Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No tire road hazard Ins. is gonna cost me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 05:44 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Well, replacing at Discount Tires vs dealer is about $100 difference in labor and price of tire. We had a flat and my wife called roadside assistance... went to the dealer and costs were about $595.
Discount would've done it for $470 for the rear 305/30/19, installed and balanced.
But Discount Tire will strip your lug nuts and scratch up your rims in the process. I've had them screw up tires on two of my vehicles because I was such a cheap skate, but I'll be going to the dealership for the 997 when the day comes. They have special equipment and they know better than to screw up the wheels because they have lots of people like us who would notice and raise hell.

My local dealership (Barrier) says they would install 4 tires from TireRack.com for $150 which is about $50 more than local places I've used in the past. To me the extra $50 is a no-brainer.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:15 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that depends on which Discount Tire you go to as well. The guys I use take a lot of care on my other car's wheels. Never had a scratch on them nor a rounded bolt. But they are use to dealing with expensive rims. You are right though, I wouldn't go to just any DT. Then again I've had Porsche dealers screw up on stuff too. YMMV.
Old 04-24-2006, 06:52 PM
ronmart
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Eggplant Cab
Well that depends on which Discount Tire you go to as well. The guys I use take a lot of care on my other car's wheels. Never had a scratch on them nor a rounded bolt. But they are use to dealing with expensive rims. You are right though, I wouldn't go to just any DT. Then again I've had Porsche dealers screw up on stuff too. YMMV.
True, it isn't fair to lump them all together. However, the ones here in my area have been brutal on my wheels so I've had to stop using them.

The Porsche dealer was happy to show me their new equipment they use to avoid scratching the rims and assured me that they take great care in ensuring they won't scratch the rims or the lug nuts. I'll be sure to shout from the rooftops if they do scratch them, so for now I'll trust that they'll do a good job.
Old 04-25-2006, 05:14 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you guys are ever in Canada, don't use Kal tire if you can avoid it.
They tried to upsell me parts that I didn't need.
they refused to give me an alignment because I needed new tierods that they could sell me... I had them show me the problem and it was nothing. I laughed in their face and told them to drop the car. took it to another shop, no problems. Funny how the condition of my tie rods got dramatically better during a 10 minute drive
Kal tire is owned by the same company that owns the pacific northwest DT, by the way, ronmart.
Old 04-25-2006, 08:46 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i will never go to discount again - they scratched a rim on my boxster and forgot to replace 1 of the lug nuts - when your 1 job is wheels and tires and you cant even remember to replace all the lug nuts - IDIOTS
Old 04-25-2006, 03:04 PM
humbug
Advanced

Does any know where you can buy tire/wheel insurance without going through a dealership?
Old 04-25-2006, 03:11 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Same thing happened to me 1st week I had my Cayman. Nail in sidewall. $450. The dealership had forgot to mention that they had a road policy....... I probably would not have paid for one if they had mentioned it though.
Old 04-25-2006, 04:46 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

I'll be picking up the new tire/rim later today. They had to order the tire but at least they overnighted-it. So we'll see how much the $1.50 lane reflector costs me.

Speaking of Cayman's, my buddy at work is picking his up tonight so i'm going to give him a lift over to Autobahn in Ft. Worth. At least I can help him celebrate and take some pics! Arctic silver with a coco interior
Old 04-26-2006, 02:03 AM
Pete Lech
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I was bothered by the lack of a spare already, and if a road reflector can blow a tire, sheesh!!

Trip to Parade Portland is coming up, through a lot of desolate roads up the eastern side of Calif. A can of snot and a pump aren't much comfort!
Old 04-26-2006, 08:23 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 222 Likes on 147 Posts

Then he goes "I did but your wife said no!" So I sent her the bill for the flat

You are setting a dangerous precedent. You wife may start charging you for services that she rendered.
Old 04-26-2006, 09:23 AM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Default $$$

So what does a new tire cost with mounting and labor (at my local dealer)?
Total was $590.

I guess that will teach me to drive over reflector strips. Funny though, I drove in to work this morning and there is no way to avoid hitting them -even when you thread the car like an AX. They're everywhere....

I refuse to use the Goo...

Quick Reply: No tire road hazard Ins. is gonna cost me...