Sponsored by:

Is the PSE Switch for real

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2006, 10:05 PM
SantaMonicaP
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the PSE Switch for real

I am spending the Xtra $$ to have the Switch installed so that I can turn off the PSE if needed. My friends think that this sounds like a Gimmick, that you can not shut down the sound of an exhaust. I guess I just don't understand how it works. When the PSE is deactivated, is it as quiet as a stock exhaust? I know this is really basic stuff to some of you, sorry for the ignorance.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:58 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

PSE deactivated is louder than stock. PSE activated is significantly louder than stock. The button activates a valve 'flap' that increases the sound.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:54 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

with pse off i did not notice it being louder than before i had pse
Old 05-20-2006, 04:02 PM
gravedgr
Rennlist Member

Received 436 Likes on 219 Posts

We test drove a 997 C2S with stock exhaust, and then and went and listened to one with PSE. It seemed louder even when off, but it could have been since it was indoors (service area).
Old 05-21-2006, 01:49 AM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

I have PSE on my Sport Chrono-equipped C4S. In "sport" mode, the exhaust is markedly louder inside the car, and dramatically louder outside.

When you turn off the switch, the vacuum operated bypass baffles close and route 100% of the exhaust gas through the mufflers.

Yes, it works. Tell your friends not to doubt German engineers. <g>

Buy it, Santa Monica. You'll love it!
Old 05-21-2006, 03:53 AM
SantaMonicaP
Intermediate

Thanks GUys! I bought it over the weekend, should have it installed next week. Well let ya know!
Old 05-21-2006, 12:46 PM
dstrimbu
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by SantaMonicaP
Thanks GUys! I bought it over the weekend, should have it installed next week. Well let ya know!
I promise, you'll be grinning like the Cheshire Cat. It's the perfect level of "zoom" for me - not too loud, but very "authoritative" - get on it with the PSE active, and I promise you'll turn heads. Turn it off, and you'll squeek by un-noticed.

Best of both worlds? IMHO.

My buddy Brian with the Tubi on his F355 would disagree, but I'm older and more conservative than he is...

-don
Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dstrimbu
I promise, you'll be grinning like the Cheshire Cat. It's the perfect level of "zoom" for me - not too loud, but very "authoritative" - get on it with the PSE active, and I promise you'll turn heads. Turn it off, and you'll squeek by un-noticed.

Best of both worlds? IMHO.

My buddy Brian with the Tubi on his F355 would disagree, but I'm older and more conservative than he is...

-don
Taotally with you, sometimes I like to hear it and sometimes I like to go "subterranian" so it's the best of both worlds. NO EXHAUST SYSTEM WILL MAKE ANY KIND OF POWER WITHOUT OTHER EXTENSIVE, EXPENSIVE MODS.

This is not to dis guys who like louder systems but I enjoy the switch and dont need it any louder anyy time.

Quick Reply: Is the PSE Switch for real