Sponsored by:

997 - new details from Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2004, 11:55 AM
Blue S2
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997 - new details from Porsche

I went to the UK site and registered to read all the info..wow! This new 911 may not be that bad.

1. the CHRONOGRAPH ontop of the dash that everyone is doggin' is optional. It can be controlled remotely and can record laptimes and other nifty stuff which can be reviewed later. Thats a hot option. If you watched the videos on the site, Porsche showed it swinging up into action from a flat dash. It might be "hideable." Very cool if it is.

2. Active suspension! Just like the cayenne! You can move the sucker up and down from the dash! I think thats great! Its about time! You can also control damping, etc...

3. The steering wheel and shifter look different. They look better than the ones in the picture. Or maybe they showed the optional sport versions. The shifter looked awesome! It was basically the same shifter as a 944/968 but with an aluminum plate on the front.

4. Yes, there is an active steer ratio feature... but it appears Porsche has made it "Porsche Style." Im sure it will have plenty of steering feel and be unobtrusive. The website said at speed at lays off somewhat.

5. The guage cluster looks SOOOO much better - but they said something about the backlighting being white. ok, i HATE white backlighting...another request for werks1....

6. 34 mpg stated. As ive learned with Porsches, stated highway mileage is ALWAYS an understatement. So if Porsche is stating this thing at 34, i really want to take a roadtrip in it. Screw hybrids!

7. Cool new 5-spoke wheel! It looks like the 18" carrera 5 spoke, but combined with styling cues from the CGT wheels. Very cool looking i think. Im still mixed on those S wheels though...

8. The car looks like a 911, a real 911. The showed some good overhead shots, and it has the traditional shape again!

I think a light strip, and a traditional hood scoop would make this car perfect! The interior also looked really good in their live videos. Especially WITHOUT the navigation. Navigation system looks retarded, too many buttons. Very clean without it.

I really hope the put a C4S model out. That might sway me enough to talk to my local dealer...
Old 05-12-2004, 12:12 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh yeah, check out the site- they have some awesome videos up. Test drivers throwing the car around in snow and doing donuts and drifts on a skid pad and test track!

Notice Porsche always has very inspirational and upbeat music set perfectly to their videos? Ide love to spend a day with their marketing division and the creative people behind their publicly released material!
Old 05-12-2004, 01:14 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

I don't think active suspension means being able to adjust height by a button like the Cayenne. That is air suspension which would be great if there wasn't any weight to it. I am sure it weights over 300 lbs.

I think active suspension allows you to adjust the suspension stiffness.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:39 PM
leptitbelge
1st Gear

Can you give us a link? I can't find it on porsche.co.uk ...?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2004, 01:54 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

Oh wait, i was wrong! In the excitement i "overread."
The S model will offer Active suspension. It said lowered 10mm and i confused it with "range of adjustment" that was meant for stiffness.

Oh well. It would be an awesome feature though.

Go to www.porsche.co.uk and click in that middle link for the new 911. YOU MUST REGISTER. Once registered, login and it will offer you like 15 new sections to read through. Its pretty cool. A few videos and such too.
Old 05-12-2004, 02:05 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

ok, give me about 10 minutes and i will have something very cool posted...
Old 05-12-2004, 02:46 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 997 - new details from Porsche

Originally posted by Blue S2 If you watched the videos on the site, Porsche showed it swinging up into action from a flat dash. It might be "hideable." Very cool if it is.[/B]
unfortunately its not, the video of it swinging up and down is of one of those pre-production clay models, if you look at the final production model interior pic, there is no rotating platform anymore
Old 05-12-2004, 04:02 PM
Blue S2
Race Car

oh well! fun stuff anyways. You know what though...its kinda growing on me seeing it there...
Old 05-12-2004, 04:10 PM
destaccado
Rennlist Member

Received 414 Likes on 258 Posts

thankfully it doesn't have to be ordered in the first place....I for one will not be getting that option.....I also won't be ordering a 997 unless I get clarification that this isn't the 996 engine with rms all over again. It looks like the non s is the same engine and the "s" is a lil bigger at 3.8L.....either way I'm guessing the "s" is the same basic M96 engine that's been in the boxster since 97 with bigger displacement so RMS will still be an issue. That's too bad....
Old 05-12-2004, 04:32 PM
Carlos from Spain
Burning Brakes

You are not the only one, waiting to se if the 997 gets RMS leaks also before ordering, since it carries the same engine over from the 996 carreras. I got an RMS leak after my warranty expired and Porsche didn't cover it, luckily it didn't need a new engine.
Old 05-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Doug&Julie
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: 997 - new details from Porsche

Originally posted by Blue S2
6. 34 mpg stated. As ive learned with Porsches, stated highway mileage is ALWAYS an understatement. So if Porsche is stating this thing at 34, i really want to take a roadtrip in it. Screw hybrids!
FYI British gallons are different than US gallons. Although the US site also states the highway mileage at 34, although I don't remember it saying MPG but something else?

That said, I'm sure it's still quite an effecient engine!

Quick Reply: 997 - new details from Porsche