Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 997 Carmon Red is 3000 miles away... need a good shipper!

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2005, 02:15 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My 997 Carmon Red is 3000 miles away... need a good shipper!

Hi. I finally found the right car! It is on the opposite side of the country though, so I could use some suggestions from the board re which shipping company to use to get it to me from NJ to California. The Dealer has given me a few companies that they work with, but I would like to hear from the users here who they have had good success with. Needs to be covered transport!
Thanks all......

Old 05-26-2005, 03:18 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Save some dough, Fly out, drive back, See the USA, roadtrips are fun and your break-in will be complete....
Make the time!..a perfect reason to do go

When was the last time you went on a road trip?

Other than that use InterCity (a board sponsor) The PCNA carrier for the CGT
http://www.intercitylines.com
Old 05-26-2005, 04:01 PM
PV
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, you are number two in the country with Carmon Red!

Great car.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:35 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default Road trip......

Originally Posted by MJones
Save some dough, Fly out, drive back, See the USA, roadtrips are fun and your break-in will be complete....
Make the time!..a perfect reason to do go

When was the last time you went on a road trip?

Other than that use InterCity (a board sponsor) The PCNA carrier for the CGT
http://www.intercitylines.com
I would love to take a week off and drive it out here, but my office staff would kill me if I even mention doing that!
My son and I picked up my C6 Corvette last October at the National Corvette Museum in Bowling Green Ky and drove it home. It was a great trip.. great bonding experience.... great car till the engine blew after 9500 miles due to a defect in the engine. So unfortunately this will have to be delivered and not driven home!
Thanks for the suggestion about InterCity.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:37 PM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default So I am gonna be unique??

Originally Posted by PV
So, you are number two in the country with Carmon Red!

Great car.
So there aren't that many Carmon Reds in the country? It was hard to find for sure. None in the western half of the country. I am surprised that more buyers
haven't picked this color.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:53 PM
jonquiljo
Advanced

Default What about your local dealer?

Before I got my 997, I was talking with my local dealer about getting one from other parts of the country. They were going to trade with incoming stock or allocations, and handle the transport for me.

Can your local dealer help you out?
Old 05-26-2005, 05:01 PM
Speed
Pro

I highly recommend InterCity. I used them to transport my 356B from Atlanta to NY and my Dino from Ft. Lauderdale to NY and they were great and also had the best price. I've noted recent posts, however, where some people have noted that the prices for all the shippers have gone way up because of the increase in fuel prices.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:09 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the FedEx option or at least get an online quote from them. FWIW, some guy on another board bought a MB and arranged for the shipping. The short is that the car fell off the truck and was damaged. Seeing as the guy arranged for the shipping he had to battle it out with insurance etc. Not sure how it worked out. So, you may want to have the dealer be on the hook for it i.e. shipping. IOW, just CYA for fluke situations.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:26 PM
jfraser
Instructor

I highly recommend Intercity lines.....Had car shipped from PA to CA (Los Angeles)....All their rigs are covered & air sprung...they are the official transporter for the Carrera GT. It typically takes 7-10 days for the truck to pick up the car, and then 7-10 days for the transportation to CA....I say this because my dealer was less than forthright about how long it would be to get from him to me....I was pissed & it poisoned the transaction (really stupid thing to do).

whoever you choose have the dealer make the arrangements, if you don't you're letting them of the hook, and setting yourself up for trouble......FYI East to West coast should be $1500-$1600...Call them rather than using the online quote (it's cheaper...)
Old 05-26-2005, 06:24 PM
PV
Pro

I think so. I haven't seen another besides mine, yet
Old 05-26-2005, 06:36 PM
Coochas
Rennlist Member

Received 394 Likes on 203 Posts

Originally Posted by JSMDMD
So there aren't that many Carmon Reds in the country? It was hard to find for sure. None in the western half of the country. I am surprised that more buyers
haven't picked this color.
I really like the Carmon Red as well. When I was considering a Cayenne Turbo I sifted throught dealer inventories all over the country for Carmon Red... there aren't very many out there relative to the rest of the rainbow.
Old 05-27-2005, 12:01 AM
JSMDMD
Instructor

Default So Cal Dealers...

Originally Posted by jonquiljo
Before I got my 997, I was talking with my local dealer about getting one from other parts of the country. They were going to trade with incoming stock or allocations, and handle the transport for me.

Can your local dealer help you out?
The dealers in SoCal don't even want to talk about getting another car from another dealer, much less talking discounts. And if they do, I will still have to pay for the shipping, so I may as well get it from the original dealer. They have been great to deal with so far.
As far as having the dealer arrange for the shipping, they want to keep their hands clean of this, for understandable reasons.
I did call InterCity today and was quoted $1750. The will pick the car up in about a week and then take about a week to transport it here if I decide to have them do it. I contacted a few other transport companies and all seem to be in about the same ballpark.
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Old 05-27-2005, 11:51 AM
PV
Pro

That is not a good service from your local dealer. I was scanning the market a while a go, and the dealers in my area were willing to ship for me.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:02 PM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey PV, when you gonna post some pics of yours? Huh, huh, huh? We're still waiting!

And where is H-town anyway? It doesn't stand for Hymie Town does it (as Jessie Jackson once disparagingly called NYC)? Home town? Oh, I guess it's a nickname for Houston used by the locals, right?
Old 05-27-2005, 01:22 PM
tnunnery
Instructor

There is another Carmon Red (it's an S) at Stevens Creek Porsche in San Jose, CA. Apparently the buyer backed out of the deal after placing his order. PM me if anyone wants my dealer contact.

TVN

Quick Reply: My 997 Carmon Red is 3000 miles away... need a good shipper!