Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 seat swap question - Power Comfort seats to 18 way Adaptive Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 03:27 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 997.2 seat swap question - Power Comfort seats to 18 way Adaptive Sport Seats

Apologies if this has been covered on other threads. Did a search and went through 8 pages on the forum but couldn't find the exact answer.

Currently I have Power Comfort Seats with memory which are heated and ventilated in my 997.2. Really don't love the fit or feel, hurts my lower back after a short time. Was able to pick up a a set of 18 way heated Adaptive Sport Seats from a 997.2 Turbo S. From all the searching on this forum and others I believe the answer is that Power Seats need to be swapped with Power seats, so I believe I should be fine. I believe cars with Power seats can also be swapped with manual seats but not the other way around. Also understand that 997.2 should pair well with other 997.2 seats vs. trying to retrofit with 997.1 seats.

Wanted to see if anyone has had any past experience swapping power seats with power seats in a 997.2, Any issues or things that need to be done? Do I need to disable the ventilated option somehow (either with PIWIS or Foxwell NT530)? Should I expect an easy plug and play?

Thank you in advance!
Old 11-16-2022, 05:10 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 669 Likes on 317 Posts

should work plug and play, at least it did for me going from full power /memory / heat comfort to ***
The following users liked this post:
JT77 (11-16-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 12:13 AM
Sgnitsah
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Funny timing. I’m currently doing the same swap except the sport seats I picked up are from a GT3 that apparently didn’t have the memory function. There are two plugs on the body harness for the driver seat; the typical yellow seat plug and a smaller black plug. The sport seats only have a receptacle for the yellow plug. I tried just plugging that in and it doesn’t work. Main power goes to the smaller black plug. I’m assuming the module the black plug connects to controls the memory function. I came across this thread while searching to see if anyone has written about this. I’m sure I’ll need to move power and ground from the memory plug to the yellow plug, just not sure which is which and if there’s anything else I’m missing.

The passenger seat harness has a second plug aside from the yellow plug as well, but it’s different than the smaller black plug on the driver side. The passenger sport seat doesn’t have a receptacle for that either. Thinking it could be for the ventilating function. I connected the yellow plug to the passenger seat receptacle and everything is functioning properly.
Old 11-17-2022, 05:36 AM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

Received 157 Likes on 83 Posts

Count me in. I am about to swap in some GT3 seats as well. I found this photo of the seat plug with notes on the pins. Looks like power is on pin 6 and 4. Hope it helps.

I guess I’ll run into the same issue as you on the driver’s seat since my car has memory seat functions.

Originally Posted by Sgnitsah
Funny timing. I’m currently doing the same swap except the sport seats I picked up are from a GT3 that apparently didn’t have the memory function. There are two plugs on the body harness for the driver seat; the typical yellow seat plug and a smaller black plug. The sport seats only have a receptacle for the yellow plug. I tried just plugging that in and it doesn’t work. Main power goes to the smaller black plug. I’m assuming the module the black plug connects to controls the memory function. I came across this thread while searching to see if anyone has written about this. I’m sure I’ll need to move power and ground from the memory plug to the yellow plug, just not sure which is which and if there’s anything else I’m missing.

The passenger seat harness has a second plug aside from the yellow plug as well, but it’s different than the smaller black plug on the driver side. The passenger sport seat doesn’t have a receptacle for that either. Thinking it could be for the ventilating function. I connected the yellow plug to the passenger seat receptacle and everything is functioning properly.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:11 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

JT77, you should be good as long as the new seats came from a seat memory car. The controls for the driver's seat all go through that extra memory module box.

Fataix, as you've figured out, your problem is the donor vehicle didn't have memory seats. Can't tell you how to resolve that one other than to get wiring diagrams and see if maybe you can figure out where all the motors get their power and ground from that memory module then take all the plus wires form there to a common wire that they you then tie into the main plug like in the labelled drawing and donthe same for all the grounds if they don't already share a common ground.

Last edited by Petza914; 11-17-2022 at 09:15 AM.
Old 11-17-2022, 09:11 PM
Sgnitsah
Instructor

I fixed it today. It’s easy and the non-memory driver seat is fully functional.

My apologies in advance as I’m not the best at write-ups but feel free to reach out if you have questions.

When I looked at the plugs from the body harness, I saw that the yellow plug had main ground but not main power. I moved the main power wire over from the black memory plug to the yellow plug and that’s all it took! No cutting wires, crimping connectors, nothing like that. I recommend having a set of picks to remove the plugs from their sleeves and to remove the power wire from the memory plug.

Main power (thick red) on the memory plug

Main yellow plug with no power

Main yellow plug with power moved over from memory plug
The following users liked this post:
JT77 (11-17-2022)
Old 11-17-2022, 10:37 PM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

It’s great that moving the power wire from the memory plug worked out for you.

I was at the upholstery shop trying the seats today. The original passenger seat have an additional socket for the weight sensors plug (red square) that is missing on my 991 GT3 seat. When I connected the GT3 seat without the red plug, I am getting an error (AMS error). Does your new seat come with the weight sensors? Looks like I’ll be losing the memory function and the weight sensors.

This is what the harness loom look like on the driver’s side.

The 18 ways feel so much better than the comforts. I will be rewrapping them in red leather soon.

My apologies in advance as I’m not the best at write-ups but feel free to reach out if you have questions.

When I looked at the plugs from the body harness, I saw that the yellow plug had main ground but not main power. I moved the main power wire over from the black memory plug to the yellow plug and that’s all it took! No cutting wires, crimping connectors, nothing like that. I recommend having a set of picks to remove the plugs from their sleeves and to remove the power wire from the memory plug.

Old 11-17-2022, 11:07 PM
Sgnitsah
Instructor

How does the AMS error present?
Yes, I have the exact same plugs as you. Passenger air bag turns off like normal after starting the car. I haven’t had anyone sit in the seat yet to see if it changes. My seats came out of a 997.2 GT3 and seems odd that it wouldn’t have the same occupancy sensor.
Old 11-18-2022, 01:28 AM
Fatsix
Rennlist Member

We were just test plugging them in without bolting the seats in and I just started the car a few times. The airbag light came on in the instrument cluster. The guys at the shop pulled the code and 2 codes with AMS in the name came up. As soon as I put the original seats back in the light turned off.

So your passenger seat had a socket for the red plug?

How does the AMS error present?
Yes, I have the exact same plugs as you. Passenger air bag turns off like normal after starting the car. I haven’t had anyone sit in the seat yet to see if it changes. My seats came out of a 997.2 GT3 and seems odd that it wouldn’t have the same occupancy sensor.
Old 11-18-2022, 08:41 AM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fatsix
We were just test plugging them in without bolting the seats in and I just started the car a few times. The airbag light came on in the instrument cluster. The guys at the shop pulled the code and 2 codes with AMS in the name came up. As soon as I put the original seats back in the light turned off.

So your passenger seat had a socket for the red plug?
Looks like you're swapping 997 seats for 991 seats. Not sure I've seen this done before where the electronics work. Interested if you find a solution as I'm sure most would benefit if you figure this out. Best of luck.

Last edited by JT77; 11-18-2022 at 09:54 AM.
Old 12-22-2022, 01:06 PM
Al997
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the memory function work or that doesn't work?
Old 01-03-2023, 09:32 PM
allthekingsmen
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Hello! I'm thinking about replacing the 12-way heated/ventilated memory seats in my 997.2 TTS with 18-way non-memory adaptive sport seats sourced from a 997.1 GT3. So, I guess I would have to do the same thing you did, move the power over to the main connector. I was just wondering if you have had any issues with this mod since you did it, and whether you had any insight on whether it matters that the donor car is a .1 while mine is a .2. Any guidance you (or anyone else on here) can provide would be greatly appreciated! Happy New Year to everyone!

Old 01-04-2023, 01:09 AM
vokain
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by JT77
Apologies if this has been covered on other threads. Did a search and went through 8 pages on the forum but couldn't find the exact answer.

Currently I have Power Comfort Seats with memory which are heated and ventilated in my 997.2. Really don't love the fit or feel, hurts my lower back after a short time. Was able to pick up a a set of 18 way heated Adaptive Sport Seats from a 997.2 Turbo S. From all the searching on this forum and others I believe the answer is that Power Seats need to be swapped with Power seats, so I believe I should be fine. I believe cars with Power seats can also be swapped with manual seats but not the other way around. Also understand that 997.2 should pair well with other 997.2 seats vs. trying to retrofit with 997.1 seats.

Wanted to see if anyone has had any past experience swapping power seats with power seats in a 997.2, Any issues or things that need to be done? Do I need to disable the ventilated option somehow (either with PIWIS or Foxwell NT530)? Should I expect an easy plug and play?

Thank you in advance!
what color seats do you have?
Old 01-04-2023, 03:19 PM
JT77
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by vokain
what color seats do you have?
Black
Old 02-15-2023, 07:48 PM
Goose 993
Rennlist Member

Received 252 Likes on 160 Posts

I just swapped base comfort seats to GT3 Adaptive sport seats and the AWS sensor was not there. I disabled AWS with the foxwell. If I swap the sensor over, would I be able to plug it in and re-enable AWS?

Quick Reply: 997.2 seat swap question - Power Comfort seats to 18 way Adaptive Sport Seats