Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Rack sent me “new tires” date stamp 0621 (Feb 2021)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2022, 07:21 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

I never even looked at the date code on my new tires until seeing this thread. I only look for it on the tire when it’s been on my car for a few years just to make sure they are not aged out. I just looked at the new front set of Bridgestones I got at my Porsche dealer back in 2019, and the tires are from 2017. The new rears I just put on this year (from TireRack) were from 2020, so both Porsche and TireRack sold me 2 year old tires! LOL.

I honestly don’t care cause the tires are just fine and I put on about 5K miles or more a year on the car (it’s a weekend only car), and at that rate, the tires will need to be replaced prior to the 8-yr mark I usually keep em to anyway.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 09-30-2022 at 07:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carreralicious:
aordonio (09-30-2022), myw (10-02-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:05 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
So all tires on all cars sitting outside (most of them) cannot be safe with tires 13 months old? Where did you get off on the "old tire train?"
Shorthand cause i was on my phone. A tire sitting outside on a car will develop age related degredation, which wouldnt be the case in a proper warehouse. I was not implying a one year old tire, used or otherwise was bad
Old 09-30-2022, 11:09 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by aordonio
thats a great solution- tire rack wouldn’t entertain any concessions - they pretty much said - these are new to us, new to you, regardless of dot - full price no exceptions - lesson learned - ask for dots ahead.

again - I don’t drive my cars much so time (dot) is important - at the 5-6 year mark - the compound gets harder -my service techs call that out when we get to that mark - - also SAFETY - I like to drive my car the way it’s meant to be driven - so dot is used as end of life (for me) as well as passing the track inspection.

lastly - I wanted to see and educate others - if other folks are in the same situation as me - ie this is a rec car and tire age is important - they can ask for DOT when they order so they can determine ahead of time.
You mention track use but arent wearing out tires within 5 years? Are you doing parade laps out there or do you only go once a year for 2 days?
Old 09-30-2022, 11:30 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

The Tire Rack of 2022 in NOT the same Tire Rack of 2010 or 2000. They are absolutely no bargain and their customer service (which should be better than the local tire shop) is sketchy at best. I’m thinking that if you own a 911 saving $50+ should not really be a big deal compared to the potential hassle that you might face with Tire Rack. I mean, they may offer you a great deal right up to the point that they don’t. They were a disruptor in the tire biz once. Now they are just another corporate entity that says, “Take what I give you and be happy.” It’s sad but not unexpected.
The following users liked this post:
aordonio (09-30-2022)
Old 09-30-2022, 11:32 PM
aordonio
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
You mention track use but arent wearing out tires within 5 years? Are you doing parade laps out there or do you only go once a year for 2 days?
the latter, I have a few other cars E39, E92, Z and the Audi A5 that I take out to the track as well so the 911 gets 1-2 at most a year. Hence why I prefer the tire I buy to have a fresher dot. For all my cars, I got my tires from tire rack (dots were within a year) and mounted at a local tire shop that has a machine that won’t damage the wheels. Not snobby - just careful as I don’t want my forgelines or even oems damaged.

this is resolved by the way - the dealer + plenty of local tire shops as (Floyd540 suggested) confirmed they can get me a fresher set - they said all the tires they provide have a dot within a year so I’m laughing as folks tell me that I’m being “unreasonable”. My requirements are diff - to each their own.

i appreciate folks sharing their experiences - hope I helped one person who may be in a similar situation with being particular about DOT.🤓

Imola Red E39 I picked up from bat

Last edited by aordonio; 10-01-2022 at 12:43 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 12:50 AM
aordonio
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
The Tire Rack of 2022 in NOT the same Tire Rack of 2010 or 2000. They are absolutely no bargain and their customer service (which should be better than the local tire shop) is sketchy at best. I’m thinking that if you own a 911 saving $50+ should not really be a big deal compared to the potential hassle that you might face with Tire Rack. I mean, they may offer you a great deal right up to the point that they don’t. They were a disruptor in the tire biz once. Now they are just another corporate entity that says, “Take what I give you and be happy.” It’s sad but not unexpected.
good point - making relationships with local spots and supporting local businesses is a good idea - there was no benefit from ordering from tire rack as the local spots have the same pricing - another good lesson out of this 😎
Old 10-01-2022, 12:03 PM
RABjr
Instructor

Received 98 Likes on 58 Posts

Wheels on that black Audi look great!
Old 01-21-2023, 11:24 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 48 Posts

Still in the middle of sorting this out, but thought I'd update the thread.

I bought a set of 4 Bridgestones for my 997 GTS. Was assured by Tire Rack customer service that I would get fresh DOT codes after explaining that I replace tires based on age with this car and wanted as much of the 6 year life as possible.

They sent 1 tire that was over 2 years old and 2 that were over 18 months old. I called customer service again. Since the tires are already delivered, they offered a free return. Frustrating to say the least...
Old 01-21-2023, 11:41 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,761 Likes on 4,302 Posts

I think covid greatly reduced the total miles travelled of a lot of people as Teams and Zoom meetings became the norm and some of that just hasn't gone away, so I'm guessing there is quite a lot of tire inventory around from when demand dropped off and production didn't shut down as quickly as demand did. I don't think production has fully ramped back up yet because of what's shown in inventory, so unfortunately, it may be another year or so before tire date codes are back to winin a few months old when we receive them.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:20 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Agreed. I told them I'd keep them at a discounted price, but they said they'll send me a new set from late 2022 if I return the first set. Makes no sense that they didn't do it the first time. I guess it's a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.
Old 01-21-2023, 12:44 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by GTSence
Agreed. I told them I'd keep them at a discounted price, but they said they'll send me a new set from late 2022 if I return the first set. Makes no sense that they didn't do it the first time. I guess it's a case of the right hand not knowing what the left is doing.
Makes perfect sense if you’re the guy in the warehouse managing inventory. Probably didn’t read the order notes (if they actually put something on your order specifying new tires at all) and wants to get rid of the older inventory from stagnant COVID sales. Like you said, left hand/right hand.
Old 01-21-2023, 03:26 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 177 Likes on 120 Posts

The “right” approach is to discount due to the age. They get to unload inventory, buyer doesn’t get shortchanged in expected life of tire vs price paid.

Avoids losing long term customers, additional logistics costs (inbound receiving of the returns) and customer service costs.

Last edited by SpeedyD; 01-21-2023 at 03:27 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by SpeedyD:
jamesinger (01-22-2023), Liste-Renn (01-21-2023), sabotaged (01-22-2023), TerrestrialFlyte (01-21-2023)
Old 01-21-2023, 11:26 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

It looks like you bought my old CS cab, did you happen to buy it from Neil in Livermore (I sold it to him)?
Originally Posted by aordonio

Old 01-22-2023, 11:40 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

That is a seriously organized garage, Aerodino, nice.
Old 01-27-2023, 07:49 AM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTSence
Update: what a fiasco! The tires were delivered 5 days late, there's no way to confirm that I would get newer codes if I return the first shipment or if they would be delivered in time for the service date, and customer service agreed to discount the first set, but then hasn't responded with confirmation or an actual discount.

I need tires for another car. Any suggestions for a supplier besides Tire Rack?

Quick Reply: Tire Rack sent me “new tires” date stamp 0621 (Feb 2021)