Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI Nightmare - San Antomio TX. (Would appreciate input)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2024, 10:02 PM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

State inspector do annual inspection on cars and every service center does a free 3636637373 point inspection. Are they all getting sued? Or is calling a PPI triggering something.

If you want a bore scope and just want the pictures without asking them to determine good bad or indifferent. How does that remotely open them up to litigation?
Old 09-21-2024, 11:17 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
State inspector do annual inspection on cars and every service center does a free 3636637373 point inspection. Are they all getting sued? Or is calling a PPI triggering something.

If you want a bore scope and just want the pictures without asking them to determine good bad or indifferent. How does that remotely open them up to litigation?
I'll answer---->Because you are paying for the Inspection.
It's been a while since I've seen a sign in Porsche shops window advertizing free Bore Scope Inspections w/free photos - But clue us in if you've heard of any in San Antonio.

Last edited by groovzilla; 09-21-2024 at 11:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2024, 09:25 AM
workhurts
Three Wheelin'

Received 306 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I'll answer---->Because you are paying for the Inspection.
It's been a while since I've seen a sign in Porsche shops window advertizing free Bore Scope Inspections w/free photos - But clue us in if you've heard of any in San Antonio.

I mean what’s are the going to litigate. The shop took a picture. They don’t say whether that indicates anything. So you pay for a picture. You get a picture. What are you going to sue them for?
Old 09-22-2024, 11:10 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 733 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by workhurts
I mean what’s are the going to litigate. The shop took a picture. They don’t say whether that indicates anything. So you pay for a picture. You get a picture. What are you going to sue them for?
A small number of buyers will assume that because they pay for the ppi, all potential and existing problems should be identified by the shop providing the ppi. Any problems that come up after the purchase will cause the buyer to litigate the issues with the seller, the ppi shop, and any other entities involved in transaction. Let's say a shop does 20 ppi and make $15,000 from the ppi. If one of the transaction goes bad and results in a lawsuit where the shop has to pay $20,000 for a lawyer to defend them, it is a lot more convenient to just not do any ppi for anyone.

Again, if the shop is a good shop and has plenty of regular business, a ppi is just a bother with a big risk.
Old 09-22-2024, 11:17 AM
carguy999
Pro

Received 155 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah so that is the problem statement - I wonder if there is anything we as a community can do to keep shops interested in offering this service. It's going to be a lot harder and much riskier to buy old Porsches if we have no way of getting them inspected - and I, for one, would like to continue buying old Porsches.
Old 09-22-2024, 12:31 PM
Tom R.
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts

Why wont shops do a PPI you ask?
One word, just one word... plastics...

Local dealer told a friend they don't want to touch anything. If a piece made of plastic breaks when they touch it they would be on the hook to replace it. That is their reason for not doing a PPI. I cant blame them. Getting to a Boxster motor requires how many plastic clips to be removed? Should we talk about the undertray?
Old 09-22-2024, 02:47 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 472 Likes on 168 Posts

Well, first that sounds like a total ****show and sorry you had to go through that @groovzilla. But, second, last i heard you sold the 997...so im excited you're getting back in a new one!

I had RAC Performance do my PPI in the DFW area. High-end shop and i think they only charged like $250-300 at the time. And yea, all the dealers down there told me they couldnt do PPIs anymore for liability reasons. I flew down for the day and the seller let me take the car over myself, so it was a nice way to get acquainted with the car. Everything checked out, RAC walked me through the car, i had a nice lunch, gave the seller a check and flew home that afternoon. Such a fun day...cant believe it was 6 years ago and 60k miles ago.
The following users liked this post:
groovzilla (09-22-2024)
Old 09-22-2024, 04:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,008 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Well, first that sounds like a total ****show and sorry you had to go through that @groovzilla. But, second, last i heard you sold the 997...so im excited you're getting back in a new one!
I had RAC Performance do my PPI in the DFW area. High-end shop and i think they only charged like $250-300 at the time. And yea, all the dealers down there told me they couldnt do PPIs anymore for liability reasons. I flew down for the day and the seller let me take the car over myself, so it was a nice way to get acquainted with the car. Everything checked out, RAC walked me through the car, i had a nice lunch, gave the seller a check and flew home that afternoon. Such a fun day...cant believe it was 6 years ago and 60k miles ago.
Sounds familiar! ----> In most cases you find a car, well reviewed or suggested Posche shop does the PPI, you fly down check out the car and pay the seller.
Usually very smooth transaction and lots of fun. Especially driving home. I've probably driven 20 Porsches home over past 38 years.
Now I'm older and just not as much fun taking a 3 day road trip.
What happened with this latest shop Goose Automotive was unfortunate - They are complete unprofessional scumbag hacks.

Of all the PPI's I've had done where I have gotten a green light and flew down and drove home, I had one bad experience in San Francisco. I had Porsche Dealer Rector Porsche also called or later called Porsche Burlingame do PPI's on several 993's that I bought about 12-15 yrs ago. The same servce Tech dd all of my PPI's.

.....Fast forward to about 2020-21 I had a 2006 C4 Cabriolet PPI'd by them. Owner was Attorney and nice guy. Same Tech at PB did the PPI.
Porsche Burlingame said all was good on PPI/Bore Scope and photos looked good. This was a rare time the car could not be left at shop before I arrived so I paid shop & owner drove 997 straight back to his law office.
I arrive to SF law office with my wife and notice huge weird mark on front passenger seat leather. Looked like sun mark from something wet being left on seat. Sort of dry and very noticeable. I immediately called Porsche Burlingame and bitched them out for not mentioning this to me or writing it down on PPI report. I told PB I could have deducted this from my offer and had the seat bottom redone.
They wound up crediting me the PPI cost.
Thats the only other time I had any sort of issue with a PPI.

Last edited by groovzilla; 09-22-2024 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: PPI Nightmare - San Antomio TX. (Would appreciate input)