Sponsored by:

Loud Suspension Bang When Negotiating Railway Tracks

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2023, 07:17 PM
herbg
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Loud Suspension Bang When Negotiating Railway Tracks

First post here ... love the forum. New Porsche owner here with a 2011 Carerra 4S with 6MT, PASM, SportChrono, Eibach springs, all the goodies. I've been searching for a manual transmission 997.2 S for quite awhile and was lucky to find this 60,000 KM example locally. Probably over paid a bit for the car but just couldn't pass it up.

I'm an experienced motorcyclist that has slimmed down a small collection of German and Italian bikes with the idea of getting a motorcycle-like experience in a small sports car. The 997.2 definitely has it. Plenty of power and a very visceral driving experience that engages one to the road -- much like motorcycling does. No disappointments and super happy!!

Enough of the preamble ... as I learn the foibles of driving this car, I have noticed loud bangs coming from the front of the car when crossing railway tracks or bumps in the road a bit too quickly. I crossed one railway crossing, ascending a hill, and slowed down to make sure I didn't bottom out. I may have been travelling around 30-40KM per hour crossing the rails. Nevertheless, it wasn't slow enough as I heard a terrible BANG - as if I bottomed the car out.

Another time, I noticed a bump in the road too late while driving down a country road at about 80 km/h and - BANG - another terrible sound. In that case, I actually pulled over at the next gas station to see if I damaged the car as I was convinced I would see something. However, all appears to be ok.

My question is this: Being new to the 997.2, is this a normal occurance when hitting these bumps or is this an indication that something is amiss with the suspension. I didn't think the 911 was that 'delicate' when negotiating bumps in the road. Or, do I simply have to crawl (I mean, how slow do I have to go?) over these bumps when I see them?

Appreciate your input!

Last edited by herbg; 09-01-2023 at 07:19 PM.
Old 09-02-2023, 09:13 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,763 Likes on 4,303 Posts

Not normal. Check suspension top mounts, lower control ​​​​​​arms, and that the foam snubbers are still present at the top of the front shocks - they orecent hard bottoming. Also look for any leaks on the shock bodies themselves which will look like greasy dirt
Old 09-02-2023, 05:17 PM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Sounds like a bad suspension part somewhere to me too.
Old 09-03-2023, 09:49 AM
herbg
Track Day

Thanks for your input. Probably a good idea to swing by my Indy shop and have a closer look. I have a small fluid drip as well but think it's the air conditioning as it only happens on hot days.

I shouldn't be surprised if the suspension is tired as the car has over 60,000 KM (38,000 miles) on the clock now.
Old 09-03-2023, 10:26 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,763 Likes on 4,303 Posts

38k miles is not a lot for a 997 suspension. My wife's c2s has 112k with no leaks or noises. I think Bruce got over 150k out of his original suspension and Wayne maybe ven more than that. I'd say you have something loose rather than worn.
Old 09-03-2023, 11:51 AM
da Vinci Dan
Instructor

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

I have 44K on my '09. Suspension is perfect. Something is off. Im assuming it is a shock mount, maybe a control arm, either way, likely something minor.If it makes that much noise, your indie should be able to diagnose without too much trouble.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:33 PM
waterpanda
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 48 Posts

My PASM front shocks were replaced around 65k miles, had Eibach for about 3k miles. According to my indy the lowering spring affects strut travel on the stock pasm struts, exacerbating wear. Replaced all four corners with B8 (designed for lowering springs). Lots of folks report not having any issues with lowering springs and stock pasm though.
Old 09-03-2023, 12:46 PM
herbg
Track Day

Yes, I'm thinking the same ... wondering if the Eibach springs are the issue or connected to something related to the installation by the previous mechanic.
I'll get this checked out!

Quick Reply: Loud Suspension Bang When Negotiating Railway Tracks