Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1016 Industries PDK Tune - Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 06:48 AM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 1016 Industries PDK Tune - Anyone?

I have seen it discussed by only one person (Khanh?) on multiple forums. Does anybody else have any experience with this PDK tune?

I’d like my 997.2 C2 to shift quicker like the 991 cars I've owned.

Much thanks!
Old 03-15-2024, 07:58 AM
trassalpl
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Sorry I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm definitely interested in this topic. I've seen various mentions of PDK tune (from Cobb if memory serves me well), but they seem to always be mentioned paired to wider engine tunes, which I don't really want/need. So if there's a way to improve PDK shifting without touching anything else, I'm very interested!
Old 03-15-2024, 09:11 AM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by trassalpl
Sorry I don't have anything to contribute, but I'm definitely interested in this topic. I've seen various mentions of PDK tune (from Cobb if memory serves me well), but they seem to always be mentioned paired to wider engine tunes, which I don't really want/need. So if there's a way to improve PDK shifting without touching anything else, I'm very interested!
FYI if you don’t want engine tuning: When I emailed 1016 Industries, Peter stated that there is a slight change in throttle response and torque limits. Not sure if you’re able to request a PDK tune without this feature but I welcome some better throttle response, personally.

Hope we can get some real-world feedback here… if not, it’s you or me to be the guinea pig.
The following users liked this post:
trassalpl (03-15-2024)
Old 03-15-2024, 10:28 AM
trassalpl
Instructor

Received 66 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by TommyPcar1
FYI if you don’t want engine tuning: When I emailed 1016 Industries, Peter stated that there is a slight change in throttle response and torque limits. Not sure if you’re able to request a PDK tune without this feature but I welcome some better throttle response, personally.

Hope we can get some real-world feedback here… if not, it’s you or me to be the guinea pig.
Thanks for sharing. I guess I'd be ok with slight changes in those areas, I'm just not trying to gain more power or something like that
Old 03-16-2024, 09:14 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,764 Likes on 4,304 Posts

There are enough issues with PDKs where I certainly wouldn't mess with anything related to it and the programming . That could become an expensive experiment with marginal gains and a huge downside.
Old 03-16-2024, 11:17 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,270 Likes on 818 Posts

A friend just bought a 991.1 TTS. As much as I like my PDK, I have to admit his blows mine into the wilderness. Or is it just that extra 160HP?!?!?!

But really, regardless of power, the newer units shift a lot better. Yeah, I'm surprised to be writing this. So I've been wondering if an update wouldn't be nice. I don't think there's anything physically different regarding the PDK between the models. So is it just software?
Old 03-16-2024, 03:12 PM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith
A friend just bought a 991.1 TTS. As much as I like my PDK, I have to admit his blows mine into the wilderness. Or is it just that extra 160HP?!?!?!

But really, regardless of power, the newer units shift a lot better. Yeah, I'm surprised to be writing this. So I've been wondering if an update wouldn't be nice. I don't think there's anything physically different regarding the PDK between the models. So is it just software?
The 991 Turbo is definitely on my future radar, amazing car I’ve heard. As for the 997 PDK, it’s a bit unclear what physical differences there are, if any. Seems crazy so little is known when they’ve been out for 15 years. If one company could crack the code to improving these PDK transmissions it would seem they could make a name for themselves.

Old 03-18-2024, 03:26 PM
greasem0nkey86
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by trassalpl
I've called Cobb directly and asked them about this.

When flashing the ecus, you can ask for ZERO TUNE from Cobb, which is a base map.
You'll load the base map, then you'll be prompted for PDK tuning, which you'll decide if which PDK map you want to load.

I do not have any experience with the tunes themselves.
trassalpl (03-18-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 05:44 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 82 Posts

I tried it in 2014...didn't notice any difference. My PDK also failed 7 years later. Can't say it's related, but I wouldn't bother.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:45 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

And if there was a difference, it was nothing like the 991 PDK. That was also why I was interested...
Old 03-20-2024, 06:29 AM
TommyPcar1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by steve0827
I tried it in 2014...didn't notice any difference. My PDK also failed 7 years later. Can't say it's related, but I wouldn't bother.
Steve, you tried the Cobb pdk tune or the 1016 Industries tune?
Old 03-20-2024, 08:33 AM
veetwin
Intermediate

Received 73 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi from the UK,

I've just had a TCU remap from Ninemeister here in the UK. They perform similar code changes to their Cayman Cup car and other customers TCUs. The TCU remap is in combination with 200cell, Sports Headers, Sharkwerks X-Pipe, PSE, BMC Filters and an ECU Remap from GAD Tuning

Removal of Torque Limits
Increased Clutch Line Pressure
Faster paddle reaction times

In Sport + mode the shifts are now rapid, with much less clutch slip

But, the biggest difference to the driving experience is the removal of the Torque Limits in the lower gears. The torque in 1st, 2nd and 3rd is noticeably more, it pulls really hard from as low down as 1500/2000rpm. Great for exiting slower corners. I understand the PDK gearbox is rated to handle the torque from the 997TT, so figured additional torque from an N/A Carrera engine would be acceptable from a long-term wear and tear standpoint

Old 03-20-2024, 11:21 AM
steve0827
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by TommyPcar1
Steve, you tried the Cobb pdk tune or the 1016 Industries tune?
1016 Industries. And when I say I didn't notice a difference, I actually went back and forth with them a few times to ensure I installed it properly. I think I ended up getting a refund because I was so disappointed...can't remember, was a long time ago.

So take my experience with a grain of salt. I'd probably check with the 997.2TT/TTS owners/tuners and see what they do (if anything).
TommyPcar1 (03-23-2024)

Quick Reply: 1016 Industries PDK Tune - Anyone?