Sponsored by:

Moaning/groaning noice when sharply turning the wheel at low speed

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2024, 03:45 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Received 234 Likes on 105 Posts
Default Moaning/groaning noice when sharply turning the wheel at low speed

Wondering if this has happened to others?
When pulling into a parking spot at low/normal speed while turning the wheel sharp I get a moan/groan noise.
It started last fall and since taking the car out last week the noise is still there.
The fluid reservoir is full and nothing is leaking.

I am thinking it's either the power steering pump or the steering rack but was curious if this has happen to other 997s and what was your fix.

Thx
Old 04-09-2024, 04:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,654 Likes on 987 Posts

2009 C2S 197K miles

It may be what used to be called strut bearings. On the top of your front struts, the shock and spring assembly, there is a ring of ball bearings in grease and surrounded by rubber "plates". I suspect the sound is the rubber against rubber sliding and really not the bearings per se. Back when I purchased my 2000 Boxster S new, I had the groaning/creaking after only about a year or two of ownership. Back then, the dealers would replace them under warrenty as a courtesy. They did, and the creaking/groaning came back in about the same time period. It became... um... a charming feature of the car.

Try spraying the crap out of the upper parts with silicone spray. If it stops creaking after a bit of working in, there ya go... or is it Bob's your uncle? It will probably come back in six months to a year. I did this for my current C2S and thenwhen it came back I used my favorite penetrating grease Winzer Polylube 250 and it never returned.

Read more here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ube-it-up.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 04-09-2024 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 04:02 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 204 Likes on 152 Posts

Could be the top of the struts - that is fairly common - but would only happen when you are turning the car.

Or is it more of a drawn out noise vs a shorter noise as you turn?

Damn- Bruce beat me to it!

Bruno - trying to remember if you are on coilovers?

Last edited by Tj40; 04-09-2024 at 04:03 PM.
Old 04-09-2024, 05:13 PM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Tj40
Could be the top of the struts - that is fairly common - but would only happen when you are turning the car.

Or is it more of a drawn out noise vs a shorter noise as you turn?

Damn- Bruce beat me to it!

Bruno - trying to remember if you are on coilovers?
Yes B16 Damptronics. Installed in 2019. It's more of a drawn out noise. Really doesn't sound like suspension. I'll try to recreate it some more and add more info but I feel it is steering related.
Old 04-09-2024, 10:28 PM
LucV
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Does it sounds like this? Mine does it on the left side but only when turning left. Been doing it since I bought the car in 2020.

I've been trying to figure out what's causing this. Strut bearings and top plates have been changed but it persists.

Last edited by LucV; 04-09-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 06:56 AM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

The C4S has staggered wheels. The geometry is putting stress on the drive line components when the steering is completely clocked to left or right. Just try not to do that.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:04 AM
8x57IRS
Racer

Received 120 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by LucV
Does it sounds like this? Mine does it on the left side but only when turning left. Been doing it since I bought the car in 2020.

https://youtube.com/shorts/HC63S65NN...yjM6thV3wwAEu-

I've been trying to figure out what's causing this. Strut bearings and top plates have been changed but it persists.
This is exactly the call of a rutting roe deer. Scnr.
Old 04-10-2024, 10:21 AM
Recruiter_Bruno
Rennlist Member

No, definitely not that sound.
It's a moan/groan sound.
A couple of Porsche techs in my circle agree it's probably the power steering pump on its way out.
Old 04-11-2024, 11:55 AM
CarreraAlex
Rennlist Member

Received 172 Likes on 84 Posts

Just want to note that this happens to me when I leave my car for quite a while and drive it the first couple of times - it goes away once the car has been driven and warmed up so I always chocked it up to needing to move the system around. Is this constant for you?
Old 04-11-2024, 01:52 PM
jeffc2731
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by CarreraAlex
Just want to note that this happens to me when I leave my car for quite a while and drive it the first couple of times - it goes away once the car has been driven and warmed up so I always chocked it up to needing to move the system around. Is this constant for you?
One of my other cars (2012 VW Touareg) has the same symptoms of a drawn-out moan/groan at slow speed on full turns, eg parking. It was intermittent when hardly driving it, but recently I've been driving it more and I haven't been hearing it.
Old 04-11-2024, 02:40 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

Does it sounds like this? Mine does it on the left side but only when turning left. Been doing it since I bought the car in 2020. I've been trying to figure out what's causing this. Strut bearings and top plates have been changed but it persists.
Oh man, that sound right there would wreak havoc on my OCD.
Old 04-11-2024, 03:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Give in, just do it... Stick your head in there and shoot the crap out of the top with silicone spray. You won't hurt anything. You will know if it worked in an afternoon.

Peace
Old 04-12-2024, 11:51 AM
danzap
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I actually have this exact noise, only happens when turning left. It's this seal or metal ring or something for the steering rack input shaft. With someone turning the wheel I got under and ever so gently touched that part and the noise would go away so i guess there is some slight rubbing going on there, not sure if it means something is failing. Stick a glob of grease there and the noise might go away.
Old 04-12-2024, 12:00 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danzap
I actually have this exact noise, only happens when turning left. It's this seal or metal ring or something for the steering rack input shaft. With someone turning the wheel I got under and ever so gently touched that part and the noise would go away so i guess there is some slight rubbing going on there, not sure if it means something is failing. Stick a glob of grease there and the noise might go away.
The problem with general grease is that dirt sticks to it and then you end up with sandpaper. That is why I used Winzer Polylube as it is a penatrant, and the lubricant left behind is not very sticky... among others, it has PTFE... which I think is teflon.

Peace
The following 2 users liked this post by Bruce In Philly:
danzap (04-12-2024), Rig.Stunts (04-12-2024)

Quick Reply: Moaning/groaning noice when sharply turning the wheel at low speed