Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:12 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Every car has their issues. The RMS is not that common of an issue to call the cars crap. The last Corvette I had on my dyno, leaked oil all over it. Same thing from a 600rwhp viper. Made great power (almost 700 torque to the wheels), but left a huge puddle of oil. This seems to be the theme with american cars. Even a leaking RMS won't leave oil on my dyno, lol.

I came from American Muscle, and I will always enjoy seeing big hp wars from the cars. After driving a porsche, I won't go back though, but it doesn't mean I don't respect a Z06, lol.
Old 07-03-2006, 09:19 PM
ohsixx
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Actually, I know a little something about Corvettes; the old ones anyway. I spent over five years building this one. We won a four foot tall trophy that day.

Mostly, raw loud power, with little refinement. This car was so cool they use to line up around it three deep at some shows.

That is my wife in the pic at Vettes @ The Village a few years ago. Gotta love a Corvette!

Old 07-03-2006, 09:34 PM
jbdmd
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have pondered a c6 cab a few times but a couple things have put me off them

1)there are alot of them on the road

2)my sense of the people who own them is well....a bit rednecky?...an awful thing to say i know but i have seen more that a few dudes poping out of them who really really drag the brand down (T to T ratio scewed toward tatto's, wife beater, rusty wallace caps, etc)

for me my car is a total experience...its gorgeous, an amzing driver, has great pedigree but also says something more about how i would prefer to be viewed.
Old 07-03-2006, 10:30 PM
PorscheDoc
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ohsixx

Very cool
Old 07-04-2006, 12:29 AM
Deven
Pro

Received 207 Likes on 105 Posts

I will sadly admit that I did read the massive thread that Harley linked. What started out as usual passionate defense for their brand/marque (which was amusing at times) ended up being derogatory name calling, foreign bashing, typical 'redneck' attitude towards anything that is not 'American', how the Germans killed millions of Jewish people, how the Japanese treated/tortured American POW's, how by not buying American cars we are contributing to the national trade deficit, and even telling fellow posters to go back to 'their homeland' as they were not patriotic, etc, etc, etc. The worst part of it, was that in the end, 'they' lived up to the stereo-type that corvette owners have had for decades (even my wife harbors such stereo types, as she 'warned' me not to buy a Corvette, and I had carte blanche to buy anything else even at twice or trice the price).

Threads like those continue to deter potential buyers form getting an outstanding perfomance vehicle because of the percieved stigmata that goes with it. And despite the current stigmata, I would love to have a piece of the past similar to the piece of art posted above.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:07 AM
boolala
Race Car

I read most of that thread. At first very angry over a perceived "slight" (er sterotype) of the vette owner. Then counterpoint by some intelligent and moderate sounding pcar owner. This followed by a group hug and how we are all car lovers and your car is great and my car is great. Then off on a tangent about WWII and the loss of America's industrial base. There's where I lost interest.

See..I saved you from having to read it if you were so inclined.
Old 07-04-2006, 02:36 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Thanks for the summary, Boo. I had stopped at Post 16.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:00 AM
getoutofmyporsche
Intermediate

I have a technical question. Does 996/997 (other than GT2/GT 3) adopt wet sump rather than dry sump, as they stated in the threads? I understood it's dry sump. Am I misunderstood?
Old 07-04-2006, 03:22 AM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by getoutofmyporsche
I have a technical question. Does 996/997 (other than GT2/GT 3) adopt wet sump rather than dry sump, as they stated in the threads? I understood it's dry sump. Am I misunderstood?
996/997 GT2/3 & Turbo's have the GT1 dry sump case.
Old 07-04-2006, 09:51 AM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

There are many cool things about that engine. But to hear that guy go on and on you'd think a dry sump meant 100 more HP. And, you'd think wet sumps are waiting to explode.

Oh well, like he said there are some pretty hot chicks in trailer parks...

That's classic!
Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

after reading all of those "informative" posts in the vette forum, I realized that I made a mistake in getting my 997. I guess I'll list my car on e-bay today. I hope that it hasn't depreciated too much more because all of this bashing by the vette guys. Before I let it go, I'll drive around town and pose just one more time for old times sake.

Oh never mind, I think I'll keep my car a little longer (44 months) because I can't seem to find an available Z06
Old 07-04-2006, 01:07 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by Deven
I will sadly admit that I did read the massive thread that Harley linked. What started out as usual passionate defense for their brand/marque (which was amusing at times) ended up being derogatory name calling, foreign bashing, typical 'redneck' attitude towards anything that is not 'American', how the Germans killed millions of Jewish people, how the Japanese treated/tortured American POW's, how by not buying American cars we are contributing to the national trade deficit, and even telling fellow posters to go back to 'their homeland' as they were not patriotic, etc, etc, etc. The worst part of it, was that in the end, 'they' lived up to the stereo-type that corvette owners have had for decades (even my wife harbors such stereo types, as she 'warned' me not to buy a Corvette, and I had carte blanche to buy anything else even at twice or trice the price).
That's about right... . Different demographics... .
Old 07-04-2006, 02:50 PM

The vette has some advantages that the 911 simply does not have and visa versa; ie the vette has tons of torque but has a fat, flat *** end, the vette also appears to be quite long especially for a two seater, where the 911 is just the right dimensions. The vette is also quite a bit less $ but....
Old 07-04-2006, 04:09 PM
Deanski
Three Wheelin'

Default Z06 Vette

Prior to getting my C2S, I drove a Z06 and I'll tell you this.... The interior looks like typical GM (crappy) and it gets hot inside the cabin as well. There is quite a bit of road noise too all both due to the use of balsa wood floor covered in carbon fiber. After driving it, sure it's fast as snot, handles well, but steering feels like your driving a much bigger car. Very slushy feel. Drive one and feel for yourself!

After driving it, parked it and the smell of burning fibrglass or plastic is obnoxious as all hell. After an hour in the bay at the dealership it was a very strong odor!

Great car if you do not mind the noise, heat, feel of steering, smell and typical GM interior for the money. I'm a former 1969 L-88 Vette owner and THAT was a sick Vette. But you still cannot get me to purchase one now! Good for the younger crowd that cannot afford a Porsche.

Let them whine! We all know better anyway what each car is capable of and why. I hear it all the time from owners of Vettes. I love my C2S and that's all that matters!

Deanski
Old 07-04-2006, 04:17 PM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by MMD
Different demographics... .
Some of the guys on the Z06 board are pretty low class and apparently not that well educated. When I bought my C6 the regular C6 board had a higher class of people who were pretty much like the people on Rennlist. There was a thread with garage pictures and the demographics were quite similar. Not a single trailer park picture in the lot and some garages had museum quality car collections.

Not all Porsche owners are rich (a recent thread here dealt with a buyer who couldn't get credit) and not all Corvette owners live in trailer parks (a new Z06 isn't exactly cheap). I think it would be best if we kept away from stereotypes.

Alan

Quick Reply: Stupid Z06 Vette owners...