Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   All off a sudden my 997 won’t start (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1358421-all-off-a-sudden-my-997-wonit-start.html)

almico 08-02-2023 08:09 PM

Dealer hasn't solved it yet. It's not the key.

ZuffenZeus 08-02-2023 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by almico (Post 18940957)
Dealer hasn't solved it yet. It's not the key.

That's not good news.

I wonder if they've tried programming a new key to the car's security module just to see if it will take? I believe the way the IPASS system is designed is that it has to confirm one working key before programming another. You have a limited amount of slots that can be programmed to the car. The IPASS system was supposedly programmed in such a way to mitigate thieves stealing these cars and then trying to program new keys illegally. That's why most locksmiths won't touch these cars because of the equipment and PIWIS network requirements to program new keys.

There is not much more I could offer you but empathy. I've tried to help many people with these issues and in most cases the owners only had a lone key that was either broken or lost. And unless something changes with the Porsche dealership, you might need to replace the ECU and Immobilizer in addition to a pair of fresh keyfobs. You don't want to know the price the last guy has to pay.

Let's hope and pray they find a way to get it to work.

almico 08-02-2023 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus (Post 18941111)
I wonder if they've tried programming a new key to the car's security module just to see if it will take?

They did. They tried programming the old key and a new one. No bueno.

FWIW, I don't think they spent a lot of time with it today. The tech was pretty confident it was just a key programming and brought it in the shop later in the day for a "quickie".

He's going to start going through all the fuses tomorrow.

What's stunning to me is that something like this could happen in the blink of an eye on a beautiful sunny day, 2 hours after it worked just fine. What would happen if I had it on a trip? At this point if I had to chose a car to take on a long trip, I'm taking the '76 911. I've already driven it 2800 miles from Spokane to NJ. I would never take a newer 911 on a trip like that. Not after this.

Your help is very much appreciated. Hopefully I can pass on my experience to the next "victim".

ZuffenZeus 08-03-2023 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by almico (Post 18941201)
What's stunning to me is that something like this could happen in the blink of an eye on a beautiful sunny day, 2 hours after it worked just fine. What would happen if I had it on a trip? At this point if I had to chose a car to take on a long trip, I'm taking the '76 911. I've already driven it 2800 miles from Spokane to NJ. I would never take a newer 911 on a trip like that. Not after this.
Your help is very much appreciated. Hopefully I can pass on my experience to the next "victim".

I talked to an owner many years ago that had the same issue. Took the Porsche on a weekend date with his wife. During his dinner he noticed he didn't have the key in his pocket. Like many, he ONLY had one key to the car. They searched everywhere for it, but couldn't find it. Called a locksmith to unlock the door thinking the key might have fallen inside the car. They arrived and was able to gain access to the inside of the car, but guess what? The car was armed and opening the door set off the alarm! Now, the car is honking, they still can't find the key, and the honking noise is ruining dinner for everyone. No-one knows what to do. Can you imagine the scene? :eek: They called a tow truck. The owner is dumbfounded on what to do about the noise and can't seem to figure out a way to access the frunk to disconnect the battery. Didn't know about the location of the manual release cable. :banghead: And so, the tow truck came and towed the car to the dealership honking down the road. Because the car "thinks" it's being stolen, it goes into lock-down mode which basically bricks the immobilizer. The only way to get it out of this mode is by having a working key and locking and unlock the car. If I remember correctly, the owner had to pay for a new IPASS set (immobilizer, keys, etc.) and programming at the tune of around $3,000. Let's hope that's not the case for you. Maybe it's something more simpler. But if they get your original key to work, but for goodness sakes, purchase a backup key fob. :thumbup:

8x57IRS 08-03-2023 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by almico (Post 18941201)
They did. They tried programming the old key and a new one. No bueno.

[...]

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus (Post 18941111)
That's not good news.

I wonder if they've tried programming a new key to the car's security module just to see if it will take? I believe the way the IPASS system is designed is that it has to confirm one working key before programming another. Y[...]

The behavior is as I experienced when I converted my old key MK1 design to a MK2 design and sweaty found that the Diva does not start. At that time, I didn't realize that there was a chip in the key. I then operated out the RFID chip, implanted and all was well. It could be that the RFID chip is "broken", how can that think break (on a sunny afternoon??) and more important, how could it be diagnosed?? Isn't it a passive magnetic thing? Strong magnetic fields? Because if you know it is not working you have (probably) found the cause. Stupid enough.

almico 08-03-2023 02:01 PM

Part# 997 618 172 19 AntiTheft Control Unit took a dump. Unfreakin' believable. Looking for a used one.

Anyone know if older part numbers cross reference. I see a 997 618 172 12 for $50. Retail is $1600. Discounted new is $1300.

ZuffenZeus 08-03-2023 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by almico (Post 18942222)
Part# 997 618 172 19 AntiTheft Control Unit took a dump. Unfreakin' believable. Looking for a used one.

Anyone know if older part numbers cross reference. I see a 997 618 172 12 for $50. Retail is $1600. Discounted new is $1300.

Yea, that's another name for the Immobilizer or security module. The Porsche dealership confirmed this? What is their charge to install and program a new one to the car with a pair of key fobs with warranty?

almico 08-03-2023 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus (Post 18942227)
Yea, that's another name for the Immobilizer or security module. The Porsche dealership confirmed this? What is their charge to install and program a new one to the car with a pair of key fobs with warranty?

I’m afraid to ask. They did suggest I buy the part elsewhere. Good on them.

New key head is $338. I have the cut blades already.

If I get out of this under $2k I’ll be amazed.

what I need to know is can you re-program a used immobilizer? If you have the Vin of the original car?

ZuffenZeus 08-03-2023 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by almico (Post 18942258)
I’m afraid to ask. They did suggest I buy the part elsewhere. Good on them.

New key head is $338. I have the cut blades already.

If I get out of this under $2k I’ll be amazed.

what I need to know is, if you can re-program a used immobilizer? If you have the Vin of the original car?

Honestly, the owners that I've seen try it with success, actually purchased a matching used immobilizer, DME, and key set. I'm not 100% sure you can reprogram a used immobilizer. That would be a good question for the Porsche service team you're dealing with. My guess is you can't since the used ones have been "married" to the previous DME. The new OEM replacements come blank ready to be matched to new keys/DME.

The last person on the RL 997 forum that had a similar problem with their cabriolet, didn't get the used immobilizer to work with the car's DME. The Porsche dealership he was dealing with claimed they "reprogrammed" and charged him for their time, but the car didn't work. And since he purchased a used immobilizer, there was absolutely NO warranty or recourse. You're out of your money. Period.

My advice is to bite the bullet and purchase an immobilizer, keys, and programming, then move on with life. If you have any problem, they will make it right because the labor AND parts are backed with a warranty. You won't get that by purchasing it someplace else. But it's your car, do what you feel is right. Just know the risks.

Graufuchs 08-03-2023 03:07 PM

https://www.ecudoctors.com/collectio...997-618-172-09

ZuffenZeus 08-03-2023 03:32 PM

Great video. This supports what I've been trying to say to the OP. It's better to swallow your pride and open up your wallet... that means, just have the Porsche service team replace and program a new immobilizer (security) module and new key fobs. The guy at ECU Doctors even makes a great point about NOT buying a used iPAS set on eBay or someplace even though this is about the only way to make a used immobilizer work on a different Porsche car. This is because the used immobilizer and DME (ECU if you prefer) are hard coded from the factory to match the VIN. The DME keeps a record of the car (e.g. overrevs, operation hours, etc.) and it's all tied to the VIN #. Replacing it when a used one could be bad for the next owner and could prevent them from purchasing new keys or even doing service. Why? Because the VIN# no longer matches the chassis which has the appearance of a stolen car.

almico 08-03-2023 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Graufuchs (Post 18942340)

The looks like it would have been a good option before I towed it to the dealer.

Graufuchs 08-03-2023 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ZuffenZeus (Post 18942380)
Great video. This supports what I've been trying to say to the OP. It's better to swallow your pride and open up your wallet... that means, just have the Porsche service team replace and program a new immobilizer (security) module and new key fobs. The guy at ECU Doctors even makes a great point about NOT buying a used iPAS set on eBay or someplace even though this is about the only way to make a used immobilizer work on a different Porsche car. This is because the used immobilizer and DME (ECU if you prefer) are hard coded from the factory to match the VIN. The DME keeps a record of the car (e.g. overrevs, operation hours, etc.) and it's all tied to the VIN #. Replacing it when a used one could be bad for the next owner and could prevent them from purchasing new keys or even doing service. Why? Because the VIN# no longer matches the chassis which has the appearance of a stolen car.

You can reuse those used Immobilizers but it most likely involves pin jumping or reading and placing the memory into "Virgin" status or unsoldering the memory chip and replacing it. Well above most of our pay grades.

We used to do that to "locked" ECUs but it takes a lot of knowledge of the microprocessors and micro-pin readouts. (The software and access was well in the $10K+ area) Not feasible in your situation.

almico 08-03-2023 07:31 PM

I ordered the module from a Porsche dealer. Delaware had it the cheapest @ $1221 and $12 shipping.

Service manager said they're into it about 2 hours now. They ordered a key fob and programming the whole thing will be another hour.

So...

$250 for a new battery that it didn't need.
$225 tow to the dealer
$338 new key
$675ish labor
$1223 part.

$2711 just for parking the car for 2 hours on a bright sunny day.

A friend stopped in my coffee shop today and made me feel "better". He has a 992 but he also has a Ferrari. The Ferrari was shedding some black sticky stuff off the back of the shift paddles. He brought it to the deal and $19071 later he got his car back. Oooph!

ajayabb 08-03-2023 10:50 PM

I've been told that all that rubber touch coating on Ferrari's dash and console degrade over time much like the rubber knobs on the PCM and eventually need replacing . That's crazy money but factoring in what shop rates and Ferrari parts costs we shouldn't be suprised ?