Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Price check, and color question....

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 11:46 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Price check, and color question....

Own a '99 C2 coupe that I absolutely love. But living in a snow belt I'm driving it 3000 miles a year. On the lookout for a 996 C4S that I'd outfit with snows and invisible bra for winter use (washing it in January, that I haven't worked out quite yet.....).

Haven't even driven a 997 because I'm afraid I'd never settle for the 996. Then I came accross a 997 C4S with EVERY piece of equipment I'd order if I got a new car. Midnight blue/sea blue, short shifter/chrono/sports exhaust, al shifter, and a few other options. Sticker'ed at $105k. Starting price is $98k, though they can "help with shipping". It's CPO'd BTW.

I've seen some new cars purchased at 7% off msrp, so the asking price at $7k off is not all that impressive. Heck, the original invoice should have been around $93k. What do you think I should be able to get it for?

Also, after spending 6 months studying colors/options for my 996, I've never even SEEN sea blue. The pics I've found look like a very attractive blue'ish grey, but buying unseen gives me the *******. Any decent shots of this interior you can point me to? MN blue is a good color, so that's not a problem in my mind.

Thanks for the help. Been thinking all day, and though I doubt I'll go for it, formulating my thoughts here is at least therapeutic. And who knows, maybe I'll jump......
Old 07-05-2006, 11:52 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

Ask for $5k over invoice + options. You shouldn't have any problem getting it, especially if its been on the lot for a while (and especially since it is not a common color/combo).
Old 07-05-2006, 11:56 PM
gary mermel
Instructor

Default ooops...

The most important point about the 997:

This C4S is used, at 1800miles. The owner traded it for his new (one of the first) 997 TT's.....

That's why I'm wondering about this car. It's first year depreciation should belong to somebody else.....
Old 07-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gary- for that car, $92K is not unrealistic to try for....this being early summer however, the dealer may hold out for $95K. I'd float 'em a $91K offer and see if they counter.
Sea blue is a nice leather... very tasteful; it is equal parts dark grey as it is blue. Darken these pics by a shade or two and you'll have a fairly accurate idea:

Old 07-06-2006, 01:04 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

Thanks. Those pics are just what I'm looking for. Do you think they honestly capture the color?
Old 07-06-2006, 01:18 AM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

As I said in email, go for $5k over trade-in value. That's usually about $10k less than what they are asking for it.
Old 07-06-2006, 07:36 AM
cr2000
Advanced

Originally Posted by gary mermel

I've seen some new cars purchased at 7% off msrp, so the asking price at $7k off is not all that impressive. Heck, the original invoice should have been around $93k. What do you think I should be able to get it for?
What year is the car an 05 or an 06? More than the miles, the fact that the car has been registered once makes it used, and thus it must take the initial depreciation hit - regardless of it sitting on a dealer lot. If it's an '06, I'd check Edmunds, figure out the invoice, and offer them $1-2k below that. If it's an '05, go look at the used car pricing and make an offer below dealer retail.

Remember, dealers only give their best price if they know they can close a deal. So back your offer with a committment to buy the same day.
Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 AM
gary mermel
Instructor

The car is an '06, and you guys are right where I was thinking: They already profited on the car to the tune of 10-12k, and are probably pricing a similar profit into it this time. So a couple k back of invoice, or above their probable tradein value, would put the car into the low $90's.

Ruminating......

Surprised, though, that I haven't triggered prostelitizing over the wonders of the 997 vs. the 996

IF I buy this it will be without ever testing the 997, or seeing the sea blue.

In it's way, that seems like fun....

Quick Reply: Price check, and color question....