Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed PCCM+ Today — Great Looking System! (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2023, 07:59 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 686 Likes on 208 Posts
Post Installed PCCM+ Today — Great Looking System! (photos)

Finally got the opportunity to install one of these today and check it out in person. The installation was fairly straightforward, but we did need to pin the harness and run a reverse trigger to add backup camera support for the MT. Also added SiriusXM with the antenna in the usual spot under the cowl(GPS antenna beside it as well). Fit and finish is fantastic, though we did need to add some buffer strips to the sides so that it didn't rock around. Noticed it when I pulled the USB out that the radio face moved with it about 2-3mm. I also wish the USB and SD were both on the backside, just for cleanliness — I did see the write-up on converting to rear USB, so we'll probably do that on the next one. Overall, thumbs up for the PCCM+ system.

Took some photos of the final product — looks killer!

The following 5 users liked this post by 12v Nick:
BLU997 (04-20-2023), Graufuchs (04-14-2023), JerryK (04-13-2023), myw (04-14-2023), speedracerf4i (04-14-2023)
Old 04-13-2023, 08:03 PM
Nghatri
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, congrats. I wonder when the 997.2 version will come out. I've been having trouble finding info on it...
Old 04-13-2023, 11:14 PM
adityab
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome! Have you noticed any difference in sound quality? And if so, what source were you using before?
The following users liked this post:
Summerjack (04-18-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 01:22 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Nghatri
Looks great, congrats. I wonder when the 997.2 version will come out. I've been having trouble finding info on it...
If you REALLY wanted to, you could pull the PCCM unit apart and paint the face black. Electrically, I don't see any reason why the PCM2.1 replacement should be any different from PCM3 — They both run on the same MOST25 protocol.

Originally Posted by adityab
Looks awesome! Have you noticed any difference in sound quality? And if so, what source were you using before?
This car has Bose, and the sound quality is great. It hasn't improved over stock, but being able to play music via TIDAL means we have a far superior source material than we ever had with the OEM system.
The following users liked this post:
Surj-993C2S (04-14-2023)
Old 04-14-2023, 01:29 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 422 Posts

Are you going to try a wireless CarPlay stick?
Old 04-14-2023, 01:45 PM
Houndstooth
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

Except for short drives, I haven't found wireless CarPlay to be particularly useful unless you also have wireless charging. CarPlay with navigation or music playing kills your phone battery, so you might as well just plug the phone in anyway. I'm just happy to have CarPlay at all.
Old 04-14-2023, 01:53 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Nice job they did color matching that silver-gray which is tough to do. I tried to have the bezel painted on my old 997.1 when I installed an aftermarket unit, it was impossible to color match despite multiple tries. It would look okay under certain lighting but would be off in the sun or bright lights. From your photos it looks nearly perfect.
Old 04-14-2023, 02:10 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by Houndstooth
Except for short drives, I haven't found wireless CarPlay to be particularly useful unless you also have wireless charging. CarPlay with navigation or music playing kills your phone battery, so you might as well just plug the phone in anyway. I'm just happy to have CarPlay at all.
I have the NM Automotive unit.

Most of my drives are under 20 mins so honestly I wouldn’t want to go back to wired.

I use a Cig Lighter Adaptor to USB under the seat that is hardwired to the fuse box on an ignition fuse for longer trips.

Then I can tuck the wire away when not needed.
Old 04-14-2023, 03:46 PM
hays0023
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 12v Nick
If you REALLY wanted to, you could pull the PCCM unit apart and paint the face black. Electrically, I don't see any reason why the PCM2.1 replacement should be any different from PCM3 — They both run on the same MOST25 protocol.

This car has Bose, and the sound quality is great. It hasn't improved over stock, but being able to play music via TIDAL means we have a far superior source material than we ever had with the OEM system.

Do you need/want a gunea pig Nick?
Old 04-14-2023, 04:44 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 603 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by hays0023
it will work - as the aftermarket units just use the exact same pin/wiring on the main unit harness - which connects to either a .1 iso harness or a .2 quadlock harness. but the signals are the same.
Old 04-14-2023, 05:41 PM
G.I.G.
Pro

Received 296 Likes on 171 Posts

Fit and finish is fantastic, though we did need to add some buffer strips to the sides so that it didn't rock around. Noticed it when I pulled the USB out that the radio face moved with it about 2-3mm.
Did you remember to tighten down the set screw on the passenger side of the frame that helps to snug the PCCM+ in place? If you remove the passenger side panel on the right side of the PCCM+ in your pics, you should see a small screw that requires an 8mm (if memory serves) wrench to tighten or loosen it. You should have needed to loosen it to remove the old PCM. While the cam locks are no longer used on the new PCCM+ due to the new clip design, the set screw is still required to snug the PCCM+ in place so it doesn't wiggle around in the frame.
Old 04-14-2023, 06:03 PM
12v Nick
Platinum Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by hays0023
Potentially! I need to look into it a bit more and chat with the tech team.

Originally Posted by myw
it will work - as the aftermarket units just use the exact same pin/wiring on the main unit harness - which connects to either a .1 iso harness or a .2 quadlock harness. but the signals are the same.
Only worry I have at this point would be the CAN communication. I don't have a simple way of knowing if they're executing the same commands.

Originally Posted by G.I.G.
Did you remember to tighten down the set screw on the passenger side of the frame that helps to snug the PCCM+ in place? If you remove the passenger side panel on the right side of the PCCM+ in your pics, you should see a small screw that requires an 8mm (if memory serves) wrench to tighten or loosen it. You should have needed to loosen it to remove the old PCM. While the cam locks are no longer used on the new PCCM+ due to the new clip design, the set screw is still required to snug the PCCM+ in place so it doesn't wiggle around in the frame.
Yup, snugged that up as far as it would go and still had a couple mm of play.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:12 PM
AvonLee
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Installed PCCM+

I had the same unit installed in my 2006 Boxster. it matches perfectly, and interfaces with internal electronics. It shows mileage range remaining, average fuel mileage, ect.
Does anybody know which XM Radio add-on model works?
Old 04-19-2023, 06:23 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Only worry I have at this point would be the CAN communication. I don't have a simple way of knowing if they're executing the same commands.
alot of the basic stuff is the same canBus signals. I know this since the .1 + .2 aftermarket units - use the same CanBus modules for all 997/987s (regardless of .1 or .2) and they are all derived from the 955 canbus. There COULD be some difference re sport chronos (assuming there are diff functions between the .1+.2 cars) but for 90% of the stuff like steering wheel controls, dimming the unit alongside the headlamps, the auto cars knowing that the cars are in reverse, system/car temp, parking brake signal etc ... its all the same.
Old 04-19-2023, 06:25 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Nghatri
likely 2025 at the earliest. they will need to redesign the .2 version from scratch as the oem screen is already 6 or 6.5" - it needs more then a 1/2" screen upgrade.

Quick Reply: Installed PCCM+ Today — Great Looking System! (photos)