Sponsored by:

Changing seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 11:05 AM
FastInATL
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing seats

I've seen a few questions in various threads and definitely have some of my own regarding swapping seats in a 997. For my own case I am about to get a used 997S with the standard leather seats. I really like the Sport seats (the adaptives are nice just too heavy), and want to look into converting. Unfortunately my dealership says it's a no go. They say Porsche only sells the GT3 seats as a whole unit and anything else would be a piece-meal job at best. Does anyone out there have any solid info or leads on doing something like this? I can't believe it would be THAT complicated to switch seats.

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 11-09-2005, 11:46 AM
FastInATL
Intermediate

Also if anyone has info on seat weights that would be great. One of the options I've looked at, the Recaro Sport Toplines, which are fully electric and have both heating and venting are 45 lbs plus the bracket. I have no idea though what the standard, sport and adaptive seats on the 997 weigh for comparison though.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 464 Likes on 312 Posts

Do the Recaro GT3 seats.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:08 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I would also check out the "Sparco" GT seats, very nice!!!
Old 11-10-2005, 03:51 PM
eilig
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the adaptives, and I hate them. I want the standard seats. I checked into this, and couldn't believe what a nightmare it would seem to be. The guys at my dealership explained all that would be involved with the electronics, etc. Basically their advice was that it would be easier to change cars than change seats.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:58 PM
FastInATL
Intermediate

Elig, that's about the same advice I got. Couldn't believe it. It's actually easier to put in another company's seats than it is to put in another Porsche one. That's a real shame.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:16 PM
crispenigl
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eilig
I have the adaptives, and I hate them. I want the standard seats. I checked into this, and couldn't believe what a nightmare it would seem to be. The guys at my dealership explained all that would be involved with the electronics, etc. Basically their advice was that it would be easier to change cars than change seats.
for someone just about to order a 997s with adaptive seats - please tell me why you do not like these seats?

I tested them out and i loved how they hug you
Old 11-10-2005, 10:52 PM
frayed
Race Car

Originally Posted by crispenigl
for someone just about to order a 997s with adaptive seats - please tell me why you do not like these seats?

I tested them out and i loved how they hug you
ditto
Old 11-11-2005, 12:00 AM
AS
Advanced

found this at http://www.nrauto.com/sub_index.asp?...he&spage=Parts

Convert standard power seats into sport seats with the new NR conversion kit that can be installed by your local auto upholstery shop.
Includes seat backs, German leather and foam for side bolsters. Seat backs can be custom painted at additional cost of $395.00/pair,
or covered in carbon fiber at an additional cost, of $600.00/pair. Black leather - $1595.00/pair. Other leather colors -$1695.00/pair.
Old 11-11-2005, 12:01 AM
AS
Advanced

select '996', scroll down & click '996/Boxster Sport Seat Conversion'
Old 11-11-2005, 12:22 AM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adaptive Seats = Power Pleasure....

I'm a big guy and loved them the first time I sat in them as they reminded me of my Sparco's...
Old 11-11-2005, 01:17 PM
steve775
Instructor

I also have the adaptive sports seats, and they are awesome. They hug you, and are very adjustable to the point that you can greatly decrease how much they hug your body. They were very effective on the track, kept my body in place very well at 120+ mph. However, racing are for racing, this is my street car and the adaptive seats are more than adequate for the street and occasional track use. If the car were for only racing, racing seats it is.

I'd love to hear why someone actually hates them, the standard seats look
so plain and unspectacular.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:38 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I found the adaptive seats too uncomfortable for my cruising tastes. They're a bit too firm and restrictive, which is really what you want at the track. Granted, you can loosen the "hug" for non-track driving, but you can't soften the firmness. Also, I found that those nubs that jut out from the sides are uncomfortable for any other arm position except for having both arms straight out gripping the wheel. On long trips I enjoy resting my right arm on the console and easing it back a bit as I stretch my shoulder some. I can't do that comfortably with those nubs in the way. And the very last reason why someone would not care for these seats is that the backing is nothing but painted plastic that scratches easily instead of full leather backing that you get with the standard seats and full leather option.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:46 PM
JFScheck
Addict
Rennlist Member

I think we talked about this before, but I bet ya there is a break-in period on the seats like any high quality seat...
Old 11-11-2005, 02:56 PM
steve775
Instructor

I have the full leather option with the adaptive. I don't recall the plastic in the
back, in fact I recall the back being leather with some sort of pouch. Car is in the shop so can't run out and take a look. It comes down to
a personal preference. I find that I can't comfortabley rest my left arm on
the top of the door, but it is a true sports car so I easily excuse that. The seat
may or may not impede me from resting my arm like that, or it could be simply
the relative height of the seat versus the top of the door.
Haven't had my car since July 16th.

Quick Reply: Changing seats