Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2006, 12:29 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bluehinder
You guys are too hard on the car. So your neighbor is into boom box stereos. What does that prove other than you attempt to prejudice the readers?
Whoa. First of all, I'm not hard on the car. I'm not as impressed by some with its power since I own a car that truely does accelerate even faser than a Z-06 or a TT. But that doesn't make it a better car than a Z-06 or the TT.

Secondly, I wouldn't care if he had an Enzo, I thought it odd that such a car would be more important for its stereo than it's performance.

In truth this is the third time or so that I've had to point out to Vette fans here that I did not disparage the car at all other than to point out that I like my car better. If you keep thinking that's disparagement, you are the one with the "issues".

Hey, it's a nice ride. Soon as I get my mullet and wife-beater on I'll slide on down to the Chevy dealership and get me one so you'll be happy.

Does it hurt to get a mullet???

BTW, I think one day I'll get a real nervous 62 Vette with fuel injection and just put it under lucite in my living room I think they're so cool
Old 07-10-2006, 06:30 AM
Signal-9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
There seems to be a belief from some on this thread that the Z06 does not perform better that the TT. That would be a mistake to believe, especially if you plan on challenging the Z06 on the street.
Are you kidding? Whats wrong with you?

The Z06 is hardly the best perfoming thing on the street, Porsche or not, and its far from the best performing thing on the track. The Z06 is a great car, but comments like yours show the problem is Corvette owners/fanboi's not the car itself.

Anyone objectively looking at the current data, and reports from real owners knows that the (New) TT and the (New) Z06 have different strengths in different areas, and as a whole are on par with each other on the track with different styles needed to get the best out of each. The differences that exist are in price, and luxo/euro appeal/brand image.

To me, the Z06 is just like a Viper. Big HP, good on the track if your driving style is suited to that type of setup, but bad on durability, engineering finesse, noise, comfort, etc.

An analogy I would make is that the Z06 is like a big sledgehammer, while the TT is a air hammer. Both get the job done, just as fast, but using different approaches.

This whole who is faster on the street thing is stupid, plenty of (modded) 996tt's will roast a z06, and there are plenty of Subaru's that will roast a modded 996tt. The argument is silly untill you got the $$$ to play with Veyrons/Saleen's/McLaren's...

BTW, Saleen is a good example of an american made car, that reaches european sophistication levels.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:28 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Signal-9
Are you kidding? Whats wrong with you?

The Z06 is hardly the best perfoming thing on the street, Porsche or not, and its far from the best performing thing on the track. The Z06 is a great car, but comments like yours show the problem is Corvette owners/fanboi's not the car itself.

Anyone objectively looking at the current data, and reports from real owners knows that the (New) TT and the (New) Z06 have different strengths in different areas, and as a whole are on par with each other on the track with different styles needed to get the best out of each. The differences that exist are in price, and luxo/euro appeal/brand image.

To me, the Z06 is just like a Viper. Big HP, good on the track if your driving style is suited to that type of setup, but bad on durability, engineering finesse, noise, comfort, etc.

An analogy I would make is that the Z06 is like a big sledgehammer, while the TT is a air hammer. Both get the job done, just as fast, but using different approaches.

This whole who is faster on the street thing is stupid, plenty of (modded) 996tt's will roast a z06, and there are plenty of Subaru's that will roast a modded 996tt. The argument is silly untill you got the $$$ to play with Veyrons/Saleen's/McLaren's...

BTW, Saleen is a good example of an american made car, that reaches european sophistication levels.
I don't own a Vet and never have, but do own several Porsches, so I have no reason to be bias towards tha Z06. However, you correctly have to point oit that a MODDED TT may give the Z06 some competition. We are talking about stock cars here. Mod for Mod, the Vet would still perform better.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

I don't own a Vet and never have, but do own several Porsches, so I have no reason to be bias towards tha Z06. However, you correctly have to point oit that a MODDED TT may give the Z06 some competition. We are talking about stock cars here. Mod for Mod, the Vet would still perform better.
According to the specifications of both cars it appears the Z06 would not clearly outperform a 997TT both in stock form. The 0-60 times, and quarter mile are nearly identical, and Porsche has always been conservative with their numbers.

If you are reading data sets that disagree, you should post up the sources, so we don't start throwing around blind assumptions (me included).

Thanks,
Rob
Old 07-10-2006, 10:00 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by riad
According to the specifications of both cars it appears the Z06 would not clearly outperform a 997TT both in stock form. The 0-60 times, and quarter mile are nearly identical, and Porsche has always been conservative with their numbers.

If you are reading data sets that disagree, you should post up the sources, so we don't start throwing around blind assumptions (me included).

Thanks,
Rob

We'll have to wait for the actual comparisons when the 997 TT takes on the Z06. I would expect that the Vet will still beat it in both straight line and track. The TT is simply too much of a boat. I'm sure we will see some reports soon enough.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

We'll have to wait for the actual comparisons when the 997 TT takes on the Z06. I would expect that the Vet will still beat it in both straight line and track. The TT is simply too much of a boat. I'm sure we will see some reports soon enough.
I agree, and I think that's a fair statement. If the new TT is a boat then I drive an anchor.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:28 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How do you know this, based upon your stated experience?

It would seem, based on what you say, that you would not have this knowledge one way or the other.
Old 07-10-2006, 10:42 AM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by allegretto
How do you know this, based upon your stated experience?

It would seem, based on what you say, that you would not have this knowledge one way or the other.
Where did I state my experience? You should get over it. If you don't like Vet's, that's fine. But the facts are that it is a better performing car than the 911 (997 TT to be decided). This does not make your Porsche bad, but only that your car does not perform as well as the Z06 in some categories. I don't understand why this fact would bother people.

This thread is about performance and not value, looks or ***** size. The stock Z06 gets around the track faster and accelerates faster than your Porsche. It's really that simple. You should not lose any sleep over it.
Old 07-10-2006, 11:31 AM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I would love to see Chevy enter a Corvette into ALMS GT2 and fight with the Porsches, Panozs, M3s, and Ferraris. The car would have to be based upon a street car with the same suspension type. The Corvette's that are in GT1 are totally different cars with a corvette body on top.

A Chevy in GT2 would help to determine the better ferforming car. My personal thought is that is why you've never seen one there. Just my $0.02
Old 07-10-2006, 11:35 AM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

This is one of those " age old" comparo's'. Both are neat cars. I just love Porsche's MORE.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:08 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

Where did I state my experience? You should get over it. If you don't like Vet's, that's fine. But the facts are that it is a better performing car than the 911 (997 TT to be decided). This does not make your Porsche bad, but only that your car does not perform as well as the Z06 in some categories. I don't understand why this fact would bother people.

This thread is about performance and not value, looks or ***** size. The stock Z06 gets around the track faster and accelerates faster than your Porsche. It's really that simple. You should not lose any sleep over it.
With the way you are throwing around your bravado even AFTER admitting you are not an expert... are you really sure this isn't about ***** size? If the only thing you have to go on is the numbers, then the numbers don't support your supposition. It's not the FACTS that are bothering people, it's the people that are ignoring the facts that are irritating. The fact is that, going by the numbers, the 997TT and 2007 Z06 are close.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:22 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Originally Posted by Porsh-uh
With the way you are throwing around your bravado even AFTER admitting you are not an expert... are you really sure this isn't about ***** size? If the only thing you have to go on is the numbers, then the numbers don't support your supposition. It's not the FACTS that are bothering people, it's the people that are ignoring the facts that are irritating. The fact is that, going by the numbers, the 997TT and 2007 Z06 are close.
I never mentioned whether I was an expert or not, so I have no idea where you got that from. If not owning a specific car keeps you from being an expert, then you are correct but also misguided.

It's a shame that people cannot simply look at FACTS and accept them. It's kinda like the guy who says that size does not matter. Are they telling us something and lowering expectations?

Who is going by published numbers? Look at the actual real world tests. I could care less what the specs of the car's are. The Z06 beats all the stock Porsches on the road (GT excluded). if and when the 997TT runs against the 07 Z06, we will have an answer for that one too.

Forget the shoulda, woulda coulda and look at what IS. If the 997 TT is found to be a better perfromer, then that will become fact regardless of all the reteric.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

This is where you belie your lack of experience and hence, expertise.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:34 PM
Likemystoppie?
Banned

Originally Posted by MMD
What're the Nurbergring comps?

Anyway..., speaking of performance, when all is said and done, I'm more attracted to the class of women who love Porsches and dislike Corvettes.

+1
Old 07-10-2006, 12:41 PM
Porsh-uh
Burning Brakes

It's a shame that people cannot simply look at FACTS and accept them. It's kinda like the guy who says that size does not matter. Are they telling us something and lowering expectations?
So why are you ashamed of yourself? I don't get this. Why say it's a shame and then do it? You have really confused me here.

Who is going by published numbers?
I could care less what the specs of the car's are.
No kidding, why let facts get in the way of a perfectly unreasonable arugment?

Look at the actual real world tests.
Um, published numbers ARE real world tests.

The Z06 beats all the stock Porsches on the road (GT excluded).
Now THAT is a perfectly verifiable fact.
if and when the 997TT runs against the 07 Z06, we will have an answer for that one too.
And when the comparo comes out very close, you'll ignore that too.

Forget the shoulda, woulda coulda and look at what IS. If the 997 TT is found to be a better perfromer, then that will become fact regardless of all the reteric.
The fact is that the RAW performance numbers indicate they are similar performers. The Corvette is a much better "performance value" and no one is debating that. However, to try and make the claim the a Z06 CLEARLY OUTPERFORMS a 997TT is not based on any facts.

Quick Reply: Drove my neighbors new Z-06 last night...