Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PPI on 997.1 for bore scoring: is it a 18/20 value on cylinder 6 ok?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2023, 01:58 PM
Ericson38
Burning Brakes

Received 364 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by Andre_Sant
Thanks

I spoke to my private seller today and told him:
I'll pay you 500 euro extra for the trouble (550$), but I want to have another indy do the bore scope inspection, at my expense.
(so I will pay the bore scope inspection + I will give 500 euro to the seller)

he was annoyed by my attitude because we had already taken the car to porsche and had them do all the checks they suggested we do and we had wasted a lot of time on them

he told me that he was tired and that if I wanted to do more checks and waste more time then he wanted, 2500 euros more (like 2800 usd more), which seemed excessive to me.

What do you think?
In general I know that when a seller doesn't want to do checks it's always a bad sign, on the other hand I also understand that i made him lose a lot of time already and that at the time of the first check he was available anyway.

It should also be mentioned that at the first check, porsche had found no oil leaks on the spark plugs (although they didn't unscrew them, they just looked at them for the 111 checks).
Andre,

What that dealer is going to do when another customer inquires about the car (and when you find another car) is mention that it has already passed a Porsche dealer inspection (that you paid for !). Don't feel sorry for that dealer in any way. You provided him free information, whether was positive or negative in nature, about his vehicle.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Thanks
I'll pay you 500 euro extra for the trouble (550$), but I want to have another indy do the bore scope inspection, at my expense.
he was annoyed by my attitude because we had already taken the car to porsche and had them do all the checks they suggested we do and we had wasted a lot of time on them
he told me that he was tired and that if I wanted to do more checks and waste more time then he wanted, 2500 euros more (like 2800 usd more), which seemed excessive to me.
What do you think?
In general I know that when a seller doesn't want to do checks it's always a bad sign, on the other hand I also understand that i made him lose a lot of time already and that at the time of the first check he was available anyway.
It should also be mentioned that at the first check, porsche had found no oil leaks on the spark plugs (although they didn't unscrew them, they just looked at them for the 111 checks).
I think you should tell the seller to go Fvck himself for wasting YOUR TIME and find another 997.
Old 01-17-2023, 02:01 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Copy post - Delete
The following users liked this post:
Andre_Sant (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 02:22 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts

Thanks

What do you think?

There may be another perspective.... I was selling a very high-end set of expensive stereo speakers... the buyer was knowledgeable of the brand and model... we spoke often... then he came to my home to listen... then we spoke often.... then he asked me about an issue I never heard of: apparently the 3M glue used on some units would delaminate in high humidity conditions... the speakers played fine as far as I knew (just fantastic).... we spoke often... he finally bailed on me. In short, I should have politely told him to shove off as I wasted time and put off other inquiries that cost me money... I was patient with another enthusiast, just being courteous. There is a real issue of being too picky and unsure.

You kept raising the bar on him after you had an approach to make a decision.

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 01-17-2023 at 02:27 PM.
Andre_Sant (01-18-2023)
Old 01-17-2023, 04:39 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 471 Likes on 300 Posts

Understand your want for diligence re BS, but if I were selling I know I would be annoyed if asked to have yet another PPI. Lesson learned for the next car / PPI if you don't go with this one. $2,500 is excessive and what happens if it comes back a bad report and you walk - you still owe him?
Old 01-18-2023, 04:22 AM
Andre_Sant
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Sporty
Understand your want for diligence re BS, but if I were selling I know I would be annoyed if asked to have yet another PPI. Lesson learned for the next car / PPI if you don't go with this one. $2,500 is excessive and what happens if it comes back a bad report and you walk - you still owe him?

the private seller told me:
if you want the car and you pay before than friday, you can have it for 55.000 euro (60.000 USD) - (porsche targa 4s 997.1 MANUAL 2007 84.000 miles)
If you want after a second check in porsche you have to pay 57500 euro. Of course if the bore score inspection will fail, I have to pay the bore scope inspection, but nothing else.

it may be that the seller got tired of doing a second inspection, at the same time spending an extra EUR 2500 to take the car in for an inspection (at my expense) seems excessive, when I had gone so far as to compensate the seller by paying him an extra EUR 500.

My fear is that the seller knows that there is still a residual risk that the inspection may not go well and therefore wants to be remunerated more in the event that he also assumes this risk

Meanwhile I also found another car, porsche 997.1 targa 4, 2007 sport version, but NOT 4s, with only 46600 miles, MANUAL, for 62,000 eur (it is 7000 eur more, but it is a low mileage car) in very good conditions.
In this case the seller told me that we can do the bore scope inspection without any problem

Old 01-18-2023, 10:17 AM
bls72bmw
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize the thread has concluded as far at the OP is concerned, but as for random thoughts;

Cyl #6 is EASY to do on it's own as far as getting a bore scope of just that cylinder or an actual leak down # for just that cylinder (though a good leakdown willl have a comparison of all cylinders to have true comparisons)

What about pulling off the oil filter alone (not an oil change) and cutting it open with a hacksaw to see if there are any metal flakes? I do that every change for peace of mind.

Isn't there a Blackstone Oil Analysis lab equivalent in Europe? You'd pay for the cost of a professional oil change on the car to be PPI'd, and send the oil out. Here the oil results are ideally checked against the previous results- but Blackstone will give you a 'normal range' for particles found.
Old 01-18-2023, 10:25 AM
Andre_Sant
Intermediate

Today I tried to talk to the seller again, but he doesn't want to hear about it and doesn't want to do any further checks.
In the end I made the painful decision to give up.
Yes, in Italy there have been fewer cases of bore scoring, but they are still present. personally, I didn't feel like taking the risk without being able to do a check-up after the things you have told me and after I had done further research from other sources.

___

I didn't understand when you tell me:
Cyl #6 is EASY to do on it's own as far as getting a bore scope of just that cylinder or an actual leak down # for just that cylinder (though a good leakdown willl have a comparison of all cylinders to have true comparisons)
>> if I'm correct the leak down doesn't give any real information for bore scoring (I understood it after the test, I understood it from the forum and after that I saw a lot of youtube videos), so how can you do a comparison between the other cylinders?
____

checks on oil filter + oil: you can do it, but if you have metal in the oil it is very late, usually, from my understing, you will see also other problems (like smoke, metallic sound, pipes and so on)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:36 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

Don't worry. There is another wonderful car out there waiting for you to find it.
Andre_Sant (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 10:59 AM
BRN9121
Rennlist Member

Received 286 Likes on 100 Posts

Hi
Do the non S engines suffer from this, too? The 3.6 ones on a 2007 model?
Old 01-18-2023, 11:01 AM
Andre_Sant
Intermediate

Originally Posted by BRN9121
Hi
Do the non S engines suffer from this, too? The 3.6 ones on a 2007 model?
Yes, but less than the S.

I read that the dimension (width) on the 3.8 S is different, and so the S can have more problems for this reason
Old 01-18-2023, 01:59 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Yes, but less than the S.
I read that the dimension (width) on the 3.8 S is different, and so the S can have more problems for this reason
Yes non S engine isn't as prone to Bore Scoring however still smart to get a full PPI and Bore Scope inspection for you own peace of mind.

**I have owned 3 997 C4S, 2 997S S and 2 997 C4 non-s. There is hardly any difference between the S having slightly more HP and S having larger brakes than the Non-the non-S
I prefer my current Non-S C4 - I also like/prefer the back gauges like early 911's. Hate the white S gauges.
Nice looking Targa and best color!!

Good luck

Last edited by groovzilla; 01-18-2023 at 07:07 PM.
Andre_Sant (01-18-2023)
Old 01-18-2023, 02:14 PM
Andre_Sant
Intermediate

thank you very much

can i ask you how come you have had so many similar cars?

in relation to the brakes, is it true that the NON S cars, but with the sports package, had an increased brake system anyway?

Thank you
Old 01-18-2023, 06:49 PM
ATX_Native
Rennlist Member

Received 776 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
I also like/prefer the back gauges like early 911's. Hate the white S gauges.
Same, I also prefer the black gauges in the non-S.
Old 01-18-2023, 07:18 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

thank you very much
can i ask you how come you have had so many similar cars?
in relation to the brakes, is it true that the NON S cars, but with the sports package, had an increased brake system anyway?
Thank you
I've owned over 70 Porsche cars. JUst fun and I've enjoyed them.
When I was working as a Fashion Photographer before I retired, my photo studio was in San Francisco from 1987 - 2006
I live in Seattle and flew down to SF every week and also would fly to Los Angeles. Bought lots of Porsches and drove them home to Seattle for fun. Kept some for years and sold some after 2 months.
Over the past 9 years I bought and sold many 997's to try different models and at that time there were many manual transmission 997 C4S,S and non-S on the market.
My 2006 997 C4 is my favorite of them all. Has full leather, Fister exhaust and lowered with H&R Springs - Also has short shift kit. I've owned it for 2 years and did many PPI/Bore Scope Inspections on 997's over the years.

Enjoy the hunt!
​​​​​​​
Andre_Sant (01-19-2023)

Quick Reply: PPI on 997.1 for bore scoring: is it a 18/20 value on cylinder 6 ok?