PCCM+ Backup Camera Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2024, 03:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by ATX_Native
Yep.

Me and another local board member did our cars on a Saturday morning.
i suspect they updated the transControl module for the .2 manual cars to incorporate an electronic reverse gear signal - there has been no evidence that i have seen that they have this for a .1 manual car.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:38 PM
teejerdude
Track Day

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I just installed a PCCM Plus unit in my 2006 997.1 Carrera S with Bose and a 6-speed manual transmission. I installed a backup camera (AUTO-VOX HD Car Rear View Backup Camera with a mounting bracket that fits behind the license plate...only about $30 on Amazon and less with coupon when available), and the camera is connected to the PCCM Plus and is working properly when I put the manual transmission into reverse. It took me a few tries to get the camera working. There was an important piece of information that I missed during my internet searches for installing a backup camera to PCCM Plus for a manual 997.1, so I’m providing this info in the event this info can help others since this information is the whole key to making the backup camera work with a 997.1 manual transmission.

There is a very good PCCM Plus backup camera installation write-up on Rennlist by Svandamme, and the link is provided in the second post above by Dlascoskie. Here's the link again, and I could not have gotten my camera working without this info; huge thanks to Dlascoskie & Svandamme (if the link does not upload, then you may have to cut and paste in your browser): https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post18628451

As obvious as this should have been, the piece of info I originally missed at the page pasted above is the green trigger wire shown in Svandamme's instructions that provides the 12-volt current from the backup camera to Pin 6 on the PCCM Plus is not included as part of the wiring harness that comes with the PCCM Plus. You have to add your own new additional wire into the Pin 6 location on the small wiring harness plug to supply the 12-volt camera trigger signal to activate the camera in PCCM Plus. Svandamme's green wire was so professionally installed that it looked like he just had a different harness than I received, so I was stumped and could not move forward...but then I realized the harness was the same but he had added the green wire himself.

I scavenged a wire from another car stereo device I had lying around, and this wire had a small enough pin connector to fit into the PCCM Plus wiring harness. The new wire shown in the photo below in the Pin 6 location happens to be white rather than green as in Svandammes's write-up, but the photo below shows where to install the new Pin 6 wire. Before connecting everything, I used a multimeter to confirm my 12-volt backup camera trigger wire had power when I put the car into reverse. Then, once I connected the backup camera 12-volt trigger wire to this new wire on the back of the PCCM Plus, when I put my manual transmission into reverse, the backup camera worked perfectly.

Old 07-22-2024, 07:00 PM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

What size pin is that and where did you get it?
Old 07-23-2024, 01:45 PM
teejerdude
Track Day

Scb1712, I de-pinned the wiring harness from an old iSimple FM modulator device I was no longer using to get the extra wire needed in the PCCM+ harness, but I only did this because the iSimple wiring harness was readily available on the day I realized I needed an additional small pin/wire. I cannot guarantee the solution I am suggesting here will work, but I'm 99% confident in this recommendation: To get the extra pin/wire for the back-up camera, I recommend ordering a "Viper Clifford Python Avital Directed DEI Alarm 3 Pin Lock Unlock Harness Plug" from eBay for less than $6.00 for a few of these Viper harnesses. I have used this little harness before, and the small pins in the Viper harness appear to be the same size as the PCCM+ harness pins, so the Viper pins should work in the PCCM+ harness. Just de-pin one of the wires on the Viper alarm harness and install the pin and wire into the PCCM+ harness in the location indicated. If I were doing this project again today, this Viper harness is the one I would order to get my pin/wire for the back-up camera. Here's a link to the Viper harness: https://www.ebay.com/itm/255907228465

If you use the Viper harness, it would be great if you could report back on whether the pin fits in the PCCM+ harness.
Old 07-25-2024, 11:43 PM
Scb1712
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 21 Posts

Teejerdude - Thanks for the suggestion! I picked up a generic 3-pin cable socket (see below) at a local electronics store for $4 and was able to remove the red pin and wire with a pin remover. Fit perfectly into the plug. Connected it to the red trigger wire on my back up camera and everything works as it should now.

Old 08-01-2024, 11:01 PM
teejerdude
Track Day

SCB1712, congrats on getting the back-up camera working! Thanks for posting the wiring harness you used.
Old 08-02-2024, 11:46 AM
function12
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Scb1712
Teejerdude - Thanks for the suggestion! I picked up a generic 3-pin cable socket (see below) at a local electronics store for $4 and was able to remove the red pin and wire with a pin remover. Fit perfectly into the plug. Connected it to the red trigger wire on my back up camera and everything works as it should now.

I think an old PC fan has a similar connection/pins.

Quick Reply: PCCM+ Backup Camera Issue