Sponsored by:

My First Road Trip! - Only Minor Glitches

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 04:20 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 477 Likes on 241 Posts
Default My First Road Trip! - Only Minor Glitches

Well believe it or not I've had my car for 8 months and this week marked my first real road trip (this has been a high-octane work year,...what can I say).
Thus, my wife and I packed up the C4S (actually I packed it since about 100 lbs of bags & books is tricky in a 911), and cruised to Stowe VT. I've been going to Stowe since I was a kid and my family has maintained a condo there forever. I just think VT is such a beautiful state,...perhaps one day we'll move there and I can actually have my own garage.

The car did just fine covering over 700 miles this week with only minor glitches to report. After filling up with Mobil gas (I usually use Shell), I developed the dreaded and much-posted hesitation problem. The car seemed to be 'skipping' at constant engine speeds but hard accelerated normally - just like others have posted. So, I stopped, did the open the gas tank thing (even though I don't think these gas tanks/caps can get vapor lock) and then drove some more. Didn't fix it, but just when I was getting ready to say 'hey, I'll just let it sit and cool and reset its little brain on its own',...the car magically started firing on all cylinders again. The whole episode lasted about 15 minutes. Don't know what it was but it's been gone over 300 miles now.

The only other glitch was development of a minor rattle/buzzing that is coming from the plastic moulding surrounding the speedo - I know this b/c pushing on it stops the buzzing.

Overall I averaged over 20 mpg for the 700+ miles,...a refreshing change from my typical 10 mpg Boston driving.

Now for the driving,....route 89 is a magnificent highway and a car that loooked just like mine hit the 150-160s on several occasions. My God these things really get up there quickly,...I love the feeling of shifting from 5th to 6th at 7000+ rpm. For highway cruising, the car was simply wonderful for 200 miles at a time - very comfortable, just luxurious enough, and just oh-so-steady. I also did quite a bit of 'off-roading' in the area. There are really wonderful country dirt roads in the area and the AWD let's you really move on them. My car was just so happy up there, but alas, I am now back in Boston - home of some of the rudest drivers in the country.

And now for some completely gratuitous Vermont/Porsche/Me pics:

Gratuitous VT covered bridge shots:

Me and My P at the Balloon Fest:

The Trip Computer:
Old 07-09-2006, 05:11 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Always great to hear about "Road Trips"
They are great!!

Av speeds are so hard to keep UP high.....

Old 07-09-2006, 05:29 PM
brianbento
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coochas, I bet that trip was great!!!!! Before i deployed earleir this year, i drove my 996TT from Raleigh NC to Dallas and then back a month later... Wow it was rough, Bilstein PSS9/19 In tires etc... A rough ride but so much fun. I bet the 997 was a dream to drive aggresively over those great roads!!!!! To bad i cant the see the pics, our internet out here blocks everything :-(
Old 07-09-2006, 07:32 PM
SilverSteel
Three Wheelin'

Received 263 Likes on 142 Posts

If you smiled any bigger your head would explode--glad to see your having so much fun. Those are some great pictures. I see you have extended Nav. Do you like?
Old 07-09-2006, 08:35 PM
Cogito
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very nice Dave. VT is a beautiful state.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:50 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments guys.

SS - I'll be totally honest with you, I'm not sure which features on my nav are extended vs the base system. I generally drive with the map on or the compass on the PCM screen,...I really liked following the altitude changes on VT. And, I can't stop the grinning!,...been like that every time I drive it ever since I picked it up.

Stay safe over there Brian!

Hi MJ, Jeff and Don!!!!
Old 07-09-2006, 10:50 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 64 Posts

Dave great story. About the guy who was hitting 150-160. Did you try and follow him or just sit back and watch another Porsche at play? Love the pics.

Jay
Old 07-09-2006, 11:00 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DJ23
Dave great story. About the guy who was hitting 150-160. Did you try and follow him or just sit back and watch another Porsche at play? Love the pics.

Jay
It was like I was in the cockpit the whole time,,,hee hee hee.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:50 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

Sorry Dave,
Worse drivers in the country are in Nevada....in particular Las Vegas. No one can touch us.

Now, as for that person driving a speed yellow 911 going 150 mph in Vermont....TURN YOURSELF INTO THE AUTHORITIES IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 01:38 AM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great post Dave - I'd love to have one of those great covered bridge shots for my portfolio!!!!

You guys are killing me with the 150 mph driving. I am really starting to think I need to head over the pass to Eastern Washington and see what this thing can do. The only problem is that our cops use laser over there and it is pretty hard to argue when you are all by yourself on a 50 mile straight that you really weren't doing 150, it was that Kia that was behind you!
Old 07-10-2006, 02:21 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

Great post - sounds like a fun trip!
Old 07-10-2006, 07:18 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Holli82
Sorry Dave,
Worse drivers in the country are in Nevada....in particular Las Vegas. No one can touch us.

Now, as for that person driving a speed yellow 911 going 150 mph in Vermont....TURN YOURSELF INTO THE AUTHORITIES IMMEDIATELY!!!!
Are you sure abou NV? Have you driven here? Do you have people that will drive at 54 mph in the left lane who, that after patiently following them for a mile or so, give you the finger after you pass them on the right?
As for that 150 mph Porsche,...come to think of it, I don't think it was Speed Yellow,...yeah, it was actually Atlas,....and had NV plates too.
Old 07-10-2006, 07:20 AM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ronmart
Great post Dave - I'd love to have one of those great covered bridge shots for my portfolio!!!!

You guys are killing me with the 150 mph driving. I am really starting to think I need to head over the pass to Eastern Washington and see what this thing can do. The only problem is that our cops use laser over there and it is pretty hard to argue when you are all by yourself on a 50 mile straight that you really weren't doing 150, it was that Kia that was behind you!
Laser bad,....bad bad bad. I've been fortunate enough to have only encountered a handful of laser traps. Most of the time I hear the 'laser beep' on my Passport is when I'm near the airport,...BTW, anyone know why lasers go off at the airport?
Old 07-10-2006, 03:02 PM
Sunshine
Burning Brakes

Beautiful pics. It looks like you had a great time.
Old 07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Holli82
Sorry Dave,
Very true statement. It is horrible out here. There are reasons for this statistic, but nonetheless, drivers are crazy in Vegas.

Quick Reply: My First Road Trip! - Only Minor Glitches