Sponsored by:

child seats

Old 08-11-2005, 07:39 PM
npp
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post child seats

Hey guys ---
any one know whether standard child seats will fit in the rear seats of a 997/S?
I have two young kids and sometimes duty will call ....
NPP
Old 08-11-2005, 07:43 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes.
Old 08-11-2005, 09:53 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Yes, but the fit varies. I had a few-year old Porsche mid-size seat (made by Britax for Porsche), which had a wide base and actually was a terrible fit in the back. I recently got a new seat for my 3 1/2 y/o; I went with the leather Eddie Bauer seat, mostly because the base is narrower and it fits better than most. (I think most of the Eddie Bauer seats have the same base.) I went to Babies R Us and hauled several seats out to the car to see how they fit, before buying.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:27 PM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

I have always used the Porsche system to put the kids in the front seat with the proper air bag deactivation kit. With the motor up against the back seat I wonder how safe the back seats are for kids if you get rear ended. It would seem to me that the motor could get pushed in the rear seat; although, I know there are times when the rear seat is the only option.

I just got the air bag deactivation kit installed in my 05 (for about $1K in cost and an 8 month wait for parts), but I understand that the deactivation is standard on the 06 and works off of weight in the seat. I think the 05 kits are now generally available.
Old 08-12-2005, 07:55 PM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

FYI, in California, there is a new law that requires kids to be in the back seat (unless there is no backseat, and some other exceptions). Since I require my seat almost all the way back, I intend to carry my 3 1/2 y/o in back and my newborn in front, since its impossible to put a kid behind me.

kwsmith6 - my dealer partially installed the airbag deactivation kit but quit because software wasn't out, and now they tell me I have to buy a new airbag deactivation module. Did you have to replace the airbag deactivation model? If so, at your expense?
Old 08-13-2005, 06:39 AM
kwsmith6
Intermediate

Yes, I had to buy the new air-bag module. The installation cost was something like $630 plus change, but I am not sure how much of that was labor. The original kit was $258. My car was built in December, and my service rep told me that they changed to the new modules sometime in January or February.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: child seats