Sponsored by:

PASM, PSM, Sport Chrono and PSE FAQ

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 11:32 PM
rowantrollope
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PASM, PSM, Sport Chrono and PSE FAQ

I have just purchased a 997S, and am loving it -- LOVING IT LOVING IT LOVING IT. This is the most amazing car I've ever owned or driven.

Between PASM, PSM, PSE and Sport Chrono, I was getting a little confused, so I decided to scour these news groups and read the manual and put a single document together which brings together all the facts about these settings.

If the experts out there could correct any of this where I have it wrong - and add anything that I missed, I think it might be very useful for others.

----------------------------------------------
PORSCHE 997 -- PASM, PSM, PSE and Sport Chrono:
What do they do?
----------------------------------------------

-----------------------
Q: What is the Sport Chronograph Package Plus?
A: This option provides a sport mode, as well as a lap-timer/chronograph (placed on the top of the dashboard). The sport mode can be engaged through a "Sport" button, and has the following benefits:

(From the manual "A sportier car set-up is obtained when Sport mode is switched on. Interventions by the Porsche control systems are intentionally shifted towards greater agility and driving performance."

Turning the sport button on affects the following variables:

1) The Tiptronic S switches to a sporty gear changing map and shortens the gear shifting periods. Gear changes take place faster.

2) The electronic accelerator pedal reacts sooner, and the engine is more responsive to throttle inputs. When Sport mode is switched on, this function is activated only after the driver has floored the accelerator pedal and released it briefly. (Only in manual mode with the Tiptronic S)

"This produces a faster throttle response to accelerator pedal movements to subjectively increase the spontaneity of the engine.
When the Sport Chrono button is pressed, the abrupt cut-off (cf. section 2.3.14) is active in 1st to 5th gears for the manual gearbox (without Sport Chrono function only in 1st and 2nd gears) and in the manual setting for Tiptronic transmission.
The so-called dash pot is executed less smoothly and with less emphasis on comfort. This means that the throttle closes fasterwhen released. The result is a heightened, “racing-like” engine dynamic. " (- MJones)

3) PSM (Porsche Stability Management) control is made more "sporty". PSM interventions take place later than in Normal mode. The driver can maneuver the vehicle with greater agility at its performance limits, without having to dispense with the assistance of PSM in emergency situations.

4) With PSE installed, makes the exhaust louder, and opens two additional pipes.

5) The rpm limiter characteristic is “harder”, i.e. the engine is immediately throttled when the performance limits are reached (only in manual selection mode for vehicles with Tiptronic S).

6) Adjusts the ABS threshholds, making them more agressive (kicks in later)

7) PASM is automatically turned on, giving a more sporty (stiff) ride. This results in harder damping and therefore more spontaneity when steering into corners. Body movements are noticeably reduced, improving road contact. Agility and driving pleasure, particularly on circuits, are also increased and overall driving stability in extreme driving situations improved.

8) Finally, there are the indivdual memory settings for:
* DRL
* Wipers
* Comfort lighting duration adjustable from 10 seconds to120 seconds
* Automatic climate control: save basic setting (e.g. 73°F, fan set to maximum output and defrost on)
* Unlocking opens all doors or just the driver's door
* Autolock: off, on upon ignition or active after moving off

-----------------------
Q: What is the PSE?
A: Porsche Sport Exhaust

The PSE option (available for approximately $2,000 USD) provides a more free-flowing, and louder exhaust, with a better, throatier exhaust note. When installed the PSE can be hooked up to be controlled by the "Sport" button, which comes with the Sport Chrono (the dealer should do this by default).

When the Sport button is ON, the PSE gets louder (uses all 4 pipes). When the Sport button is OFF, the PSE reverts to standard loudness (uses only 2 pipes).

With the Sport button ON, the PSE only kicks into loud mode above ~40 MPH.

There is a modification one can do to cause the PSE to be in it's more agressive setting all the time, which is documented here (need link).

If the PSE is installed without the Sport Chrono package (e.g. no Sport button), the installation also includes installation of this button to control the exhaust.

Question: With the Sport button off, is the PSE the same volume as the stock exhaust? What about the exhaust note, is it better?

Question: Is this option available on the 997 base model?

-----------------------
Q: What is PASM?
A: Porsche Active Suspension Management

The PASM option controls the stiffness of the shocks, and provides a more agressive, sporty setting for "spirited driving conditions" While a properly installed set of race coilovers is going to be better for true track setup, the point of PASM is to give the option between a comfortable ride, and a more sporty setup.

Note: PASM turns on automatically when Sport mode is turned ON.

Aftermarket vendors such as Techart offer sport springs for the 997 which lower the car from .75 to 1.5 inches. They generally have a specific part number for for cars equipped with PASM, and one for those without PASM.

PASM does not affect ride height.

Question: In other markets, does the PASM option affect ride height by 20mm?
Question: Is this option available on the 997 base model?

-----------------------
Q: What is PSM?
A: Porsche Stability Management

A good description of this option is listed in the manual. When turned ON (default setting), the throttle and brakes are modulated to prevent wheelspin and maintain traction.

As noted above, when the Sport mode is engaged, the PSM threshholds are relaxed to allow driving "closer to the limits of traction"
-----------------------

Thanks,
Rowan
Old 08-04-2005, 10:18 AM
NoSubEDU
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts

Great faq!!

I think it's worth noting that you can have the SPORT button ON and have the PASM OFF for the increased throttle response and exhaust note without the harshness of the PASM in SPORT mode (for those that want the comfy suspension setting).

Great writeup!
Old 08-04-2005, 02:36 PM
rowantrollope
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks NoSubEDU -- I've added your comment

Quick Reply: PASM, PSM, Sport Chrono and PSE FAQ