Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A waiter again. Winter is here, and now I wait for Spring.

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2005, 10:00 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts
Default A waiter again. Winter is here, and now I wait for Spring.

Now that we have had a foot of snow here in Connecticut today, the official snow season has begun. It's my first winter with my new 997 S Cab and from the looks of things I will not be driving it soon. As a matter of fact it will probably sit idle for the next three months, unless we get a break in the weather. Hey, for those who drive in the winter, God bless you. I don't know how you avoid hitting ice with the car being so low. In any event I inflated the tires, put stabilizer in the tank, had the oil changed, washed and waxed it, and put it to bed with the cover. I also put a few more mouse traps in the garage.
Now I'll wait until the end of February or the begining of March to start driving again. That's going to be tough, but what else can you do. So I'm a waiter again; waiting for Spring.

PS. I here it's a good idea to move the car periodically to rotate the tires. Does anyone know if it's good to let the car warm up to temperature during these intervals? Thanks for any advice.

Jay
Old 12-09-2005, 10:13 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you have a Porsche battery maintainer plugged in..
Old 12-09-2005, 10:37 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That is a sad, sad image. Poor car.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:45 PM
944kid
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just let it warm up and take it around the block every now and then, when it's dry out of course! It's good to drive them, Ferry commands you!

~the kid
Old 12-09-2005, 10:51 PM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 229 Likes on 125 Posts

That style home and garage look familiar! (I used to live in Nashua, NH). One more thing to consider for the INSIDE of the car. Some sort of small heater to keep the cockpit dry. Some people also use silica gel. Is it a little clammy in your garage? Might keep the insides from getting a little musty.

Dan

2006 Carrera S Cab 12 May 06 Delivery
98 Paint to Sample (Talbot Blue), Full leather--Natural Brown, V9 Black top,
Natural Brown mats, 342 Heated Front Seats, 680 Bose Stereo, 692 Remote CD,
450 Ceramic Brakes PCCB, 482 Tire Pressure Monitoring Sys, 550 Hard Top,
640 Sport Chrono, P01L Adaptive Spt Seats, XLF 2-Stage Spt Exhaust,
407 SportDesign Wheels, 451 Makassar Str Whl Mult Function, 801 Makassar Package,
XJT Rear Ctr. Console Makassar, XSB Sport Seat Backs in Leather,
Mirror Dimmer, Navigation System
498 Delete Model Designation, CUC Painted Model Desig Rear, Euro Delivery
Old 12-09-2005, 11:34 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Raklaw, I do have a battery maintainer. Sorry for the omission. Dan I will look into the silica gel. I am not familiar with it, but sounds very plausible.

Thanks for the responses.

Jay.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:40 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Good for you. I have used them with great success while my rides were in hibernation. I grew up in Meriden, though that Sunset with possible Mountain to the West looks like NW CT?
Old 12-09-2005, 11:44 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Yes, it's Litchfield county, Woodbury, CT to be exact. We have a great view on ten acres. A tough, steep, drive way in the winter, but worth it in the spring, summer, and fall.

Jay
Old 12-10-2005, 05:38 AM
BiggerTwin
Racer

Originally Posted by Pugnacious
Unless you can drive the car and get it up to full operating temperature for awhile (20 to 30 minutes minimum) it would be better to just let it sit.
I was taught the same thing for two reasons: 1) condensation that forms in the oil will just get spread throughout the motor and not get burned off if the engine isn't hot; 2) you use more juice from the battery to start the motor than will get recharged if you only let it idle for a few minutes. While a battery charger eliminates the second reason, the first still applies.

I also live in the Northeast and have never had a problem letting my sports car sit relatively idle over the winter. It is a rare year when we don't have dry roads and a decent opportunity to get the car out for a drive or two over the winter. If you do take it out be careful since summer performance tires lose quite a bit of grip in cold temperatures.

Alan
Old 12-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Sean F
NASA Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I was out yesterday in the same area and the roads were great by mid-day. Car was fine. I'm putting the winter tires on Monday. I'm looking forward to driving all winter, with the help of seat warmers. I got the last set of Porsche spec winter tires from TireRack. I assume I'll probably get a little nick here and there with ice, but it will give her some character (she's already got a little). Besides, I won't be as nervous about a little more damage taking her to the track next year. I plan on driving this car into the ground (and buying an early 70's 911 to restore/treat like a princess).
Old 12-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Sands
Instructor

I live in CT too and I think it's good to get the car out on those clear, nice days that we have from time to time. It gets the suspension parts moving and the oil circulating. Your car will enjoy the fresh air, sun and opportunity to stretch her legs.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:14 PM
Anthony4579
Intermediate

Just took the car out of hibernation for around a 40 minute run on some New Jersey side roads (202 for those of you familiar with NJ). It was a little painful to run through some still slushy areas but all in all not too bad. The first high 40's day we get and I will give it a washing, it only has 450 miles so far so any chance I get to run it before the worst of winter settles in has to be taken. I do have a question - where can I find the silica packs that were mentioned earlier in the post to control interior moisture through the winter? Thanks!
Old 12-11-2005, 07:04 PM
jpcourt
Burning Brakes

Hey Jay, I’m not to far from you I live in the Northville section of New Milford.

I too spent the day getting the car ready for its winter nap. I will take it out a few times over the winter on days that are warm enough for me to wash it after the ride.

Here is a question for someone, if you let you car idle for half an hour ever 3 or so week does that do more damage than good? The car does get up to temp. I did this with my Boxter over the last couple of winters and I was planning to do the same with my C4S, any opinions?
Old 12-11-2005, 09:38 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Agreed.. Though there are differences of opinion, I have always believed that merely warming a cold motor up to full temp by idling, without putting any load ( driving) on the vehicle does no good. Synthetic oils like mobil 1 can sit the few weeks between the time of the salt and slush, and the days when you can take your car out for a 30 minute quick run in areas like CT where there isn't snow on the roads all winter. Especially when a car hasn't been fully broken in...idling for 30 minutes without load is not a good idea.
Old 12-11-2005, 11:26 PM
DJ23
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the comments about letting the car idle and getting up to temp. I will just have to wait for those days when the roads are somewhat clear and give it a 30 min ride. I just can't let it sit for 3 months straight; no way.

Jay

Quick Reply: A waiter again. Winter is here, and now I wait for Spring.