PCCM+ Audio Issues - Stuttering

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2023, 04:03 PM
Manzione
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCCM+ Audio Issues - Stuttering

Hey guys! Greetings from Brazil.

I might be the only one that has a PCCM+ installed into a 997 here. The Unit in our country is too expensive so I doubt that we have another crazy person installing it here (mine I got from Spain during a trip)

I want to report an issue that I've been facing to (1) register here to Porsche Classic and (2) see if my colleagues can help (or are facing the same issue).

I've installed the whole pack for EU, meaning the FM Boosters, the FM adapter underneath the dash, the media with MOST, just like the videos and the posts here. And everything went well.

Until.........

The sound started stuttering. When I was still testing the media in APP mode (android auto) the music started gasping a lot. I went back to Radio and it was the same. Until one point that it muted completely.

I went through all the installation again, re-checked all the wires and suddenly it started working again. My first thought was that it was a connector issue (not well plugged). Then, I finished up the installation, closed everything and it was done.

Next morning, going to work with the car, listening to music, it started doing it all over again. First it starts with minor glitches, just like a lack of Internet connection on Spotify (which is not the case, as the musics are downloaded). Then, it starts stuttering big time, until the sound stops completely (again, both in APP and Tuner)

Went back home and was thinking what could possibly be. I had three possible causes: (1) the PCCM itself (2) The MOST adapter and (3) the original amp. Then I started thinking how to test the system. To test the MOST adapter and the AMP could be simple if we take into consideration that both work together. Then I saw that the PCCM has an analog output. This could be the way to test if it is the unit only or if there is anything else into the whole audio system.

I got an analog cable/adapter and plugged into an external speaker. This would allow me to confirm, when the problem starts, if it would be a fiber optic issue or the unit itself (I had already eliminated the AMP from the possibilities when I plugged the original radio to check for static, which it had). I found out that the system is "intelligent" enough to understand when the fiber optics are installed or not, as the speaker would not work when the MOST is being used. On the other hand, if you unplug the MOST cable, the speaker takes a while but starts playing again.

Then, with this "testing board" in hand, I used the car again, to see if, once I faced the problem, if I switched to analog, it would continue working (meaning that it is a MOST issue) or it would do the same (unit issue). It started doing the same again (still into MOST) and when I changed to analog it first didn't work (maybe because of the intelligent selection of output). After 1 minute or so (waiting for the tuner) I went back to Android Auto and hit play, and it started working again. But not for long. 5 minutes later, on the analog output, it did the same. So the MOST was not the issue.

Now I have a brand new PCCM+ that stutters after a while playing music, with no sound afterwards (after maybe 20 minute). Did any of you have experienced similar issue?

Additional notes:
The stuttering for me seems like a digital glitch, like a "buffering" that isn't working, It does not seem like an electronic issue (just like bad capacitors), although I would not exclude this.
One thing that I've noticed is when the problem starts, the Radio Stations have a problem on updating the name (it only shows the dial number, as opposed to the name of the station, when it is working fine.

Additional testing:
I still have to go through two additional tests, as I am in Brazil:
(a) I've just removed the antenna connector from the media, as one of my suspicion is that it might be related to Radio Waves and how the unit is receiving them
(b) Linked to the above, I will also reinstall the original FM Boosters and remove the little cable/adapter (so the antenna is at its original state).