Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RPM Technik carbon fiber ducktail

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 05:27 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

So the CHMSL is blocked from view with the RPMT ducktail?
Old 05-31-2023, 06:19 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Received 88 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by 9elvn
Looks awesome mine was suppose to be here already but still waiting

final touch will be doing the work for me also in NJ
Nice. Where are you located? If you’re interested I’d be open to meeting up if you want to take a look at it in person.

I hope your ducktail is packaged better and in better condition than mine.

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
So the CHMSL is blocked from view with the RPMT ducktail?
what is a chmsl?
Old 05-31-2023, 07:10 PM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

[QUOTE=seoulshakers;18832757]Nice. Where are you located? If you’re interested I’d be open to meeting up if you want to take a look at it in person.

I hope your ducktail is packaged better and in better condition than mine.

I’m in Manhattan and would love to meet up a fellow 997 owner
Old 06-01-2023, 04:50 PM
///Malcontent
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulshakers
what is a chmsl?
Center high-mounted stop light. Third brake light.
Old 06-01-2023, 06:29 PM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Originally Posted by ///Malcontent
Center high-mounted stop light. Third brake light.

got it. Not sure since I haven’t seen it installed but I’ll let you know
Old 06-06-2023, 12:30 AM
seoulshakers
Instructor

Ducktail is on and I have to say I love what it does to the rear of the car. The subtle hints of carbon is a nice touch imho. The shop was able to get most of the marks off minus the one area that was repaired by whoever made the ducktail. The blemish isn’t that bad and it’s on the underside. Still for such an expensive piece I’m a bit disappointed about this. I also had to pay more to get all the repairs done. The last time I spoke with Simon at rpm technik he had asked me to send him an itemized invoice of the repairs. I sent it and haven’t heard from him. I also emailed him today with the final image of the install and how you can still see the repaired area and… I got an automated email saying they are experiencing a high volume of inquiry and to call…. How convenient.

Nevertheless I’m glad this mod is over and done with. Had I know I would have to wait 6 months to only get a product that was poorly QC, and poorly shipped with blemishes and repairs, I’d probably wouldn’t have bought it and went with a Getty. Anyways enjoy the pics.

The following 5 users liked this post by seoulshakers:
GT2RSobsessed (07-29-2023), Jhicks2729 (02-04-2024), Liste-Renn (08-01-2024), misterdega (06-08-2023), myw (08-01-2024)
Old 06-06-2023, 12:47 PM
whacko77uk
Advanced

Received 88 Likes on 33 Posts

Looks great.

With regards to finishing RPM offer a version that comes lacquered and finished perfectly for a few $$ more. I think they must expect this version to be painted in its entirety.
Old 07-27-2023, 02:47 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Received 348 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for sharing your experience with RPM Technik ducktail. The whole process seems like a pain. Interestingly, if you check their ducktail product page, it says they no longer ship it to US or Canada.

Old 08-01-2024, 05:19 AM
AndrewSimmon
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seoulshakers
Ducktail is on and I have to say I love what it does to the rear of the car. The subtle hints of carbon is a nice touch imho. The shop was able to get most of the marks off minus the one area that was repaired by whoever made the ducktail. The blemish isn’t that bad and it’s on the underside. Still for such an expensive piece I’m a bit disappointed about this. I also had to pay more to get all the repairs done. The last time I spoke with Simon at rpm technik he had asked me to send him an itemized invoice of the repairs. I sent it and haven’t heard from him. I also emailed him today with the final image of the install and how you can still see the repaired area and… I got an automated email saying they are experiencing a high volume of inquiry and to call…. How convenient.

Nevertheless I’m glad this mod is over and done with. Had I know I would have to wait 6 months to only get a product that was poorly QC, and poorly shipped with blemishes and repairs, I’d probably wouldn’t have bought it and went with a Getty. Anyways enjoy the pics. The RPM Technik carbon fiber ducktail is a fantastic upgrade for car enthusiasts looking to enhance their vehicle's performance and aesthetics. This high-quality component not only reduces weight but also improves aerodynamics, leading to better handling and stability at high speeds. Its sleek design adds a sporty touch to any car. For those interested in exploring various perspectives and honing their writing skills, checking out argumentative essay samples at https://studyhelper.com/argumentative-essay-samples can provide valuable insights and inspiration for crafting compelling essays.

very cool

Last edited by AndrewSimmon; 08-01-2024 at 05:22 AM.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:03 PM
DV_LWYR
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by J.Tan
Thanks for sharing your experience with RPM Technik ducktail. The whole process seems like a pain. Interestingly, if you check their ducktail product page, it says they no longer ship it to US or Canada.

Does RPM Technik even offer this ducktail anymore? I checked their website and I don't see the option, even with a GB VPN address. If not, where else can you purchase a 997.1 ducktail that isn't a Chinese POS? Thank you in advance.

BTW, @seoulshakers your car is beautiful.
Old 09-10-2024, 05:34 PM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 100 Posts

Expensive IMO
Old 09-10-2024, 09:11 PM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DV_LWYR
Does RPM Technik even offer this ducktail anymore? I checked their website and I don't see the option, even with a GB VPN address. If not, where else can you purchase a 997.1 ducktail that isn't a Chinese POS? Thank you in advance.

BTW, @seoulshakers your car is beautiful.
RPM Technik discontinued the ducktail. In fact, I think they discontinued all the carbon composite parts.
Getty Design ducktail is always a safe bet, as many people here have positive experience with it. But it's made of fiberglass.
A friend of mine recommended the carbon ducktail from 9XX Teile. I was going to get it but I'm moving on from my 997.
https://www.9xxteile.com/en/classic-...bon-acc971005c
Old 09-12-2024, 04:34 PM
prestonj67
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend of mine recommended the carbon ducktail from 9XX Teile. I was going to get it but I'm moving on from my 997.
https://www.9xxteile.com/en/classic-...bon-acc971005c
What would be the reason for buying from Belgium rather than one from Getty ? At 3.8kg is it supposed to be lighter than a full fiberglass one from Getty (no idea what the fiberglass version weighs) ?
I think by the time you include the 3rd brake light, harness, and shipping the cost must be similar.
Old 09-14-2024, 06:54 AM
J.Tan
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by prestonj67
What would be the reason for buying from Belgium rather than one from Getty ? At 3.8kg is it supposed to be lighter than a full fiberglass one from Getty (no idea what the fiberglass version weighs) ?
I think by the time you include the 3rd brake light, harness, and shipping the cost must be similar.
Getty ducktail is fine and I was told it weighs around 10 lbs. The main reason I'm not choosing Getty is cosmetic. The backside of fiberglass parts is really ugly to me. Uneven yellow resin with fibers stirred in. And you will see that through the intake grills from the outside. That's why people will paint the inside of the fiberglass ducktails black to hide that.
For real carbon fiber parts you will see carbon weaves instead. No painting needed.

Here's a fiberglass ducktail for reference, note that this isn't actually a Getty unit. But most fiberglass ducktail look about the same on the backside.

Old 09-15-2024, 11:10 AM
9elvn
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by TradeOx
Hi all,

I've been going back and forth on purchasing a ducktail for my 997.1 c4s for a while now and landed on a RPM technik carbon fiber ducktail. After seeing the CSR 997 videos and seeing how they were made, I thought they would be the best choice. I also had plans of doing a special paint scheme on the ducktail having parts of the carbon exposed and the rest paint to match the car. RPM technik gives you the option of them prepping and clear coating the ducktail or having it unfinished if you were planning on paint it. Since I'm painting parts of it I opted for the unfinished option. I received the ducktail yesterday and while inspecting it, I noticed some markings that look like spider cracks or blemishes. I posted and looked to get some opinions on 2 porsche facebook groups but thought I'd see what the fine people of this forum thought. Some people are saying it is not normal and others who have made and dealt with carbon pieces from aircrafts says its normal and should go away during the prepping portion of the painting. I'm not a carbon fiber expert and have only dealt with finished and clear coated carbon parts but from what some people are saying, there's a process where they vacuum bag it and sometimes that process could leave marks after. I've reached out to RPM technik via email but haven't heard from them yet. So does anyone have experience with unpainted and prepped carbon fiber parts? Is this normal?
I had them on mine as well was told it was part of the gel cost once it was prepped and clear you couldn’t see any of it in the clear CF portions or the painted portions.
fittiment was an absolute pain to get right but I do like the end results and overall really happy with the purchase

Quick Reply: RPM Technik carbon fiber ducktail