PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by alin330
PorscheDoc, "Cargraphic and H&R springs are the exact same thing."

Some board members say that cargraphic's drop is little less then the H&R. So are you saying the drop between the two are the SAME?
When I said the same, I meant that H&R makes the springs for Cargraphic, so they are one manufacturer.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:06 PM
MichaelL
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 997S grounds on poorly graded road intersections and steep driveways in stock trim. The air deflector forward of the front wheels is the cause. It will become worse with a lowered suspension. Other parts, such as the nose, will touch down. The laws of geometry don't change because the car looks better.

There are other unwanted consequences of lowering, the major one being a harsher ride. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, lower means stiffer. The product of spring rate(pounds per inch) and suspension travel(inches) must remain constant or increase. If not, the car will bottom out on smaller bumps. Force equals spring rate times travel and you can't change the laws of physics, either. If the drop is low(.5 to 1 inch), this may not be that objectionable. Large drops will pound your backside and you will feel every crack in the road. Your passengers will complain.

The shock absorber is worked over only a part of its total range of travel. It is not designed for this. Big lowering needs coilovers. They will not, however, improve the ride.

The altered stance of the car will change the camber. Spring changeout will always require full realignment of the suspension. Large drops may require aftermarket, adjustable components to maintain design suspension geometry.

There is no question that a properly lowered car will have less body roll and corner better. The appearance is improved. Drivability and comfort are almost always impaired.

Unless you plan to track the car, think twice about lowering it more than a small amount, if at all. The experts and enthusiasts offering their opinions don't have to pay for the work or endure the consequences. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2006, 10:13 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelL

Unless you plan to track the car, think twice about lowering it more than a small amount, if at all. The experts and enthusiasts offering their opinions don't have to pay for the work or endure the consequences. Good luck.
Ummm... I drive my car 7 days/week, rain or shine. I think I endure the consequences and I most certainly paid for the work.
Old 07-08-2006, 12:23 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelL
A 997S grounds on poorly graded road intersections and steep driveways in stock trim. The air deflector forward of the front wheels is the cause. It will become worse with a lowered suspension. Other parts, such as the nose, will touch down. The laws of geometry don't change because the car looks better.

There are other unwanted consequences of lowering, the major one being a harsher ride. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise, lower means stiffer. The product of spring rate(pounds per inch) and suspension travel(inches) must remain constant or increase. If not, the car will bottom out on smaller bumps. Force equals spring rate times travel and you can't change the laws of physics, either. If the drop is low(.5 to 1 inch), this may not be that objectionable. Large drops will pound your backside and you will feel every crack in the road. Your passengers will complain.

The shock absorber is worked over only a part of its total range of travel. It is not designed for this. Big lowering needs coilovers. They will not, however, improve the ride.

The altered stance of the car will change the camber. Spring changeout will always require full realignment of the suspension. Large drops may require aftermarket, adjustable components to maintain design suspension geometry.

There is no question that a properly lowered car will have less body roll and corner better. The appearance is improved. Drivability and comfort are almost always impaired.

One of the most intelligent and reasoned responses I have ever read on Rennlist.

Thank you!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:33 AM
930man
Rennlist Member

Brian i have a set of H&R springs from my 997 in the garage you can have ... yes i will show you how to droive one of these things by the way,,,

i had the 997tt on the track for over 5 hours today !!!!! mich pilot sport cups and pagids ye haaaaaa
thinking im may have been one of the first tt at a de ..

seriously let me know if you want the springs...
Old 07-08-2006, 02:53 AM
synergy
Rennlist Member

I actually drive mine in sport around town most of the time (when the wife is not on board)....I like a harsh ride I guess....really feels sporty!

Quick Reply: Suspension Question for 997S