Sponsored by:

Do you drive your car in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 11:58 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MKW
I NEVER drive it in the rain . I want to keep the undercarriage spotless so that the dealer gives me 7 cents more in trade-in value 5 years down the road .
Yeah! I learned that lesson about20 years ago when I traded in my BMW 320i and was so proud that it had incredibly low mileage, like 6000. I got something like $200 more bucks for it when the normal expected mileage was around 30 or 40K.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:02 AM
Sun Ra
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by merbesfield
I tried to take it out in the rain today, but just could not bring my self to do it. I:
pardon me boyz, but you remind me of ferrari *******, to be blunt - my first stradale had a service appt in woodland hills and it's raining: the service manager, being used to his customer base, calls me to say, it's raining over here, want to resched.?

they're not made of suger guys. just f.g drive them. espec. a 997, the perfect inexpensive daily driver. besides they handle very well in the wet, after all, they're porsches.
Old 07-31-2005, 01:16 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why would you NOT drive it in the rain? It's a lot more fun in the rain, or the snow come to that than driving on dry pavement.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:07 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And we should all get the same color 997 since only your opinion is best. People, its our/your car, do with it as you please. Drive it in the rain, don't drive it in the rain. Everyone has differnt views. No one is right or wrong about this.
Old 07-31-2005, 02:04 PM
rotthaus
Instructor

Drive in the rain? No problem. She has gotten soaked more than a few times. (But I do avoid severe weather, curse the hail.)

The five months when salt is on the road? NO! I've replaced enough rusted panels on old muscle cars to take anything nice out in the salt.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:10 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

I only have a 996, but I try to avoid driving when it's sunny too: strong sun-beams could alter the paint and dry the leather dashboard. So I only drive when it's a bit cloudy, but not enough to have rain.
Besides that, I of course installed a clear bra under the car in order to fully protect the underbody. Don't want to have it chipped when I'll sell my car!
Oh, and all these little stones on the road make the tires look very bad after a short drive already! So I always deploy a 10m long carpet (with Porsche logo, of course) in front of my car, drive 10m, deploy a second identical carpet, drive 10m, take the first carpet from back to front, drive 10m, and so on. Just in case some dust lands onto the carpet, I always carry a vacuum-cleaner in the car. This way, my tires stay clean.
Needless to say, I also always wear my anti-dust suit, gloves and either a helmet or at least a bath-cap. Hey, I don't want hair or little bits of dead skin falling down under the seats! This could make the car impossible to sell one day!...
Oh boy... It's incredible how much fun I have when I drive my Porsche...

Greetings,
--Pierre
Old 07-31-2005, 06:29 PM
Rasta
Racer

Originally Posted by Pierre
I only have a 996, but I try to avoid driving when it's sunny too: strong sun-beams could alter the paint and dry the leather dashboard. So I only drive when it's a bit cloudy, but not enough to have rain.
Besides that, I of course installed a clear bra under the car in order to fully protect the underbody. Don't want to have it chipped when I'll sell my car!
Oh, and all these little stones on the road make the tires look very bad after a short drive already! So I always deploy a 10m long carpet (with Porsche logo, of course) in front of my car, drive 10m, deploy a second identical carpet, drive 10m, take the first carpet from back to front, drive 10m, and so on. Just in case some dust lands onto the carpet, I always carry a vacuum-cleaner in the car. This way, my tires stay clean.
Needless to say, I also always wear my anti-dust suit, gloves and either a helmet or at least a bath-cap. Hey, I don't want hair or little bits of dead skin falling down under the seats! This could make the car impossible to sell one day!...
Oh boy... It's incredible how much fun I have when I drive my Porsche...

Greetings,
--Pierre

ROTFLMAO!

Drive it already - both my car's have been in dep rain, snow, sunshine, intense heat - almost every imaginable condition possible.

But I'm just a lowly Ferrari 355B and Porsche 996 C4S owner - what do I know.
Old 07-31-2005, 06:44 PM
dnp_now
Instructor

curious, is there a reason not to drive it in the rain? Other than not wanting to get getting it wet and dirty?

Where I live it rains every day for a few hours, 4 to 5 for a months out of the year. I can understand if you have a cab, and do not want to stress the top. but for a coupe, is there a problem if the car gets wet?
Old 07-31-2005, 06:50 PM
Pierre
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dnp_now
[...] but for a coupe, is there a problem if the car gets wet?
Yes, dust could stick to the water drops and make the car dirty. And if it's wet and hot, the car might even shrink! No good!...

--Pierre
Old 07-31-2005, 11:05 PM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 261 Posts

In the rain, in the snow (with snow tires of course), with my kid, in the sun...I still grin everytime I start it up. The ONLY thing I probably wouldn't drive my 997 in would be hail or tornado weather...
Old 07-31-2005, 11:29 PM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

I drive my 997S to work every day, rain or shine.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:35 PM
SoCalFalco
6th Gear

So. Cal....

What Rain?!
Old 08-01-2005, 04:38 AM
jonquiljo
Advanced

A more appropriate question would be ... how many people would have sex in their new 997?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:49 AM
collin996tt
Advanced

i drive extra extra hard in the rain, just to make sure the psm works. yep, it does. but i still like to make sure now and then. and oh yea, the porsche actually floats in deep water.
Old 08-01-2005, 12:50 PM
930man
Rennlist Member

why not unless you you intend it to be a very low mile car and hold on to for a long long time to sell as a classic if you keep it clean it isnt a problem.

I guess a picture is worth a thousand words
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Do you drive your car in the rain?