Sponsored by:

997.1TT vs 997.2 C2S

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2023, 01:07 AM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 317 Posts
Default 997.1TT vs 997.2 C2S

Apples to apples - how would I compare the experience of having either of these cars?

For the record, I have a 997.2 C2S that has every super desirable addition (aerokit, manual, carbon buckets, full leather, pasm, etc.) after 6 years of fiddling and driving.

Debating whether moving into a 997TT would be an upgrade or not enough to justify the leap to restart the 997 experience. Would I miss the sound in exchange for turbo whooshes? The less refined look of the Turbo vs. clean lines of a NB car?

Curious on thoughts from those that have driven both. Not looking for armchair experts.
Old 01-27-2023, 09:39 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

If you like speed and power, it's going to be hard to walk away from the turbo once you drive it. I started my 997 search looking for a turbo and drive a couple. Was ready to buy one when I found my RUF R-Kompressor and never looked back. Liked the unique bodywork, having a 997 that didn't look like any others I had seen, and with turbo like power and torque, but in the RWD instead of AWD platform, then made it even better over the years with suspension and other performance upgrades.

You're going to miss the steering feel you have today once you go to the AWD platform, but the turbo platform is so capable and effortless, it's hard not to love it and you'll be grinning from ear to ear and talking to yourself everyt time you go from cruising along in 6th to a 4th gear downshift and hammer it - you'll be going 125mph before you thought it was possible.

Downsides are that all maintenance things are more difficult and more time consuming as there's more stuff to remove and reinstall to get to what you need to - plugs and coil packs are no longer a 2 hour job. As you mentioned, the sound is different. Open the intake, put on an exhaust and it'll be fine - you'll get different sounds than you get today and will learn to appreciate them.

2009 6 speed is the combo to get with the Mezger engine but the .2 interior. If you didn't have PCCBs on your current car, find a turbo with them and use the Rennline stif kit to be able to swap to alternate Girodisc rotors and pads for your track days. Having the PCCBs for your street driving with zero dust, no rusting when you wash the car, rotors that last forever, and braking performance that actually improves instead of degrades the hotter they get is with the extra effort of swapping things around for the track days. Tracking with PCCBs will destroy them in short order and unless you're the unknown heir of Jeff Bezos, that's not a bill you want to cover.

If I had to replace my car, I'd either find a RUF air cooled or go '09 997 Turbo and do the RWD conversion.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 01-29-2023, 06:38 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Turbo . . . They are awesome and worth the price of admission.

Quick Reply: 997.1TT vs 997.2 C2S