Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAV, do you really ever use it?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2005, 06:20 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts
Question NAV, do you really ever use it?

And when you do use it, what have you discovered to be some fun creative ways it can be used... as well some regular practical ways.

Thanks!!

Old 05-29-2005, 06:33 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I use it all the time and would not have a car without it...Gives good directions to locations that you've never been to, and when you can expect to arrive.
I do long road trips and it is nice to know how far the next rest area or gas station may be or the next place to sleep.

What's your altitude? It's got an altimeter and can tell you that as well.
Old 05-29-2005, 06:46 PM
NVRANUF
Rennlist Member

Received 460 Likes on 257 Posts

MJones, that's great but how often do you actually find yourself travelling to a place you've never been in your 997?
I plan one or two road trips a year, where that feature will be useful and welcome, but the majority of my travels are on roads and to places I'm very familiar with. Does NAV serve a practical or creative use for this?
Old 05-30-2005, 02:57 AM
Fast40th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

NAV is great for road trips. I just came back from a fun 2-day trip with a local PCA chapter. We were a convoy of about 20 cars or so... a couple times we had some emergency "nature calls" which separated us from the group... and the NAV sys saved the day each and every time. I knew the stops but I didn't know how to get there, and the NAV showed me the way.

A creative use I have for it on some weekends is for finding my way back home, while exploring uncharted mountain backroads. I simply choose to take whichever road I decide to, with the intention of getting lost, and then I let the NAV guide me back home. This has proven to be a lot of fun.

The more I use it the more I like it. I was skeptical at first, but now I am a convert. It's got all sort of goodies in there, gas stations, Porsche dealerships, all kinds of local points of interest, national monuments, hotels , restaurants... you name it's in there.
Old 05-30-2005, 08:29 PM
holminator
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Sounds crazy, but I've used the navigation system to anticipate curves in the road! I never thought that I would use it in this manner! When the road disappears on the horizon because of a hill or a turn, I glance down at the screen and use that piece of information along with the usual safety precautious on how I attack the turn or not to attack in the case of a hill (not knowing what is on the other side, like a deer).

I've also used it to find new ways of getting to places by programming route options for the shortest path, no highways, etc. and in the process of doing this the navigation unit has put me on little twisty roads I never knew existed just 10-30 miles from my home no less!

I've also used it for club drives (sometimes the lead driver gets lost and with an FRS radio you can help them stay on target). The Navi is also handy for finding gas stations pronto. I will never buy a car again without it!

Last edited by holminator; 12-21-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-30-2005, 11:35 PM
PV
Pro

Yep, and with great success. I will use it for my planned trip to NC early July.
Old 05-31-2005, 12:49 AM
alin2
Burning Brakes

Received 569 Likes on 261 Posts

all the time...
Old 05-31-2005, 12:55 AM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 83 Posts

Hardly ever.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:10 AM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not too often. I'm usually in familiar territory. It's the only way if I'm looking for a new place though.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:17 AM
rss997
Three Wheelin'

I want to get it soon........
Old 05-31-2005, 01:32 AM
Ronnie
Instructor

No
Old 05-31-2005, 03:10 AM
SoCal Alan
Advanced

I've used it once since I got it (about 6 months ago).
Old 05-31-2005, 06:27 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

I normally would consider NAV an unnecessary frill not needed in a p-car, but it came with my launch 997S (my first NAV in a vehicle). However, I have to say it sure is nice to have sometimes, and I use it regularly though not daily. It was especially nice on the NorCal/SoCal rumble a month ago, since we were on back roads in the middle of nowhere all the way, and it made it easy to anticipate upcoming turns on little known roads (and like hominator said, it can be used to anticipate upcoming curves too!).
Old 05-31-2005, 03:56 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

Default Get NAV

I first got NAV on a Mercedes sedan earlier this year. Its great! I used to get lost all the time - no more. Its especially good when you've gone to a new place and are not sure how to get home.

More recently I had it installed at the dealer when I got my 997 a month ago. It cost more than if it had been added as a option at the factory - but it was well worth it.
Old 05-31-2005, 04:42 PM
stigt
Advanced

This is my 1st car with a nav system and if I was to have custom ordered the car I wouldn't have gotten it. However after having used it on occation I do like it enough that it'll probably be a part of all my future cars. On weekends I enjoy going on joy rides exploring unknown roads without thought of getting lost and now rather than using www.mapblast.com to get directions to an address I just enter it in the Nav. One downside is that since your brain can be out of the loop, you might not learn how to get there on your own.

All said even though I don't use it on a daily basis I'm glad I have it.

Quick Reply: NAV, do you really ever use it?