Sponsored by:

Sudden throttle loss at speed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2024, 02:42 PM
ARODR
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Sudden throttle loss at speed.

997.1 Tip. Was on my way to work this morning. In 5th gear at 70mph felt the power briefly stumble. Didn't notice/get to see RPMs drop off but definitely felt like something momentarily shuttered. My brain was in autopilot so I didn't think too much of it, thought that maybe I took my foot off the gas or had accidently brushed the brake pedal. Kept driving and about a half mile later the car was not responding to my throttle input at all. Was trying to speed up to switch into the fast lane but engine response was almost as if RPMs were headed to zero. Electronics stayed on. Engine did not die. Pulled off freeway and turned off car. Started it back up and seemed fine. Took the streets to office. No codes thrown. One last piece of info that may be relevant. I've been running without the brake light that's on the spoiler since the tabs are broken on it and I don't want it flying off on a drive. When the power cut out the first time I noticed that the dash warning that usually tells me I don't have a brake light installed flashed. This warning flashes when ever I'm at freeway speed and I apply or tap on the brakes.
Did some research on this forum and it looks like people with similar symptoms have narrowed it down on their cars to either a bad brake switch, a bad wheel speed sensor, or a bad throttle body. Will run for codes later when I get home. Definitely feels like some kind of a sensor issue. Anyone have any other ideas? thanks
Old 09-19-2024, 03:04 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

Checking for codes is always a good place to start. But replacing the brake light switch is the easiest and cheapest potential cure. Amazing how there seems to be a sudden brake light switch epidemic.
Old 09-19-2024, 03:47 PM
ARODR
Track Day

Originally Posted by Hootsama
Checking for codes is always a good place to start. But replacing the brake light switch is the easiest and cheapest potential cure. Amazing how there seems to be a sudden brake light switch epidemic.
Yeah I noticed that too. The switch is $24 on Pelican so I just ordered one. Hopefully its a quick fix.
Old 09-20-2024, 09:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,762 Likes on 4,303 Posts

Not having that brake light in there has certainly helped with your diagnostics. What you describe with the throttle is exactly what happens when the brake light switch goes bad. It took me a long time to figure this out a decade ago when it first happened on one of my 997s.
Old 09-20-2024, 10:43 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Not having that brake light in there has certainly helped with your diagnostics. What you describe with the throttle is exactly what happens when the brake light switch goes bad. It took me a long time to figure this out a decade ago when it first happened on one of my 997s.
Although I haven't experienced this problem or behavior, should I just go ahead and replace this switch as preventive maintenance? After all it's just $24 and although my 2009 997.2 C2 only has 31K miles, I think that based on time alone it's cheap preemptive maintenance.

Or am I just looking for a solution to a non-existent problem??
Old 09-20-2024, 01:43 PM
ARODR
Track Day

Originally Posted by Astur
Although I haven't experienced this problem or behavior, should I just go ahead and replace this switch as preventive maintenance? After all it's just $24 and although my 2009 997.2 C2 only has 31K miles, I think that based on time alone it's cheap preemptive maintenance.

Or am I just looking for a solution to a non-existent problem??
couldn’t hurt to have the part on hand just in case. Here’s the one I ordered https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...13-03-OEM&fc=Y
Old 09-21-2024, 11:44 PM
einstuck
Rennlist Member

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Why the hell does the engine die if you don't have a brake light...?
Old 09-22-2024, 09:06 AM
ajayabb
Rennlist Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm sure you saw my saga from 2012 on the 997.1. I would just try replacing the switch and if that doesn't work go down this rabbit hole

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...continues.html

Quick Reply: Sudden throttle loss at speed.