immediacy and directness of the manual, as well as the mechanical engagement of a stick. You know, the man/machine connection vs. the video game experience of the smg.
Well, DSG does of course remove the mechanical interface, so you may never warm up to it.

Personally, although a luddite, if technology works flawlessly, then I'm all for it. For instance, I hate variable assist power steering...I can't stand having different feel artificially transmitted to me, even if I'm parallel parking...yet the 997's variable ratio steering is near perfect. Same with SMG vs DSG...with SMG, you have to think, lift shift...like with a manual...but the left foot sits idle, there are all of the settings to deal with, and there's the jerky automatic mode. But DSG responds immediately with perfect shifts every time, whether driving moderately, hard, or in automatic mode...with no extraneous interface...hard not to appreciate that.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:30 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Porsche's DSG (PDK) is still having some reliability problems at the higher hp levels.

I've always enjoyed a manual transmission (half the fun of driving is the eternal quest for the perfect downshift).
However, I was recently invited to Road Atlanta to spend a full day driving a new Maserati Gran Sport, equipped with their CambioCorse (Ferrari F1 style, single clutch, paddle shift transmission).
It has manual and auto modes, with a sport setting to alter shift timing and sport exhaust (similar to PSE).

I realized very quickly that you can quickly drive these cars faster since you can downshift just about anywhere and not have to worry about TTO due to a mismatched downshift. I actually enjoyed driving this style gearbox much more than I would have thought.
I've driven the DSG in a new Audi and preferred the CambioCorse over the DSG.
Old 07-27-2006, 03:51 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Doesn't the newly announced, reskinned Audi TT have a true dual-clutch sequential trans? I thought I read that in Autoweek...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:36 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
Doesn't the newly announced, reskinned Audi TT have a true dual-clutch sequential trans? I thought I read that in Autoweek...
Yes, that's DSG...same as it has been for years now in the original TT, and currently in the GTI and A3 (they're all built on the same platform and share drivetrains).

Quick Reply: 7-Speed DSG Announcement