Sponsored by:

Slight Engine Hesitation: Any Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2006, 12:12 AM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Slight Engine Hesitation: Any Ideas?

My engine seems to hesitate a bit upon certain conditions. Any suggestions as to what it may be.

Here are the circumstances:

-Drive the car until it warms up.
-Shut the engine for about 10 minutes (get gas, go into the store, etc).
-Then re-start the vehicle. In automatic mode, depress the gas pedal and it hesitates (hiccups) slightly. I have to let up on the gas pedal then re-depress and the car accelerates fine.

Note: This will not happen if I manually shift the TIP into 1st (In auto mode it starts in 2nd gear). Only when starting in 2nd in AUTO (D) mode after the engine was hot and shut off for a few minutes. This only happens once as well, then won't happen again until the next shut down and re-start within a few minutes.

Could this be some type of vapor lock? Gas used is 92 Octane. Although the temp out here is very hot, this happens in cooler climates as well.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:47 AM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you search you will find there is an engine "glitch" many are experiencing that involves engine hesitating, surging etc. Dealers so far do not recognize it. The conditions are not the same, ie my car did it once in 2500miles, the engine was warm and it began to fluctuate rpm's at steady throttle. No error messages or lights. Temp was not hot . Problem was gone in am. I had used a different brand of gasoline that one time. This may not be related to your issue (not Tip for example) but it bears watching. Intermittent problems are a pita. Good luck.
Old 06-25-2006, 09:57 AM
TheOldMan
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may or may not be related to fuel. I did have a similar experience last summer. Same conditions that you described, warm engine, after a stop, the car would hesitate at low rpms'. The normal premium fuel around here is 91 octane and that is what I was using in the car at the time. Switched to 94 octane and the problem went away.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:20 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Dariof,

Do a search under my user name "mdonline" in the post "my car acted up big time". You will get many more links about this problem. My car hasn't done it ever since, but it really scared me.

Do report the problem to your dealer. They need to log this problem.
Old 06-25-2006, 04:35 PM

Here you go: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/277930-my-car-acted-up-big-time-hesitating-and-very-jerky.html

The scariest thing about what mdonline and some others describe in the thread above is that you never know when or where it may happen again...very unsettlling to say the least.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:46 PM
mdonline
Instructor

500, how do you copy the address link.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:06 PM

md

Visit the specific thread you want to copy, then go to the address bar at the top of the page and right click on it and it should highlight in blue, then scroll down to copy. When you are ready to insert the link in your new post, place the cursor where you want to place the link and left click to position the cursor, then right click to paste it in place.

Hope this helps.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:33 PM
Stephenkng
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are we talk about the problem on Tip. Anyone has that problem on the 6 speeds????
Old 06-26-2006, 08:42 PM
mdonline
Instructor

Originally Posted by 500
md

Visit the specific thread you want to copy, then go to the address bar at the top of the page and right click on it and it should highlight in blue, then scroll down to copy. When you are ready to insert the link in your new post, place the cursor where you want to place the link and left click to position the cursor, then right click to paste it in place.

Hope this helps.
thank you. However, sometimes, the address only says https://rennlist.com/ without the specific address. That doesn't help.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by mdonline
thank you. However, sometimes, the address only says https://rennlist.com/ without the specific address. That doesn't help.
Sorry, it did not help; but I've never had what you describe happen to me before . Perhaps other's will chime in and have a solution.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mdonline
...how do you copy the address link.
The easiest way to copy a link to a thread after you've done a search and a list of threads is displayed is to right-click and select "Copy Shortcut" on the thread of interest .... and then just paste it in your post.

If you're already in a thread, back out to where it's displayed in a list, such as at the 997 Forum entrance.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:50 PM
jvmca
AutoX

Default Engine Hesitation - Dealer Acknowledges

I had the engine hesitation after a full day of driving. I was low on fuel and thought I was runnging out of gas. Filled up at nearest station (paid $4.00/gallon in Malibu) and problem persisted. Limped home and put in garage. The next day, no problem.

Beverly Hills Porsche is aware of the problem, likely a software issue with the fuel mapping. No solution yet, but dealer encourages everyone to report cases. Interestingly, the dealer stated that he thought this was a 6-speed issue only, but this thread also involves Tips. I let him know when I pick the car up on Wednesday.

BTW, the main problem for dealer visit was PASM failure. Has anyone else experienced this? Light comes on and no way to engage Sport mode. Also, the backend seems to loosen up.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:21 PM
DTMELM
Track Day

Default Happened twice this weekend...

I had read about this over the last few weeks and had it actually happen to me twice this weekend. We have an '06 C2 with Tip...Both times was in very hot weather (95 or so) and after we had stopped somewhere. Once we got back in and pulled out to the road, the initial 1/2 throttle would induce a stumble or hesitation. If it was carburated, I'd have sworn it was a vapor lock sort of situation. Note that after the initial hesitation, it ran fine and wound through the gears without problem...Really seems to be heat related to me (as these are the only two times I've experienced it but we only have 1200 miles so we'll see)...

D.
Old 07-05-2006, 05:38 PM
Dariof
Not an Addict?
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DTMELM
I had read about this over the last few weeks and had it actually happen to me twice this weekend. We have an '06 C2 with Tip...Both times was in very hot weather (95 or so) and after we had stopped somewhere. Once we got back in and pulled out to the road, the initial 1/2 throttle would induce a stumble or hesitation. If it was carburated, I'd have sworn it was a vapor lock sort of situation. Note that after the initial hesitation, it ran fine and wound through the gears without problem...Really seems to be heat related to me (as these are the only two times I've experienced it but we only have 1200 miles so we'll see)...

D.
Excatly how it happened to me. Seems as if it were vapor lock (like it had a carb). Then it ran great after the initial (only one) hesitation.

Hasn't happened to me since I posted as well.
Old 07-05-2006, 06:31 PM
Deven
Pro

Received 201 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
The easiest way to copy a link to a thread after you've done a search and a list of threads is displayed is to right-click and select "Copy Shortcut" on the thread of interest .... and then just paste it in your post.

If you're already in a thread, back out to where it's displayed in a list, such as at the 997 Forum entrance.
That works. The other option is to Right click mouse, hit properties, then highlight and copy the full url whenyou are on the actual thread that you want to save/copy/link, etc.

Quick Reply: Slight Engine Hesitation: Any Ideas?