Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 recall

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2005, 12:41 PM
Tina K
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have an exploded diagram of the recall part in question? For me personally, I would like to see visually what the issue is;
I sincerely hope that 997 current owners will experience a quick resolution.

Pardon my naivete on this next question, but would the factory be retooling as we speak to correct the defective component?

Tina
Old 01-31-2005, 01:52 PM
andyb_997
Track Day

First of all, can I say that I'm not jumping on the 'let's have a go at Porsche' bandwagon. The reason I started the thread was to inform other 997 owners that the problem exists and to, hopefully, gain a bit more understanding of how it may affect my car. With this in mind...........

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
The problem is 1mm. That's right 1mm. Somehow during machining of the case it was off by 1mm and depending on the measurements taken at two points on the case, the repair procedure can be one of four (IIRC). The primary check is done by removing the oil filter and measuring the distance from the edge of the case to the end of the threads where the oil filter housing screws in. If the measured distance is good then nothing else needs to be done. If not then the trans comes out and a second measurement is taken on the back of the case.

Not ever car that the recall is issued on will have a problem. We have checked three or four 987's and all have been OK.
.....I would be interested to hear whether, if my car is affected and the fault is subsequently corrected, there is a possibility that the miles I have driven with the defective component (approximately 1,700 to date) may have caused some damage which may not be apparent until later in the car's life? I do indeed applaud Porsche for contacting me about this and checking the car out - I just don't want to have a nagging doubt in the back of my mind about the future health of the engine.

Apologies for my engineering ignorance here!

Last edited by andyb_997; 01-31-2005 at 02:18 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:54 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What was done to complete your recall? How does your repair invoice read. As I stated, not every car that is recalled has an issue. If the trans was pulled then it is possible that a shim was installed between the intermediate shaft bearing cover and the engine case.

For all the more you have driven, I would not worry about a future problem. You will certainly know before the warrenty period is up.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:17 PM
nicoff
Racer

OK, based on what I have read in this thread, ONE person in the UK got a recall letter. Is this a problem across the Atlantic only? Have letters been sent to US owners of 997s? Any idea of number of cars affected?
Old 01-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Chris Prack
Drifting

Yes US care are affected. If you own a 997 or 987 call your dealer and have your VIN ready. They can check to see if your car is affected.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:55 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 98 Likes on 50 Posts

While I dont own a water cooled 911, I do, however, like to read the water-side of Rennlist. I enjoy reading and learning about what 996 and 997 owners do with their cars etc.

What I find shocking, and quite frankly, is the rate at which complete assemblies such as engines (170-200/month, world wide) and gearboxes are replaced, rather than repaired. I do understand at the dealer level, its not economically viable to dig into and repair engines and gearboxes for a multitude of reasons.

That said, it would scare me to death to own one of these models out of warranty, since I cannot or will not afford a new(er) 996/997, with a warranty. I am referring to factory warranty.

Porsche used to have a somewhat limited, two-year warranty. Is this because longer warrantees were not needed? Doubt its that simple, but it does appear with the 'mass produced' 911 of late, and its more frequent failure rate, Porsche has lengthened warranty periods as a result.

Sure, the aircooled cars, all iterations, had problems with some being 'deep', expensive ones. But, once addressed, these cars went on to live very long, problem free lives without recurring, similar problems such as RMS and catastrophic engine failures.

A 1mm machining error is HUGE when typical engine tolerances are +/- a few thousandths. For Porsche, as a high-end car maker, to all but gloat about their newfound profit margins, and have a quality control issue as this, is beyond me.

Please keep in mind this is solely my opinion and observation. And yes, we now live in the era of the internet where even the smallest issue can get blown way out of proportion in the matter of minutes, especially on public forums.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:37 AM
infestation
Instructor

I have an S launch car--I checked with my service advisor this morning and there are no recalls out on my VIN number. Hopefully that will be encouraging to those of you with launch cars.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:25 PM
nicoff
Racer

OK so this issue is also affecting US cars. Have any US members of this board received a written recall notice as well? I just hope that PCNA is not handling this issue the same way as the RMS problem. With RMS, Porsche has not been proactive at all. They basically wait for the problem to show up and then and only then will try to fix it. In this case, the stakes are much higher: you are likely to suffer a catastrophic engine failure and get stranded somewhere!
Old 02-01-2005, 02:02 PM
andyb_997
Track Day

Originally Posted by Chris Prack
What was done to complete your recall? How does your repair invoice read. As I stated, not every car that is recalled has an issue. If the trans was pulled then it is possible that a shim was installed between the intermediate shaft bearing cover and the engine case.

For all the more you have driven, I would not worry about a future problem. You will certainly know before the warrenty period is up.
Chris - thanks for your reply. The car is not being checked until this Saturday (5th February) so I don't know yet what repairs, if any, will be carried out. Once I do know, I will post here with more details. I will also try to get more general information (number of cars affected, etc.) from Porsche UK if I can.

Originally Posted by nicoff
OK, based on what I have read in this thread, ONE person in the UK got a recall letter. Is this a problem across the Atlantic only? Have letters been sent to US owners of 997s? Any idea of number of cars affected?
Sorry nicoff - I may have misled you. What I meant to say was that I only know of one other UK 997 owner with the problem. Obviously, there's likely to be more than that.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:09 PM
DD694
Instructor

Today I checked with service department at my dealer in Thousand Oaks, CA. Same story. Only a limited number of cars were possibly affected. My 997S was not one of them.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:48 PM
pedsurg
Three Wheelin'

Nicoff: That's my thinking. Is not a proactive recall notice a posotive development?
Jack

Quick Reply: 997 recall