Sponsored by:

Questions on Options 0n 997S

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2004, 02:47 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Re the adaptive seats, I definitely agree you should try them to make sure they are good for YOU, but they are very adjustable with the seat bottom sides and seat back sides, and that's the point of "adaptive". Even driving around town, I much prefer having the extra support of the adaptive sport seats to standard seats (not that I go that fast around corners.... ).

I never would have thought I would want heated seats in SoCal, but they are good therapy for sore backs and I like them!

I agree - don't get supple leather. Over time it won't wear as well.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:00 AM
JohnnyBahamas
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gonna be epic...

I own an S that I didn't order, just came off the truck. I'm tempted to order one to my specs and if I did, and this is just me...

Full Leather (simply awesome), *Supple leather (seats don't look briefcase flat), Fat steering wheel, *Chrono, *Heated front seats, *Wheel Caps, *Bose High End, *Standard Red Caliper Steel Brakes, and because I have the Power Seat package that is WAY too loose for my frame (5'10" at 165 lbs.) and that I rarely move my seats forward or backward, I'd order the Manual Sport Seats (so, if the mood moved me, I could swap in Recaro's or Sparco's without having to reprogram any computer modules looking for Adaptive Seat data) and put the money I saved into a more rare paint color (TBD)... but that's just me. (I'd also add the Auto dimming Mirrors and the Leather Sun Visors.)

* = options that came off the truck, too.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:18 AM
Le Chef
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why do you need adjustable sports seats? I've just never figured this one out. The differences between the "clamping" of the manual sports seats and the adaptives appears minimal to me. Once you've set them surely you would never touch them again, or am I missing something? Can somebody explain why these things are worth $2.25K more for 4 electric motors that you probably use only once?
Old 12-29-2004, 01:29 AM
jcnesq
Miserable Old Bastard
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 122 Posts

Agree, if the standard sport seats work, adaptive isn't really necessary. For me, power seat memory is mandatory, as I seem to have an enormously difficult time getting seats just "right" for me, and once I do, I want to save that setting, because somebody is always going to mess with the settings (wife, car wash, etc.). And I have adjusted the side bolsters on the adaptive seats to get it just right, so for me it was easily worth the $1,100 extra for adaptive sport seats versus standard seats.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:42 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyNarcosis
...I'd order the Manual Sport Seats (so, if the mood moved me, I could swap in Recaro's or Sparco's without having to reprogram any computer modules looking for Adaptive Seat data)
The 997's side airbags are mounted in the seats; switching even full manual seats will require some reprogramming, as the computer modules will be looking for airbag data.

Regarding another post questioning the need for "adaptive" seats; it all depends on your body shape and how you fit. That Porsche offers, what, five different seat options is great for everybody.

And I agree with a previous post about the "full leather" option being a long term liability; all it adds is leather to the areas most vulnerable to sun damage, and will end up looking worse than the standard plastic over time, especially in warmer climates, regardless of care taken to preserve it. The only cheap aspect of the standard interior, IMO, is that the Alcantara headliner only covers the area above your head...not the pillars, upper sills, or sun visors.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:49 PM
Graygoose997
.org
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Re: option 460 and full leather. I also ordered it on my 997s.can't say that I'm 100 % confident, but I think I'm buying the same 997S standard sport steering wheel, with the airbag cover in leather.

Quick Reply: Questions on Options 0n 997S