Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Change?

Old 04-21-2005, 03:09 PM
RonCT
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jcf7
Why would Porsche, the engine’s maker and the one responsible for warranty repairs, recommend 20K...if it needed change sooner?
My guess is they wouldn't - why risk it as a company? This is debated time and again here and elsewhere.

The factory that built and tested the engine says 20,000 miles - who are we to argue? If you believe it's never too often, then where to you draw the line? Oil gets dirty, so should you change it every 10k? Or how about 5? Maybe every 1,000 miles?

My computer tells me when and what I do is change once in between. My reasoning? Because I go to the track about 8-9 times a year and I figure that based on those loads, it's not a bad idea. If I were just street driving, you can bet I'd be letting the computer tell me when to go in for oil.
Old 04-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Gary R.
Can't explain why they would want contaminents circulating through the engine for 20K, no. I believe its simply that they are trying (as BMW does) to show a reduced TCO and that synthetics "can" still lubricate at 20K, especially since the car is designed to use a quart of oil every few thousand miles.

I'd LOVE to hear their logic though!
At least enviromental issues are part of the logic.

I change my oils & filters every 3000 miles, or even sooner depending on how many track days I have between those 3000 miles.

Like someone already said, cheap insurance.
Old 04-21-2005, 09:45 PM
jcf7
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

The dealer charged me $240!! They also couldn't give me an explanation, other than, "...we don't agree with Porsche.....but, you can wait to 20K, we just think that every 10K is better..."

I'll go back for the covered (paid by Porsche) 20K change, but after that I think I'll change it every 20K. My car is a lease.....
Old 04-21-2005, 10:29 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jcf7
The dealer charged me $240!! They also couldn't give me an explanation, other than, "...we don't agree with Porsche.....but, you can wait to 20K, we just think that every 10K is better..."

I'll go back for the covered (paid by Porsche) 20K change, but after that I think I'll change it every 20K. My car is a lease.....
On a lease I'd have dragged it out as long as you can. Not unless your planning to keep the car.
Old 04-21-2005, 11:02 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 253 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SrfCity
On a lease I'd have dragged it out as long as you can. Not unless your planning to keep the car.
I somehow doubt it, I get the impression the JCF will be moving on to an "S" next time.. hehe
Old 04-22-2005, 01:30 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just finished changing the oil in the 997S and the only way the process could possibly be easier is if the car jacked itself up. It is really easy. Now, granted, I already have Rhino ramps from the last car, and a decent but cheap 3 ton floor jack, and the Mann oil filter housing wrench that I bought from Porsche parts department, and a really great set of torque wrenchs, and a drain pan with a lid, but doesn't everybody?

Seriously, it is not necessary to pay to have the oil and filter changed... unless you want to have someone else do it.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:59 AM
OCBen
Banned

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I agree with Johnny, it's the easiest oil change I've ever done. I've changed the oil twice now on my 7725 mi. Boxster S. The first time right after break-in, and the second time just last weekend. I paid $3.99/qt of Mobil 0W40 at Kragen's on sale with a coupon. I can't see depriving myself of the pleasure and satisfaction of doing it myself. I plan to do all my oil changes on my 997S as well as eventual brake jobs. Changing the pads shouldn't be that difficult. Anyone here do this yet on a 997 or 996? I don't believe the cross-drilled rotors can be turned though.
Old 04-22-2005, 12:52 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by OCBen
I agree with Johnny, it's the easiest oil change I've ever done. I've changed the oil twice now on my 7725 mi. Boxster S. The first time right after break-in, and the second time just last weekend. I paid $3.99/qt of Mobil 0W40 at Kragen's on sale with a coupon. I can't see depriving myself of the pleasure and satisfaction of doing it myself. I plan to do all my oil changes on my 997S as well as eventual brake jobs. Changing the pads shouldn't be that difficult. Anyone here do this yet on a 997 or 996? I don't believe the cross-drilled rotors can be turned though.
Great, I'll let you do mine next time and I'll bring the pizza
Old 04-22-2005, 01:04 PM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn, $3.99 for Mobile 1 ?! That is a GREAT price... where did you find the Kragen coupon?

What type of pizza?
Old 04-22-2005, 02:04 PM
OCBen
Banned

Great, I'll let you do mine next time and I'll bring the pizza
And no cold ones to wash down that pizza??? Bring along some Bass Ale with that pizza and you've got yourself a deal!
Old 04-22-2005, 02:15 PM
OCBen
Banned

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
Damn, $3.99 for Mobile 1 ?! That is a GREAT price... where did you find the Kragen coupon?
The Kragen ads come every Sunday in the LA Times. Can't miss it, it's right there next to the funnies. They run this same coupon deal like twice a year and I'm always on the lookout for it when it comes around. That's how I bought the oil for my first oil change almost 4 yrs ago. The downside is that you're limited to just one case per coupon, which is only 6 qts! That's where being on good terms with your neighbor comes in handy. Kragen's sold me two cases with two coupons on the same sales order!

Costco also sells Mobil 1 for $3.99 per qt, standard price. But they don't carry 0W40.
Old 04-22-2005, 04:42 PM
SrfCity
Burning Brakes

And no cold ones to wash down that pizza??? Bring along some Bass Ale with that pizza and you've got yourself a deal!
Perfect. Damn, whish I'd known this before dropping the $200. At this rate it'll be a year from now
Old 04-22-2005, 05:35 PM
OCBen
Banned

Perfect. Damn, whish I'd known this before dropping the $200. At this rate it'll be a year from now
Oh well.... Next year it is. You may want to watch for those Kragen coupons in the meantime. Next run will probably be in a few months. If I happen to see it I'll post a notice here to alert everyone. The filter is best bought at Circle Porsche in Long Beach. Their prices on everything are much, much lower than at Newport. Oh, and don't forget to use your 10% PCA membership discount.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:25 AM
texas911
Race Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone use the suction method to change the oil?
Old 06-06-2005, 03:27 AM
sirebral
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have a quick link to a pictorial 996 DIY oil change tech? I've found one for the 993, yet no 996 net..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil Change?