I guess we're pretty lucky...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 01:25 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I guess we're pretty lucky...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/AUTOS/funonw...ars/index.html

of course after reading this, Porsche will probably raise their prices.
Old 06-07-2005, 03:07 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes you wonder why Porsche has to add overstated agressive stuff like 19s, rear spoiler slats, fake quads, the wart, 50+ center console switches..., what else?

IOW, the car already has MASSIVE appeal to guys so why add this "junk?"

Especially the quads, they're so over the top and even embarassing.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:28 PM
Paul523
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MMD
Makes you wonder why Porsche has to add overstated agressive stuff like 19s, rear spoiler slats, fake quads, the wart, 50+ center console switches..., what else?

IOW, the car already has MASSIVE appeal to guys so why add this "junk?"

Especially the quads, they're so over the top and even embarassing.
Funny CNN piece.
At least the 997 doesn't have HEMI plastered on the rear fascia (yet)!

MMD I agree on the sport chrono wart and ctr console having excessive buttons, but imho the rear view of the 997 is about as perfect as you can get, with the spoiler slats enhancing the chiseled, carved look.....and risking further blasphemy, I like the quad pipes, I even ordered the opt chrome ones! to each his own, I guess.

Check the 993 Turbo pic below (2nd car in), whenever I see this photo I always wonder if the dual tips are factory equip?
Old 06-07-2005, 06:27 PM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe its all the "stuff" that makes it so popular? I don't see the Elise or Honda S2000 anywhere on the list, and they come as close to pure as any sport car.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:53 PM
Sanjeevan
Three Wheelin'

You are absolutely right that we are lucky, ....a couple of wknds. ago I was at this small town parking lot and a couple of teenagers on a a pickup truck were admiring my car, from there talk I knew they know what they are talking about...excellent knowledge of porsche's, ...and you know what this kid said as he drove off, ....they did'nt care what the highest speed I've done, they did'nt rev. up there engines as they left (you know the usual stuff),...the kid only said, "you are a lucky man, take care of that car, it's not just a car, it's a piece of art"...I only hope one day he'll be lucky enough to own one.

Last edited by Sanjeevan; 06-07-2005 at 07:25 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 07:23 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by stan523
I like the quad pipes, I even ordered the opt chrome ones! to each his own, I guess.
When I'm behind a mediocre Pontiac or Cadillac and I see those Y fittings to fakely quadify the cars I get disgusted.

Thought equally an unnecessary stylistic overstatement, at least the M3 quads are four real pipes welded into the huge muffler so they must do something.

Just sticking on a tacky Y tail pipe is really gross pandering on the part of Porsche in my opinion. The rear view of the car is much tooooo bizzy looks-wise too.

My 997S is coming in September and I'm at least gonna paint them matt black.

Old 06-08-2005, 03:17 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by stan523
...At least the 997 doesn't have HEMI plastered on the rear fascia (yet)!...
Yeah, let's hope they don't stoop to that.

Chrysler makes it seem like (or want you to believe that) they are the only ones who produce engines with hemispherical combustion chamber cylinder heads. I think they probably trademarked the name "HEMI" so that it exclusively can be applied to a Chrysler engine. (So I guess we won’t be seeing that name plastered all over Porsches.) If so, I really think that’s a poor application of trademark law. The prefix "hemi-" means half. Chrysler employs no unique manner of spelling it, such as "HEMY" which can be trademarked because of the unique spelling. So basically they were able to get away with getting a trademark on a common prefix of Greek origins.

It would be equivalent to the first manufacturer of turbocharged engines getting a trademark on the prefix "turbo" and not allowing anybody else to use it. (I don’t know my history here, but if it had been Dr. Porsche himself, that might not have been so bad! And I wouldn’t be surprised if he developed the first hemi engine either.) But technically "turbo" can be trademarked (if it wasn’t at one time), since it’s really an acronym for TUR-bine BO-osted.

Quick Reply: I guess we're pretty lucky...