Sponsored by:

DSG or Manual on 06 997S

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 12:35 PM
MMD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by damianc4s
it's a manual gearbox with a computer controlled clutch.

Damian

..and gearshift levers, and throttle.
Old 06-02-2005, 12:42 PM
MMD
Banned

Originally Posted by djantlive
DSG for 997 in 06? Is that confirmed?

I'd love to trade a tip withe DSG. DSG is faster yet easier to live with than a manual especially in traffic or on hills. Maybe I can get one retrofit into my 996

To me, DSG is not as good as manual in involvement and smothness. However it's a superior alternative to automatic which is slower. If you don't mind a manual, I'd get that instead of waiting for the DSG. If you want an auto, you should wait for the DSG.

Anyone has any experience with the clutch life of BMW SMG? How often does clutch on SMG need to be replaced? Is it longer than a manual's clutch?

SMG is extremely smooth, no way a human can match it. Rev matching is exact, speed of actuation is instant.

Involvement? The feel nearly is instantaneous. Fine with me. Does everything a manual does, but there's no "finessing" or fancy wrist action, or searching for gears, or waiting for synchromesh, nothing frustrating! That's the involvement.

I'm guessing clutch life is far longer than a clutch suffering human-actuated gear changes. There's just no error; the rev matching is "perfect" and there's no sloppiness. It just seems to click from gear to gear and that includes the clutch action.

my us$.02
Old 06-02-2005, 12:50 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Rather than speculate on DSG, why not go to an Audi dealer and test one? It is available on the Audi TT. I think it is brilliant and far superior to the SMG and F1 since the shifts are perfectly smooth. The second clutch of a DSG means the the next gear up is already selected and ready to go - very clever! Porsche used a very similar technique on the some of the 962 race-cars as I recall.

Rgds,
Old 06-02-2005, 11:41 PM
scycle2020
Burning Brakes

a semi auto vs manual is a matter of perference...i have driven the 360 f1 extensively and still decided to buy the 6speed, which is much more fun and engaging,,,i have also driven the m3 and audi dsg and also the lambo egear gallardo....i still perfer the 6speed..the f1 type tranny are fun for a few minutes and are great at the track and faster for a race, but on the road and back roads , i love the feel of a nice clutch and shifter and trying to match the revs to the shift while steering at the same time...much more to do and more engaging...pretty soon the computer software will be able to shifter faster and better than a human flicking the paddle the shifters...so you just step on the gas and go, but wait, why not develop a software that will be able to control the throttle also, andthe brake,..heck you can watch a dvd until you get to your destination....now thats a sports car!! l

Quick Reply: DSG or Manual on 06 997S