Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No tire road hazard Ins. is gonna cost me...

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2006, 07:30 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

The Gooodyear runflats on the Vettes come with a Goodyear road hazard warranty for one year. Too bad Michelin doesn't do the same on the PS2's.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eggplant....Am I reading your post right, they offered you Tire & Wheel Ins for $550.00 a year!!! Wow... Is that because it's after the purchase of your 997 or is that what they offer to NEW buyers?

On my wife's BMW, although not a Porsche, we got Tire & Wheel Ins (Luxury) for $330.00 for 5 years.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:38 PM
allegretto
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to consider both tires and wheels, both more expensive on Porsche.
They have different catagories and Porsches are up there with F's and L's.
Old 04-23-2006, 07:50 PM
MrMetrx
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Since I do plan on purchasing a 997 in the near future, what is the average cost for Tire & Wheel Ins ?? I know this might be a hard question to answer due to the many dealers but how about a ballpark figure? And also do they have a price cap per claim?
Old 04-23-2006, 07:59 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Originally Posted by MrMetrx
Eggplant....Am I reading your post right, they offered you Tire & Wheel Ins for $550.00 a year!!! Wow... Is that because it's after the purchase of your 997 or is that what they offer to NEW buyers?

On my wife's BMW, although not a Porsche, we got Tire & Wheel Ins (Luxury) for $330.00 for 5 years.
Opps it's 5 years. Thanks for the catch... sunday foggy mind.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:46 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vancouver
Yes that is the culprit. I went back tonight to take a look and could not find the exact reflector (something sharp sticking up).
Can't imagine why it would puncture the tire.

With the price of these tires and the seemingly fragile sidewall, I will probably do the insurance thing in the future.
so now, everytime a see a reflector i'm gonna have to avoid each one? Luckily it was near the house, otherwise yesterday's sunday drive would have put me 40 miles away with no spare and a cell phone with a dead battery. So I guess there is a silver lining in there somewhere
Old 04-23-2006, 10:11 PM
Bob/Ft. Worth
Racer

SO a 996 spare will fit. But what about the 18" vs. 19" on the 997S. I would presume you can't use an 18" rim with 19's on the other 3 wheels?? or is it one of those 'any port in the storm' kind of things
Old 04-24-2006, 12:02 AM
Vancouver83LTD
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bob/Ft. Worth
Vancouver
Yes that is the culprit. I went back tonight to take a look and could not find the exact reflector (something sharp sticking up).
Can't imagine why it would puncture the tire.

With the price of these tires and the seemingly fragile sidewall, I will probably do the insurance thing in the future.
so now, everytime a see a reflector i'm gonna have to avoid each one? Luckily it was near the house, otherwise yesterday's sunday drive would have put me 40 miles away with no spare and a cell phone with a dead battery. So I guess there is a silver lining in there somewhere
actuially I find that when those reflectors get ripped off the road, just from normal wear (remember they're essentially just stuck on, not embedded as much) they break apart at the reflector and they have extremely sharp edges
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Originally Posted by GR997S
Do you have to file the claim with the dealer you bought it from? I live in South OC and buying from a dealer in Northern Cal.
It doesn't matter where the mishap occurs with the policy I bought from the dealer on my new 997S, coverage extends anywhere in U.S. and Canada-(with this company
http://www.iasdirect.com/products/in...ta%20sheet.pdf }
5-year policy was $500., which dealer claimed was a discounted rate. Considering the cost of our 19" wheels & tyres it's worth it in my opinion, as I put a LOT of miles on cars and there is no limit to the # of tire and wheel replacements during the 5-year term. More than anything you are buying peace of mind- of course the odds are against needing it, otherwise the underwriters would not turn a profit. As someone else said, one incident and it's paid for.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:22 AM
humbug
Advanced

Carbon_Ted have you filed a claim with this tire/wheel insurance outfit yet or has anyone else have any stories about their service? My dealer said they did not sale tire/wheel insurance...can I purchase this independently?
Old 04-24-2006, 09:17 AM
robbonds
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

i paid $299 for wheel and tire insurance for 5yrs...1 flat tire and it pays for itself...i had 4 or 5 flat tires on the boxster in 4 yrs
Old 04-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Carbon_Ted
Advanced

Originally Posted by humbug
Carbon_Ted have you filed a claim with this tire/wheel insurance outfit yet or has anyone else have any stories about their service? My dealer said they did not sale tire/wheel insurance...can I purchase this independently?
No claims filed yet here. Surprised that your dealer doesn't offer it, seems like a no brainer for them.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:28 PM
humbug
Advanced

I just called both Porsche dealerships here in San Diego and both did not offer any tire/wheel insurance. The service tech. went on to say that if there is any flats with tires on my vehicle that the recommend replacing the tire and not repairing them. That can be quite expensive!
Old 04-24-2006, 02:58 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

So do we "have to" bring our car/ flat tire to the dealer to get it fix? Or since we have to replace it as "recommended" by the service dept, we can just buy one anywhere.
Old 04-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Eggplant Cab
Pro

Well, replacing at Discount Tires vs dealer is about $100 difference in labor and price of tire. We had a flat and my wife called roadside assistance... went to the dealer and costs were about $595.
Discount would've done it for $470 for the rear 305/30/19, installed and balanced.

Quick Reply: No tire road hazard Ins. is gonna cost me...