Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997 track videos (New videos added)

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:07 PM
AndrewSS
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice video, good to see a 997s on the track, i really think you should get a new 997s or $ or refund. That is really horrible you have that problem!
Old 12-30-2004, 10:23 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Skip in Boulder
SrfCity, the car did in fact sit in the garage from November 28th until December 28th, to the point where I had to charge the battery to get it to start. The funny thing is that after sitting there for a month the problem was still there...
WOW! Even my TR6 could sit for a month and still start, even in the dead of winter!! Porsche using Lucas now? 8-)

Gary, unfortunately I didn't know the passenger was goofing around like that until after I got back. If I could figure out how to mount the camera I would, but there doesn't appear to be anything in the car that's really suitable. Another thought is to duct-tape it to my helmet...
Wish i was close enough, be GLAD to do the taping if you would teach me to drive!!
Old 12-30-2004, 11:08 PM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrew, all of the recent Porsches seem to have a problem with batteries going dead if the car sits for more than a couple of weeks. My Boxster seems to last about 2 weeks, and the 997 may have lasted a little bit longer. The fun part is trying to get to the battery when it's dead as the front hood latch only works when there is juice. Instead of providing an easy to use manual release, some genius decided to make you use jumper cables attached to the door catch and a little pull-out thing in the fuse box, which is inside the car.

The funny thing is that my Cup car has a relatively tiny battery, but it started right up last night after sitting in the garage since my last race in September. But, it does have a real cut-off switch, battery isolator, and none of the electronic stuff like alarm systems, so it's probably more akin to your TR6 int terms of battery life.

Gary, have you been to a PCA DE? There are some great instructors in PCA who can teach you how to drive your car well, and I would encourage all Porsche owners to go to as many as they can. I started in PCA DEs, went to a couple of Skip Barber schools, and have been Club Racing for a bit over a year. I don't think of myself as being a great driver, but all of the training and seat time has paid off and I can drive competently on the track.

PCA -
PCNA -

Last edited by SkipSauls; 12-30-2004 at 11:41 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:36 PM
Gary R.
Rennlist Member

Received 291 Likes on 173 Posts

Gary, have you been to a PCA DE? There are some great instructors in PCA who can teach you how to drive your car well, and I would encourage all Porsche owners to go to as many as they can I started in PCA DEs, went to a couple of Skip Barber schools, and have been Club Racing for a bit over a year. I don't think of myself as being a great driver, but all of the training and seat time has paid off and I can drive competently on the track.
PCA -
PCNA -
Skip - I just joined the CT PCA (CVR) and plan on attending any and all DE's that come up, even the 2/19/05 "Winter Traction Control" which is a "non-driving" event. Skip Barber is right up the road from me at Limerock, may look into that next year also!
Old 12-31-2004, 02:03 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Gary, I go to limerock alot with the metrony pca, the instructors are great, it's very safe for you and your car, you'll love it and become hooked!
Old 01-01-2005, 03:30 PM
DD694
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skip, great videos. Liked the chase of the turbo best, as it shows the relative strengths of each car.

Out of curiosity I would like to know what aspects, i.e. systems, of your 997S do NOT work with the dreaded "SYSTEM FAILURE - RETURN TO WORKSHOP" warning displayed. Clearly the car is driveable. Is there anything that does not function as it should in this state besides the "On-board Computer" in the tach panel?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:00 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Skip,
Do you want to give PCNA evidence they could use against you?
Old 01-01-2005, 11:11 PM
TT Gasman
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skip glad to see you're having some fun after all the trouble with the car. I hope it gets resolved to your satisfaction. Has the 993TT ever heard of a pass signal?
A friend of mine used one of those suction camera mounts on his 996 rear window, he was very happy with it, you might check it out.
Old 01-02-2005, 05:05 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Greg, I'm not sure what you're talking about here. The System Fault has been a "feature" of this car since day 3 of ownership, and has nothing to do with a visit to the track. Were I to try to claim that this problem happened during the track use, they might have a case.

Porsche clearly intends for these cars to be used on the track, as per the following excerpts from the "911 Carrera Owner's Manual":

P. 16 : Break in hints for the first 2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers - "Do not participate in motor racing events, sports driving schools, etc. during the first 2,000 miles/3,000 kilometers."

P. 65 : PSM Sport Mode - "This helps to achieve optimal lap times, particularly on race circuits and on a dry road surface."

P. 66 : Porsche Active Suspension Management (PASM) - "Sport mode offers a markedly sporty shock absorber tuning (e.g. for driving on the race circuit)."

P. 93 : CHRONO Stopwatch - "You can use the stopwatch to measure time intervals, e.g. on the race circuit..."

P. 96 : Displaying intermediate times - "Several intermediate times can be displayed for a lap on the race circuit." (There's an entire section on storing and evaulating lap times in the PCM maual.)

I did not take the car to the track until it had over 2200 miles on it, I engaged the sport mode for PASM/PSM, and I used the CHRONO to try to measure lap times. It seems to me that I was operating the car within the guidelines set forth in the owner's manual.

Per their warranty, it does not cover "Abuse, accident, acts of God, competition, racing or track use or other events beyond the control of Porsche Cars N.A." I've heard of people who try to claim track damage as part of the warranty or event their insurance, but I'm not that kind of person, nor am I in any way "abusing" the car.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:52 PM
Greg Fishman
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Skip,
I agree you shouldn't have any issue but IMO I wouldn't want to give them any reason to not take the car back. I went through a similar problem with an Acura and once it was agreed on I didn't drive the car and left it at the dealership even though it took a few days to do the paperwork, etc. I just didn't want to risk an accident and possibly giving them a way out.
Old 01-03-2005, 01:10 AM
SkipSauls
Addict
Rennlist Member

Here are some videos from 2nd Creek Raceway on Friday. This is a tighter track which favors more nimble cars like Boxsters, Miatas, etc. The 997 S did quite well there, which was surprising given its bulk. The brakes, tires, horsepower, PASM, etc. all work to make the car feel much smaller than it really is.

As at the other track, the brakes are great, but the tires are the weak spot as they don't have the grip to match the brakes. The handling is very good, with nice turn-in and very little of the understeer that so many street cars suffer from. Acceleration is also quite good, giving up very little to some cars with much more power.

The first video is "Muscle Car Traffic", where I get stuck behind a SVT Cobra and a Viper, with some pretty awful drivers in them. Like so many drivers of these cars they try to use the horsepower to stay ahead, but they can't match the superior braking and handling of the Porsche.

Right click and save this 6M WMV here.

The second video is a fast lap after I managed to get clear of the annoying bozo traffic. I was able to turn consistent 1:19's without much effort, and figure the car is good for 1:17's or faster. This compares quite favorably to most street Porsches, and would give all but the fastest racecars a good run for their money.

Right click and save this 5M WMV here.

Finally, the third video was taken externally and shows the 997 S from various angles, making passes, and so on.

Right click and save this 13M WMV here.
Old 01-03-2005, 05:49 AM
graham_mitchell
Banned

Received 443 Likes on 242 Posts

Skip, great to see the videos and to see you enjoying the car!
Old 01-03-2005, 11:27 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Great video Skip, too bad they let so many slow cars in that way too big of a run group! That would drive me crazy.
Old 01-03-2005, 12:24 PM
ELUSIVE
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Nice Video's Skip. Interesting lines for the Mustang and Cobra....
Second Creek is a really fun track and I'm glad you're having fun with your car.
We tried to make it out last week, but couldn't get off of work.
It's funny seeing everyone's faces when we destroy them in Neons. :-D

Stacey
Old 01-03-2005, 05:36 PM
Sloth
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Skip, how did the PCCB's hold up? Any problems similar to the first generation units on the GT2 & GT3?

Quick Reply: 997 track videos (New videos added)