Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!

Old 03-22-2011, 01:37 AM
stbarbara
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Missing satellite radio, and customer care

This is an interesting thread, but I have a updated question with a new car.
I bought a 2011 Cayenne S, completely loaded, including Burmester sound system, special sound-insulating glass, the whole works. i ordered XM satellite radio, but the car was delivered without it. The dealer offers monetary compensation (and not even enough to pay for a system like Cartronics, let alone installation), but evidently no available third-party satellite radio will work with PCM, due to Porsche not cooperating with providers to license the software.
The car is great in every other regard, but i am astonished that Porsche can do nothing to fix their mistake, or show respect for customer satisfaction. This is not rocket science (well, not the receiver part).
Does anybody know of a solution to connect sat radio to new PCM?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:22 PM
Musclehedz101
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stbarbara
This is an interesting thread, but I have a updated question with a new car.
I bought a 2011 Cayenne S, completely loaded, including Burmester sound system, special sound-insulating glass, the whole works. i ordered XM satellite radio, but the car was delivered without it. The dealer offers monetary compensation (and not even enough to pay for a system like Cartronics, let alone installation), but evidently no available third-party satellite radio will work with PCM, due to Porsche not cooperating with providers to license the software.
The car is great in every other regard, but i am astonished that Porsche can do nothing to fix their mistake, or show respect for customer satisfaction. This is not rocket science (well, not the receiver part).
Does anybody know of a solution to connect sat radio to new PCM?
"To every lock, there is a key."
Considering Porsche offers & ships the Cayenne with the XM option you can order as a retro-fit kit from dealer. Personally I would go to another dealer as yours doesn't sound trust worthy...

Find another dealer, call the parts dept and ask for a retro kit for you car. The other option would be to have parts dept build a kit based off part info in Service tech bulletins used whenever they have to service a Cayenne with a "failing" unit/system.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:58 PM
stbarbara
2nd Gear

Thanks for help Musclehedz!
Unfortunately Porsche does not offer a retro-fit kit. I checked other Porsche dealers to confirm that it wasn't just my dealer.
However, i found a more helpful dealer who is aware of the problem of integrating XM to PCM 3. He knew of a new after-market product that just became available. I haven't seen it with my own eyes, but have been told it works seamlessly. The only catch: it costs $2350, and i will have to travel 4 hours, plus install time, to get it done.
I am still shocked that Porsche cares so little about their customers that they would fail to remedy their own error. Is this normal? I guess i had higher expectations for a luxury brand.

Last edited by stbarbara; 03-26-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-27-2011, 12:25 PM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Here you go and it works on PCM3

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...leted-diy.html
Old 05-10-2011, 06:16 PM
dbosche
AutoX

And to make you feel more confident, I just had this installed on my car. It does work seamlessly. The only issue is that you DO NOT get XM traffic info integrated into the PCM. As this is an aftermarket SIRIUS unit, it only integrates the audio part.

Also, the unit retail is $900. That's cost to a dealer (more or less). So, I'm guessing you could get a local car audio place to install it for you for a few hundred $s. I was quoted $1250 for a Porsche dealer in LA to install FYI.

So, you are NOT getting the same as the OEM install, but you are indeed getting a PCM integrated Sat system: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...leted-diy.html
Old 05-11-2011, 06:36 PM
hjacobs2000
Instructor

Originally Posted by dbosche
And to make you feel more confident, I just had this installed on my car. It does work seamlessly. The only issue is that you DO NOT get XM traffic info integrated into the PCM. As this is an aftermarket SIRIUS unit, it only integrates the audio part.

Also, the unit retail is $900. That's cost to a dealer (more or less). So, I'm guessing you could get a local car audio place to install it for you for a few hundred $s. I was quoted $1250 for a Porsche dealer in LA to install FYI.

So, you are NOT getting the same as the OEM install, but you are indeed getting a PCM integrated Sat system: http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...leted-diy.html
agreed, but as you stated, "it does work seamlessly" as a SIRIUS aftermarket unit (the only one out there for PCM3) and since the OEM unit is XM and not SIRIUS, it's the SIRIUS install and lack of XM traffic options that speak for itself (if my wording is correct). That being said, a brilliant job from NAV-TV for developing this. I would also state that this integrates into the back of the PCM3audio and does not work with the PCM3 aux jack.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:46 PM
NAM VET
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

test, pls ignore
Old 09-02-2011, 09:47 AM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

i installed it on mine but within 2 weeks am already getting glitches in operation. freezing, loss of channell etc. right now they have not "heard" of any such issues and i am to call back. i doubt i am the first to glitch based on another post?
Old 09-06-2011, 01:15 PM
dbosche
AutoX

Default Glitches, yes

Originally Posted by Cpa4S
i installed it on mine but within 2 weeks am already getting glitches in operation. freezing, loss of channell etc. right now they have not "heard" of any such issues and i am to call back. i doubt i am the first to glitch based on another post?
Yes, I have also consistently had the following issues that I have just written up to it being an aftermarket option. If you investigate and find resolution, I'd love to hear:
1) Sometimes will not change channels. Basically freezes on a channel. Only resolution has been to wait for a long period of time or turn car off for some time then return.
2) "Updating channel list" can take hours. Resolution is to leave it in this mode upon parking and somehow it completes in its sleep.
3) Freeze entire PCM and force re-boot. This has only happened a few times, but once re-booted (which the PCM does itself) - It comes back to life.

We have simply been using the iPOD more for now

-Dean
Old 09-06-2011, 10:32 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

mine needs rebooting everytime i start, so basically i have no navi anymore as an effect of the re-boot is to knock out the maps.

i will likely just remove the NAV-TV system and toss it.
Old 09-07-2011, 04:24 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

they THINK it is a voltage thing and will fix it when they can. they have alot installed so they are hoping it is a software issue but if it is hardware then replace. the fault is apprarently not their product so i doubt you will see a fre swap out.

i think i am removing mine and taking the hit.

no more NAV TV products for me - piece of crap.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:29 PM
Cpa4S
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Cartronics
We have had no problems with our Porsche SAT system. You can see it at Cartronics.com
your site says pcm 2.1.

we are talking about the pcm 3.0 systems.

thx anyway
Old 10-19-2011, 10:15 PM
dbosche
AutoX

Default UPDATE: Works again!

As an update to the issues I have been having with my NAV-TV SIRPOR3, I just installed the firmware update (released about a month ago) and the unit works seamlessly. No more freezing, no more system crashes, and now I even get the live artist name and text. I can switch from channel to channel etc. In short, it works as described at this point.

I would now highly recommend this unit if you don't have OEM sat radio and have PCM3.

Cheers,
-Dean
Old 10-21-2011, 03:30 PM
oldskoul
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dbosche
Yes, I have also consistently had the following issues that I have just written up to it being an aftermarket option. If you investigate and find resolution, I'd love to hear:
1) Sometimes will not change channels. Basically freezes on a channel. Only resolution has been to wait for a long period of time or turn car off for some time then return.
2) "Updating channel list" can take hours. Resolution is to leave it in this mode upon parking and somehow it completes in its sleep.
3) Freeze entire PCM and force re-boot. This has only happened a few times, but once re-booted (which the PCM does itself) - It comes back to life.

We have simply been using the iPOD more for now

-Dean
I have a 08 Cayenne and currently suffering from problem #2. I left overnight outside in case the antanne needed to work over night but still updating... Does anyone else have experience with "Updating Channel list?"
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 PM
dbosche
AutoX

Do you have PCM3? I think 2008 year models have 2.X or something, so the device I am using (NAV-TV SIRPOR3) isn't the one you are using.

Irrespective, I too had that same issue (channel list updating takes forever), and once I updated my devices firmware, it went away.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I have Satellite Radio in my 997 C4S Cab!