Sponsored by:

Baby got a scrape on her chin

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2005, 10:42 AM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Baby got a scrape on her chin

Well I am a bit bummed this morning, but things I guess could have been worse. Last night I pulled into a parking spot very carefully, but right as I stopped I felt a slight scrape. When I looked, there was a nice scrape under the front of the bumper caused by the high curb in front of the car. I guess I should have stopped literally 1 inch sooner.

I am lucky that you cannot really see this scrape looking at the front bumper, whether standing in front or bending down. But if you crouch down on your knees and look for it, you can see the beginning of the scrape. The main part of the scrape is under the bumper.

What are my options here? I guess leaving it alone is one option. Can a body shop wet sand it down or somehow hide it? This is no scratch - it is a real fiberglass scrape. Perhaps I get the Techart front bumper body kit (seriously) - that would hide it - no?

The photo below shows the scrape - it looks worse than it is in the photo - but remember you cant see it unless you get down there and look for it.

Last edited by 1080iAddict; 01-07-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Sobe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 11-20-2005, 12:09 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would leave it for now or perhaps purchase one of those "scrape protectors" that mount under the front air dam (means a few holes in the air damn) and are utilized as the "scrapping" surface vice the vehicle.

My Boxster, my previous Vettes, M3, all have suffered a little rash under the chin no matter how careful one drives.

If it were me on the new car, I would wait for a few more (as long as you can only see them from below) and every now and then get it re-shoot. I'm not too fond of placing those protectors under the car due to some screw holes and the effects on the aerodynamics of the vehicle.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:31 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I've done that too.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:22 PM
MMD
Banned

Yeah, leave it alone. Wait until someone backs into the front bumper requiring it's replacement. At most, just get on your back with a vial of touch up paint and have a ball.
Old 11-20-2005, 01:51 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

the is now worthless...you wont even be able to sell it..this will go on car fax....since i am a nice guy, i will take it off your hands for a few thousand dollars...of course i am kidding...i have dont that with various nice cars in the past...you are always mad at your self..but ,like you said, you cant see it....wouldnt even consider repaint unless over the years you get multiple scratches
Old 11-20-2005, 02:17 PM
Chris C.
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 283 Posts

Well, I had a similar brain fart this weekend, 1" scuff on my lowered car's chin. 600 miles and it's no longer a virgin. I am going to have the dealer's touch up guy have a go at it. With a little sanding and a professional touch-up, hopefully it is less noticeable. Mine is just visible from 2 feet, but it's there and I know it

Kinda wished now I'd had the nose cap covered with 3M stuff...but unless your car's a museum piece it's going to get rock chips on the nose anyway, right? ;(
Old 11-20-2005, 03:07 PM
996FLT6
Rennlist Member

Received 248 Likes on 204 Posts

Touch up paint and your good to go. Most will not see it neway and belive me there's going to be way more paint chips etc as time goes. Regards. Mike
Old 11-20-2005, 03:33 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's easy. You're lucky. If, as it looks, you didn't break the paint but just scuffed it badly, then a rotory buffer with a 7006 wool cutting pad, Meguiars #2 middle cut, and about five seconds of light pressure on each scuff.

Follow the rotory with an orbital with an 8006 pad polishing aggressively with #83. Finish with a hand app of #7 and your favorite wax.

Heck, bring it by and I'll do it. Rib eyes and Sammy Adams at 2pm.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:06 PM
1080iAddict
Burning Brakes

Well, inasmuch as i can feel and see the fiberglass, the scrape broke the paint! But it seems that some sort of wet sanding or polishing would smooth it out and then maybe they can match the paint. I am going to take her to the body shop that did some work on my wife's car and see what they think.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:11 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Oh sh#t! My bad. The bottom edge didn't register in my little mind.

We're gonna need more beer.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:15 PM
Holli82
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 25 Posts

The first scratch/dent is always a bummer. Probably something that most people would never see. The key is you know it's there and if it bugs you then fix it.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:28 PM
texas911
Race Car

This is available at automotion.com. Might help in the future.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
Paul S.
Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts

It happens--it is fixable but I wouldn't bother since it's not a visible thing. Wait until you need to repaint the front bumper for something that does show--I've had the same thing happen on about half my Porsches. I'm hoping my Club Coupe will be in the never scuffed group--but I'm probably due since my 3 1/2 year old Boxster S is unscathed, so my luck is bound to run out sooner or later.
Old 11-21-2005, 01:49 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Adam, for one thing, it's not fiberglass, so don't start asking shops about their experience with fiberglass. The front bumper cover is one large plastic piece (about $1000 worth, just in case you're thinking of replacing it - but I wouldn't). If it's just a scuff and there is still paint underneath (including clearcoat) then it can buffed out per Johnny's instructions. But if the paint has been scratched off, as you seem to believe and as it seems to appear in the pic, then touching it up is probably your best option. If you do it yourself you'll need to first smooth out the roughness using a wet sanding (color sanding) technique with 2000 grit paper or finer.

But if I were you (and knowing you) I would take it to the shop that your dealer trusts the most and have them do it professionally. After they prep the area they'll mask it off and spray it with base color followed by clear. They'll then do some color sanding to smooth everything out and buff and polish and make it look as good as new.

But what I'm concerned with is that nasty looking mark in the top left corner of your pic and directly below it. Did you hit a pole or something?

Quick Reply: Baby got a scrape on her chin