Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non Rennlist Members and the Reasons Why They Remain So.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 12:16 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
o Need for Support - John D has posted a couple of times that he is now working three jobs to keep this site up. Lots of servers and high bandwidth costs real money.

o Why not sponsors? - John made it clear from the outset that he would not finance his site with a plethora of pop-up ads like some other sites. With the traffic generated here, he could easily bring in a bunch of advertisers but he prefers to keep his site "pure".
Well obviously if John D. has to work three jobs to keep this site up and running the way he wants it, clutter free of excessive advertisement, he clearly needs some help in business management. There are plenty of us here who have a background in business who can offer John suggestions, or he can hire a business consultant instead who can work closely with him. But he shouldn't have to slave away like that when there are solutions readily available that he can use.

Hey Rob, can you alert John D. to this thread. I've tried to email him about this subject but he apparently is too busy to reply right now. It would certainly be helpful to know what's going on straight from the horse's mouth (make that the Stud Stallion's mouth, now that he's married Jenn).
Old 11-08-2005, 12:17 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Dell,

Not a bad idea, but it would make the mods job harder. Non members are not allowed to post ads for example. It would be tedious to have to check a database to see if someone was a member or not. Fact is I don't see any reason for frequent users not to be members. And yes, it does create a class system but, so what? I think the people who make the most noise are the ones who feel guilty about enjoying rennlist without contributing to its support. Many of us worry that john might get fed up with working three jobs to finance Rennlist. Then what happens? We all move to six speed or rennteam? I like the non commerical nature of Rennlist, more like a club than a business, but that's just MHO.

Best,
I hear ya Bob, and I feel the same way. Just trying to come up with a solution for "let's all get along"
Old 11-08-2005, 12:18 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by OCBen
straight from the horse's mouth (make that the Stud Stallion's mouth, now that he's married Jenn).
Old 11-08-2005, 12:35 PM
boolala
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LVDell
I'd hate to figure out what my 3K posts or your 4K posts cost us incomewise???? ...

Good point. I'll think I'll send John an invoice for my time spent on this forum.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:18 AM
Putt-Putt
Pro

Received 251 Likes on 121 Posts

..Do you ever feel guilty when watching a PBS broadcast that you’re really enjoying, and during a promotional break you’re being asked to help keep PBS on the air with your contributions and donations, that it’s through viewers like you that help keep PBS on the air?..
I just watched 2 minutes of Frontline and I was reminded that NO!!! I never feel guilty not donating to public TV. What transparent left-wing political crap the CPB is.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:02 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

I can't for the life of me understand why Rennlist members continue to think they can berate someone into paying for a membership? Your intentions might be good but all you do is drive people away.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:16 AM
03-turbo911
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with JasonAndreas and Christer. It's their choice wheather to become members or not. Otherwise, it would have been the set policy of this board to exclude non-members from paritcipating in these forums, just as they are not allowed to use the off topic forum.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:43 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

I suggest we put OCBens wife up for sainthood. She most certainly deserves it.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:59 AM
OCBen
Banned

Hey, no need to get nasty. ... I'm just trying to have an intelligent discussion on a matter that seems to be divisive here. ... Some people apparently can't handle controversial subjects intelligently, and when they are at a loss for cogent arguments they quickly resort to irrational emotional outbursts, often laced with insults.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:55 AM
Larry Harris
Burning Brakes

OC,
You are an intense person and I agree that users of this site should pay for the information gleaned here. However I don't think there was this much needless discussion about the D-Day invasion in world war 2. I paid my dues, others choose not to. End of story!
Old 11-09-2005, 01:43 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by Larry Harris
I paid my dues, others choose not to. End of story!
Well, that's not exactly the story here. From what one of the moderators here is saying, John D needs to work 3 jobs to keep Rennlist up and running the way he initially envisioned it. And it seems that part of that vision, naively or otherwise, relied on users signing up voluntarily to become paying members in order to fund the operation expense of maintaining this board. Now, human nature being what it is (as illustrated in LVDELL's personal example of the 80/20 rule), funds will always come up short when you rely on the honor system. This would explain why John D needs to work 3 jobs. … I can tell you right now, something's gotta give. And that’s really the crux of the matter here. Either Rennlist will have to incorporate the dreaded pop-ups and the animated advertisement clutter, OR … Rennlist will have to become like any provider of commercial free programming and require that users pay to play.

And until we know the facts of the matter, there's going to be resentment … whether we wish to acknowledge it or not, among those who feel that others are not pitching in simply because they are not being made to – if something is free, why pay for it, as one honest replier put it.

I can't speak for the administrators here, though in effect I'm acting as an advocate, but it seems it would help a tremendous amount if an Income from Operations Statement could be disclosed for all to see. And once everyone realizes the shortfall, users will be more willing to contribute to the cause. ... That's the nice thing about human nature – wherever there is a perceived need, volunteers usually come to the rescue.
Old 11-09-2005, 02:27 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Bottom line is you have to compete wiith your competition. If this board changed to mandatory membership, I have no doubt that the majority of posters here would move to the other boards. These boards, as nice and as valuable as they are, are not a requirement to either enjoy or maintain your Porsche. Advertising is much easier to sell with a high volume site than one that has little volume.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by 1999Porsche911
If this board changed to mandatory membership, I have no doubt that the majority of posters here would move to the other boards.
I think you meant to say the majority of non-members, and even that figure might be debatable. Many would simply join the club.

I think my original suggestion of allowing newbies a maximum number of posts (say 50 or so) in order for them to get a feel for the community before making up their minds to join seems like a good suggestion still. At least that's what they do in the **** sites -- from what I hear, that is ... not that I would have personal knowledge, of course. But from what I hear.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:35 PM
1999Porsche911
Race Car

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I think you meant to say the majority of non-members, and even that figure might be debatable. Many would simply join the club.

I think my original suggestion of allowing newbies a maximum number of posts (say 50 or so) in order for them to get a feel for the community before making up their minds to join seems like a good suggestion still. At least that's what they do in the **** sites -- from what I hear, that is ... not that I would have personal knowledge, of course. But from what I hear.

No. I meant exactly what I said. "majority of posters". Obviously, the members would remain; at least until they found that much of the good posting from non-members had moved to other sites.
Old 11-09-2005, 03:40 PM
dmac
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 31 Posts

I think the real reason why I got the membership was so I could add my sig.
Diito. And I've been too damn busy to make my sig.

Quick Reply: Non Rennlist Members and the Reasons Why They Remain So.