Sponsored by:

Homelink intermittent

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2022, 10:38 AM
gsxrpilot
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Homelink intermittent

2007 997.1 C4S Cab here. Originally I thought the Homelink didn't work at all and needed the "Handover" procedure done. But then one day randomly hitting one of the buttons, I saw the light come on. It seemed to work sometimes and not other times. Coming home from a bit of time out running around in the car, I noticed the Homelink button lit up when I pushed it. So without turning off the car, I pulled into the garage and went through the programing process. It all worked fine and runs the garage door up and down like it's supposed to. But like before, the buttons only work some of the time.

As I pull into the driveway, I'll push the button and sometimes it lights up and the door opens, other times there is no light and of course, no open door.
  • All buttons are affected the same. Pushing any button lights up the little amber light, or none of the buttons light it up. If it lights, the door works, if no light, no door. So it's pretty easy to know if it's working or not.
  • Obviously only one of the buttons, #3, is programed to the door, and its the only one that opens the door. But any button will turn on the little light when pushed... when it works.
  • There is an aftermarket Pioneer head unit installed in the car, and the wiring behind the head unit is a mess. I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.
  • No heated seats. I know those are on the same circuit, but without the heated seats, no checking there.
  • No codes.
Chasing electrical gremlins are the worst... but wondering if anyone else has had and solved this problem.

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-03-2022, 11:28 AM
dmpslc
Racer

Received 287 Likes on 148 Posts

Do you happen to have an auto dimming mirror? If you do, is that also intermittently powered? I've ignored that both my mirror and homelink don't have power (but my heated seats are fine...), but was just talking about it last night! Someone once suggested it could be a faulty or failing homelink module located behind the front bumper.
The following users liked this post:
gsxrpilot (11-03-2022)
Old 11-03-2022, 12:33 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I am wondering if this may be a loose connection on the homelink switches? I know it is a fairly common place to tap off 12v power for a radar detector or dash cam. I could see if someone was up there and took the connector off maybe it just didn't get seated back properly? Its a simple thing to check and rule out.
The following users liked this post:
gsxrpilot (11-03-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 06:23 PM
gsxrpilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by eaks
I am wondering if this may be a loose connection on the homelink switches? I know it is a fairly common place to tap off 12v power for a radar detector or dash cam. I could see if someone was up there and took the connector off maybe it just didn't get seated back properly? Its a simple thing to check and rule out.
I worked on this a bit today. But since this is a Cab, I'm not sure how to open up the console. It's pretty solid and accepts the hook from the roof. I've looked but haven't found any instructions online of how to take the console apart.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:01 PM
eaks
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxrpilot
I worked on this a bit today. But since this is a Cab, I'm not sure how to open up the console. It's pretty solid and accepts the hook from the roof. I've looked but haven't found any instructions online of how to take the console apart.
Completely missed that you are a cab. I cant help in that case I was just thinking with my coupe that I took power from there for my radar detector and could see someone doing that and not properly seating the connector back in after. I was thinking about my coupe and am not even sure what the cab one looks like.
Old 11-10-2022, 11:33 AM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

Cab owner here... I bet it's highly common people tap the wiring loom for the dome lights and Homelink since it's so easy to access. Easy enough to see if something is cut, disconnected or otherwise compromised.

BTW, the Homelink on my cab is also pretty spooky. I gave up on it for being unpredictable.
Old 11-11-2022, 01:16 PM
gsxrpilot
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Hootsama
Cab owner here... I bet it's highly common people tap the wiring loom for the dome lights and Homelink since it's so easy to access. Easy enough to see if something is cut, disconnected or otherwise compromised.

BTW, the Homelink on my cab is also pretty spooky. I gave up on it for being unpredictable.
How would you get into the wiring of the dome light? Would you just remove the clear lens covering the lights? Because of the hook from the roof, the entire piece seems to be very solidly attached.
Old 11-11-2022, 04:41 PM
Hootsama
Rennlist Member

Received 346 Likes on 249 Posts

Yep, the light assembly actually pops out of the surrounding (black) cluster which holds the HL buttons. Once the lights are out of the way, easy access to the harness. On my car I found that a PO ran power from the fusebox, up the a-pillar and across the driver side of the cowl and ultimately down the rearview way to power a radar detector. Sooo much easier to tap the switched line in the dome.

Quick Reply: Homelink intermittent