Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BABY/BOOSTER SEAT--for rear seat...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 09:14 AM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Received 254 Likes on 141 Posts
Default BABY/BOOSTER SEAT--for rear seat...

According to all the statistics and information that is available on the internet, children are safer in the rear seats of the car. That said, I'm sure there's an age/weight where a child becomes "eligible" to sit up front with dad. Forgive me for being nebulous on the age and weight, but it's not my point for this thread.

Instead, I'm interested in the rear seat passengers, little passengers, that must have a booster seat. I have only been able to find two seats that fit in the rear CORRECTLY; an old Britax model no longer made, and the Porsche model (retails for nearly $600--what in the hell, are there air bags on it?). Does anyone know of another brand that fits correctly in the rear seat pan?

Before you answer too quckly, it is extremely important the the booster seat fit correctly into the seat pan (flush onto the seat, not angled even 5 degrees). Any type of misfitment can have disasterous results to the occupant if there is a sudden impact and the booster changes it's position on the seat (angle). I won't go into detail, but use your imagination.

I have one (Combi) that I use for my BMW745Li and it is really nice. I believe it's design would lend itself well to the Porsche (see pics). You can remove the back easily so you just have the booster section, if needed. Does anyone know of a seat that will FIT besides the Porsche seat, of similar design?
Attached Images   
Old 07-09-2006, 10:23 AM
TheOldMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When we purchased the C2S last year, we went through a trial and error process with every car seat that was sold at retail for our 2 year old (now almost 4). We eventually found one car seat that fit perfectly in the Coupe, made by Evenflo. The model I believe is called 'Generations', but I cannot be 100% sure of the model name.

The seat fits perfectly; both on the back and on the seat. The back is not detatchable from the bottom, but this is ok for us. However, I do not think that this will work in the Cab as well. The angle of the rear seat of the cab is more vertical than the coupe. Which was a big reason we ended up with the Coupe as we would not find a seat that would fit that rear seats in the Cab.
Old 07-09-2006, 11:53 AM
S4to911
Instructor

Received 96 Likes on 27 Posts

Looking at the pictures you posted, you appear to be looking for a booster that uses the shoulder/lap belt. The Britax Stariser booster fits in the back seat of the cab perfectly.
Old 07-09-2006, 12:36 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I do like the shoulder harness, more protection. I checked both models and found while the Britax Starriser is no longer in production, its dimensions fit (you're right) the 997 cab's rear pan. They are closing them out on several web sites. I found it for $59, no shipping and no tax on a shoping.com site (http://carseats.babycatalog.com/boos...html)--ordered it. For $59 I'm not taking a huge gamble. I can always use it in another car if it doesn't work. I'll keep you all posted as to how it works out.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:56 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Britax Starriser is where it is at! :D

I HIGHLY recommend the Britax Starriser. It fits PERFECTLY and the kids don't need the back on it because the shoulder belt fits to absolute perfection. My daughter is 4 and has a small frame and she just went to the booster seat this last weekend and she fits perfectly.

You DO NOT want the back on your seats because the seats in the 997's (especially the cabs) don't recline backwards so the kids lean forward (moreso with a cab) and become uncomfortable.

The Britax starriser comfy is the starriser with the back (which is what I have, but I've detached the backs).

I've included pics to show how these seats fit perfectly.
Attached Images    
Old 07-09-2006, 04:00 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Oh and let me know if you want a pic with my daughter in the seat to show your wife so she realizes that it does fit well.

I was just at The Right Start (a national chain) shopping for boosters last weekend and they had Starriser Comfy's in stock still. I chose the Graco Turbo for the other cars just because the shoulder support on the starriser comfy isn't very good (it is easy for the kids to get their shoulder out). Again, this isn't an issue on the 911 and your Combi's are equivalents that are just fine for your other vehicle(s).
Old 07-09-2006, 04:08 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Hey, Ron. What's going on?! Thanks for weighing-in on the topic. I just ordered it. It's really nice to see the pics of it in your car, making it easier for me to visualize. Very nice.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:12 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

The Starriser Comfy also fits very nicely in the Porsche sport seats when you are ready to have the kids ride in the front.

Alan
Old 07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by BiggerTwin
The Starriser Comfy also fits very nicely in the Porsche sport seats when you are ready to have the kids ride in the front.

Alan
Yes, it fits nice but one of the reasons why it has been discontinued is that it doesn't do a good job of supporting kids shoulders so it has been replaced by the Parkway which does a MUCH better job for that (but it is too wide for the rear seats of the 911). Overall, I don't recommend the Starriser Comfy in the front unless you have a wider torso child who will be adequately supported by the shoulder strap.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:50 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Hey, Ron. What's going on?! Thanks for weighing-in on the topic. I just ordered it. It's really nice to see the pics of it in your car, making it easier for me to visualize. Very nice.
Between this thread, the detail thread and your clear bra removal thread where you mention your wife also has a LX470, I'm further convinced that we were separated at birth.

Did I mention my parents live in Texas (although I'm from Lousyana) and I'm a fanatical Dallas Cowboys fan? (hence the Cowboys star blue color car).

I also have several Milling Road (upscale division of Baker) chairs that are near identical in color and very similar to your chair shown in the pic above.

You'll be very pleased with these seats and the kids will fit great!
Old 07-09-2006, 07:23 PM
SilverSteel
Rennlist Member

Ron,

Parents in Texas, and you like the Cowboys. Good man. I saw Troy Aikman at Cool River the other day--old school. I had also seen him in Grand Cayman,..one of us is following the other around?!! Also, the moose lives down the street from me. He has an electric collar for his dog. Funny as hell watching him use it.

Those chairs in the pic, I couldn't tell you a thing other than my wife probably paid too much for them. No one ever sits in them as they're in the formal dinning room which is never used. I just don't get it with rooms that aren't used. It's a woman thing I suppose.
Old 07-09-2006, 07:43 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SilverSteel
Ron,

Parents in Texas, and you like the Cowboys. Good man. I saw Troy Aikman at Cool River the other day--old school. I had also seen him in Grand Cayman,..one of us is following the other around?!! Also, the moose lives down the street from me. He has an electric collar for his dog. Funny as hell watching him use it.

Those chairs in the pic, I couldn't tell you a thing other than my wife probably paid too much for them. No one ever sits in them as they're in the formal dinning room which is never used. I just don't get it with rooms that aren't used. It's a woman thing I suppose.
Old 07-09-2006, 08:08 PM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Nice pictures Ron. I have the exact same setup with the 2 Britax Starrisers. But get them now, becuase it took me quite a bot of searching to get my second one a few months ago! As I understand it, these Britax models are essentially the same as the re-badged Porsche models.

My near-6 year old seems fine in her seat, but lately my wife has been nagging that she needs to be in a 5-point harness. One Eddie Bauer model in black leather that I know of seems to be one answer, but I think my daughter may be too big for the 5-point harness now. Any other 5-point harness options out there for a 46" and 40 lb near-6 year old?

BTW--that was offensive pass interference all day long on Staubach's Hail Mary to Drew Pearson against the Vikings in the NFC title game (I'm a Vikings fan!).
Old 07-10-2006, 12:13 AM
vitman
Rennlist Member

I understand the concern with properly fitting car seats. My salesman included "threw one in" to make the deal so it's easy for me to say just get it. However, the porsche seat fits great and looks good too. Considering all of the ridiculous priced cosmetic options on the car the $600 seems reasonable to have a proper fitting, safe car seat that doesn't ruin the looks of the car.
Old 07-10-2006, 12:27 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 421 Likes on 215 Posts

I know Porsche also offers an "infant" rear-facing seat for the front. Is that also made by Britax?

Quick Reply: BABY/BOOSTER SEAT--for rear seat...