Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 04:21 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
Fluid,--how is it holding up?
Regarding the U-Coat-It, unfortunately I haven't been able to test it since the house has been sitting empty (we won't be moving until end of the year)! Looks good though, a friend of mine really likes it and plans to do his garage soon.
Old 08-24-2016, 12:08 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Reviving this old thread from 2006 because I wondered if anyone can recommend any new products? Trying to avoid tire lift. I live is FL so I need strong stuff.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:19 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by fluid15
Regarding the U-Coat-It, unfortunately I haven't been able to test it since the house has been sitting empty (we won't be moving until end of the year)! Looks good though, a friend of mine really likes it and plans to do his garage soon.
I lived in that house for 4 years - the U-Coat-It was only 'ok.' Slightly disappointing. Lost it's luster quickly and had some slight peeling. I'm going to build another house within the year and need to find a good, long term solution.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:42 PM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend 2 part epoxy garage floor professional installed. You pay more, but will come with warranty and don't have to breathe nasty chemicals.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:50 PM
fluid15
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by verboten
I would recommend 2 part epoxy garage floor professional installed. You pay more, but will come with warranty and don't have to breathe nasty chemicals.
Right now that's my default option. I'm still going to explore other surfaces but unless I find something that pulls at me i'm going with a Professionally installed, 2-part epoxy. There's some good reading over at GarageJournal.com.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:29 PM
wc11
Race Car

Received 154 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by DrDrilZ
how about racedeck tiles? only real downside is they have a plastic feel to them. but you place some pergo underlayment beneath it to give it a sturdier feel.
+1 on the Racedeck.

Originally Posted by ELUSIVE
If you spill oil or any other liquid on racedeck, how do you prevent it from seeping between the tiles?
I painted the floor prior to laying down the tiles so as not to have bare concrete.
4 years on and no issues. Even with snow, salt etc.
Attached Images  
Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 PM
pgurt3
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out Spartacote Systems: https://www.hpspartacote.com/polyasp...s/sparta-chip/
I used Sparta-Guard at first but after two yrs it started to bubble up a bit where the tires sit. Called the company who installed it (a distributor) and they came out and re-did the whole garage with Sparta-Chip at no charge. Looks great and is holding up very well.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:48 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn C
Reviving this old thread from 2006 because I wondered if anyone can recommend any new products? Trying to avoid tire lift. I live is FL so I need strong stuff.
See my thread on GarageJournal here:

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=181620

3+ years and zero issues, recent pictures also included towards end of thread.
I think I was the first to use RB in a non industrial or commercial application (for a home garage), but it has become very popular since for DIY and pro installer garage projects.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Thanks guys, Just wondered what brand of products a 2 part pro installer would be using??
Allot of fakers out there that might show up with Home Depot brand. I'm going to do the surface prep myself, Etch and grind.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:18 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Timely thread resurrection as I’m painting my garage this Sat, this is my third garage over many years and I’m going a different rout this time.

I’ve used the 2 part epoxy twice on garage floors once prepared by me and another garage done professionally and every time at least for me, the rear tire and turbo area lifted the epoxy over time (like > 5 years).
I think in my case it may be mostly due to the climate I live in, extremely hot during spring and summer months as I have read others have no problems in cooler climates.

This time I have a 4 car garage with the front 2 car area elevated for foot traffic, chairs, table, engines on stands and such and the lower 2 car area for parking cars.
The upper area I’m going to use Hottrax paint (buying it at OSH) and the lower area using RaceDeck. In the lower area I will paint a perimeter around it and let the RaceDeck fill in everything else.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:19 AM
verboten
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Forgot to mention, epoxy floor is the best thing I have done to my home. Nothing is absorbed, no dust to bring in house, easy to find dropped screws/ bolts and can wash and squeegee floor ( salt during winter) in minutes.

I was so thrilled I added heat, sound, and knotty alder crown molding to make a like another room. In fact, I have slept out there a few times...in the dog house.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:02 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Stripped my floor over the weekend Using an orbital with a diamond cutting blade, What a PITA. Ready for a 2 part epoxy now. Just not sure If I should hire it done or do it myself too.

Old 08-30-2016, 10:36 AM
Jason DeWilde
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another race deck recommendation here. I used free-flow tiles and recommend highly!

Old 08-31-2016, 08:32 PM
Shawn C
Racer

Looks Nice!
Old 09-01-2016, 06:28 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn C
Stripped my floor over the weekend Using an orbital with a diamond cutting blade, What a PITA. Ready for a 2 part epoxy now. Just not sure If I should hire it done or do it myself too.
I understand why you would want to do the prep yourself--to make sure that it's done correctly.

But, keep in mind that you'll be hard-pressed to find an epoxy installer that will warranty his work if the homeowner does the prep himself--even if you do a better job than he would.

A good installer will insist that his crew does it to mitigate his reputational risk and to prevent callbacks. A crappy installer will let you do it but use your prep as the reason he's not going to fix the mess he made.

Quick Reply: Griot's Garage Floor Paint?