Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Rennlist Members and the Reasons Why They Remain So.

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 03:54 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
No. I meant exactly what I said. "majority of posters".
You don't think that the majority of posters are members?

If you had access to the members only forums and could see the hundreds of thousands of members from all over the world you might see things differently.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:59 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
You don't think that the majority of posters are members?

If you had access to the members only forums and could see the hundreds of thousands of members from all over the world you might see things differently.

Hundreds of Thousands of members??? So this is a multi million dollar website. Cool! Then I guess there is no need to become a member since with revenue of millions of dollars a year provides all the money this site needs to operate, and then some. I mean, with what you say, they are at least 200,000 members, each paying $17.95/year. Than's more than 3.5 million dollars in annual revenue.

And, yes, I do think that the majority of posters are NON members.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Chris Stack
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Forum Main Page, at the bottom
Threads: 231,729, Posts: 2,508,986, Users: 35,856
No telling what number of those are "Members." Hell, I think this is my third or fourth post, after 3 or 4 years of lurking. The only reason I ever registered was so I could view attached images. If you want to entice people to become Members, tie THAT to the $18.

If you made this a pay-only site, I don't think you'd see a mass exodus of members, but casual posters would become lurkers. I'd go back to just lurking, and probably less often because I couldn't see the pictures. The real impact would be the people who show up after it becomes a pay site. If they surf here after a Google search because they are thinking of buying a Porsche, they might not stick around since they couldn't ask a question. They'd go to the next board, and when they bought their car, might not come back. Or maybe they would. But a lot would not.

As far as John having three jobs to run the board, I honestly have a hard time believeing that. I know guys who run boards with admittedly less traffic, but also no sponsors OR members, and they are doing just fine. Perhaps a switch to different (cheaper) board software is appropriate? And I understand not wanting pop-ups, etc, but I think you could create a vender page, with categories of advertisements, etc, that one could go to when he was looking for a specific product, but it would be transparent when he was not. Other boards do this, as well, and it seems to work out well. Or Hell, have a one week a year, or one day a month, or whatever "Membership Drive" and offer raffles or something to people who sign up. That way, people would know what to expect as far as when to ask/be asked to give moeny, and it would stay out of the threads that are unrelated.

Not trying to criticize how the board is run, but just trying to point out there are ways to keep the board almost exactly the same, yet pay for most of itself. The heavyhandidness of members bugging non-members sucks, but no one should have to put themselves out to run a web board, either.
Old 11-09-2005, 04:23 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
Hundreds of Thousands of members???
Well, that was just a WAG from seeing the hundreds of thousands of posts there in the number of replies column - obviously not a true measure of the membership count. But that's why we're trying to get to the bottom of this matter, and without accurate numbers we're only guessing as to why John D is struggling financially, in that he has to supposedly work 3 jobs to make ends meet. But you're right, if there was that big of a revenue stream there wouldn't be a problem at all.

No need to get defensive. You have as much right to be here as I do, and I personally have benefited from your insightful tips and suggestions, and would even offer to pay for your membership if that's what it would take to keep you if the rules changed. All I'm saying is that I see Rennlist changing in the near future. I don't think the status quo can survive.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:46 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I joined yesterday just so I wouldn't have to put up with this crap. Haven't gotten a confirmational email yet and my credit card has not been charged so who knows.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 PM
MMD
Banned

It's a Dot Com. I don't know of any company that expects donations; they usually have required fees. Also if I were to inadvertantly pi** off some nutcase member of this internet community I wouldn't want my personal information hacked and used against me.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:22 PM
Carcam
Rennlist Member

Received 236 Likes on 96 Posts

This reminds me of the NPR fund raising a couple times/year. It's always free- anyone can listen or even call in but they're always asking for money to help support the cause... Actually, I'm going to become a member, although after reading 5 pages of threads here, I'm not sure why. Bragging rights? Who cares. Will it keep poor John D. from a 4th job? I check this site daily and it has helped me enjoy my Porsche or at least share my enjoyment with others. I didn't even know there was a membership. Is there a membership at Rennteam? I see the same posts and people at both. And what's with the elitist stuff? How can $15-20 / yr entitle someone to act elitist. We can spend more in gas in a day or so. Interesting thread...
Old 11-09-2005, 11:04 PM
tarpon1
Instructor

this thread has become comical...it's like a car crash; tragic but you can't take your eyes off it...what bothers me is that participants whether members or not (who fricken cares?) are instilling negative energy into what should otherwise be a positive, productive forum designed to discuss our little german mistresses. the benefit of this forum to me is that it provides very useful and at many times humorous thoughts and information which are a pleasant and educational diversion from the real world which provides the income to buy these toys. another benefit is that it helps to generate a sense of comradery amongst individuals who share a common interest. with respect to the financial well being of this web site and the issue of whether john d., jenn and the other esteemed moderators are secreting away millions of dollars and actually own a fleet of cgt's, 917's etc with the resulting spoils; i mean is anyone really serious? for that matter do we or should we really care? they set up the web site and we are welcome to use it or not. we can contribute or not. our choice. if you don't like it, there's the door, thanks for playing and we have some lovely parting gifts for you. if john d. needs help, all he has to do is ask; period. some of us would contribute and some might not. but let's keep things in perspective folks; it's a web site to discuss porsche's, not a private partnership in which we have large sums of our own precious retirement savings invested in...i have to think there are more important things to worry about. i enjoy this site and read it everyday and for that i thank the moderators and the contributors, whether they pay or not. if people think my comments make me a donkey well then hee-haw. look, i've been married 20 years now; do you really think anyone can bust my chops any more than that?
Old 11-10-2005, 11:57 AM
OCBen
Banned

Well, it doesn't look like we're going to get any inputs from the administrators here to shed some light on the matter. So I think we can wrap up this inquiry with some reasonable assumptions and conclusions:

1. If the administrators needed more funds to run this site, they will let us know by way of occasional membership drives or other means of promotion.

2. It is NOT the responsibility of the current membership to do the work of the administrators by trying to increase the membership base.

3. Rennlist Members should refrain from badgering or otherwise harassing Registered Users into becoming members.

4. Registered Users have equal rights with Members for being on this site to post their views and opinions.

Having said that, there are benefits to being a Rennlist Member, but it is strictly an individual choice. And until the status quo changes, this community is who we are. So it behooves us to live in harmony and learn from each other as we share useful information and an occasional good laugh.

I know I've been enlightened by this discussion, and I'm glad I initiated it. … Peace.
Old 11-10-2005, 12:09 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Well put summarization Ben.....

Meeting ajourned
Old 11-10-2005, 12:34 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by OCBen

3. Rennlist Members should refrain from badgering or otherwise harassing Registered Users into becoming members.

Yay!
Old 11-10-2005, 01:01 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheers
Old 11-10-2005, 02:04 PM
THPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

Just got my membercard/ sponsorship card and the yellow Rennlist sticker yesterday! Maybe I should sign up for the email address and webspace that come with it.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:22 PM
Fred R. C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 29 Posts
Default For those of you in the US old enough to remember...

the "Leave It to Beaver" sitcom, Wally Cleaver would likely be a Rennlist member. Eddie Haskel most certainly would not. The are people who support, and people who freeload. You know which group you fit.

Cheers,
Old 11-10-2005, 02:46 PM
Chris Stack
Track Day

Originally Posted by Fred R. C4S
the "Leave It to Beaver" sitcom, Wally Cleaver would likely be a Rennlist member. Eddie Haskel most certainly would not. The are people who support, and people who freeload. You know which group you fit.

Cheers,
Wow, 4.5 pages of discussion of how divisive and unecessary these comments are, and you come drop this stinking turd of a post into the fray. Thanks.

(Text deleted)

Last edited by Marc Shaw; 11-10-2005 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Inappropriate name calling

Quick Reply: Non Rennlist Members and the Reasons Why They Remain So.