Old 10-28-2022, 11:41 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,653 Likes on 986 Posts
Default Porsche vs Lexus Rims & Winter Tires in Summer

2009 C2S 184K miles

Some ruminations... comments?

My Porsche rims in my cars since 2000 have been fabulous for holding air. The gripe I had with them is my 19" rims would go out of round but I blame the potholes around Philly and those stupid, greasy-kid-stuff, low-profile tires (yes, Porsche succumbed to installing big silicon globes for sales). But, the Porsche rims always held air and held up well overall. Even in salty conditions in Philly, year after year after year, they just hold up.

Now my wife's Lexus (c'mon, it is a Toyota) rims seep air... They really just spit air from the tire-rim interface. I have eight rims, 4 with winter Michelin Alpins, and all eight are crap. She comes in about once a week, sometimes more "The tire light is on!". I overfill all the tires by about 5 lbs to get ahead of the leaks. The big tire shops have told me over and over that Toyota uses crap metal and it corrodes. Nothing they can do but re-finish the wheels.

So 1... now in Atlanta, I was not going to throw these good Michelin Alpins away... using the "wisdom of the net", I figured I would just burn them up. Everyone notes that in warm/hot weather, winter tires disintegrate away. Guess what... NOT. After two full summers and two years of constant usage here in Atlanta, I still have great tread on these things. Back in Philly, I had Bridgestone Blizzaks on my Boxster for a few winters.... mushy and noisy... I got tired of this and decided to leave them on in the spring... turned into summer... swapped to summers, next year did the same... guess what? They would not die!!!!

So 2.... Winter tires wearing excessivly in the summer is simply not true. It ain't so sez my experience with two different makes.

So 3 .... Because of the leaking, crappy Toyota rims... I am currently having a set re-furbished to stop the leaking and then throwing away perfectly good Michelin Alpins along with four crappy rims.

Anywho....

Peace
Bruce in Philly (now Atlanta)

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 10-28-2022 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:12 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 393 Likes on 257 Posts

My add ones are my bmw in Philly needed wheel straightening after nearly every season. Even with swapping full sets of wheels and tires for summer and winter. Philly potholes are horrific.

Out here on the west coast haven’t ran into that with the 911. Have hit some good size potholes and definitely run them through the mountains and bad weather.

Seems like my 997 wheels are more tolerant but who knows.

Quick Reply: Porsche vs Lexus Rims & Winter Tires in Summer