variable ratio steering...

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 09:45 AM
danoberer
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default variable ratio steering...

Dear Listers,

After reading the Autocar initial 997 test drive, it seems like the only major complaint involved the variable ratio steering. I was afraid it would be a problem. The variable ratio steering in the BMW 5 series feels horrible and imo takes away steering feel and driver involvement. Why would Porsche do this other than to jump on the "hey I have neat technology too" bandwagon. A 911 without it's crisp communicative steering is not quite a 911. Will we be able to order a delete option? Opinions?
Old 07-06-2004, 05:09 PM
Gk1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It might be worthwhile to take a deep breath and give Porsche the benefit of the doubt at this early point.. Ater all, the author of the Autocar piece did go on to say this:

"By the end of the second day, after belting the S over the challenging Franschhoek Pass and tapping into the car’s greater agility at the limit, taking advantage of its superior grip and more adjustable handling, I’d come to terms with the new set-up. Everywhere beyond the first 30 degrees of wheel movement the steering is quicker and more precise. Body control is brilliant. The 911 stays flat, linking corners in a series of incisive, flowing movements, the suspension soaking up bumps and surface changes that would upset the previous 911’s poise. Be warned, 996 owners need to accept that the 997 feels different. It took me until the third morning to accept that the changes to the steering truly worked."

Doesn't sound too bad to me.
Old 07-06-2004, 06:15 PM
GrantG
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 5,145 Likes on 2,901 Posts

The BMW steering system is totally different than the 997 system. It is dependent on vehicle speed and varies the amount of power assist constantly. The 997 system is only variable to the extent that the system is slower around the straight aheah position and faster as you turn more. The reason is that they didn't want nervous steering at high speeds on the highway, but wanted quick response on the corners. The inherent flaw, I think, is that when you are turning hard in one direction and then the other direction (like in an "S" curve), you need to unwind back through the neutral position, so there is a non-linear response as you unwind the wheel and then wind in the other direction. I also like the fast response in the neutral position better - this has always been a 911 trait. I think the new system dumbs down the performance, so some joker doesn't drive off the road while he's dialing the phone or drinking his frappaccino on the highway. I hope the 996 rack can be substituted!

Quick Reply: variable ratio steering...