Sponsored by:

Upgrade priorities

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 11:39 PM
Ronnie G
Track Day

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Upgrade priorities

Hey guys! Long time listener, first time caller. I have a 2006 997.1 coupe and I’m having the time of my life. This is the first “fun” car I’ve ever owned, and I am positive that I’m now spoiled.

As with everything else in my life, I want to mod it and make it better. I’ve learned a ton from reading here and I look forward to learning more!

So I’m thinking of several upgrades:

New tires: current ones are Hankooks and rears are juuuussstt about to the wear bars. $1750 for 4 new Michelin PS4s

exhaust: current exhaust sounds too tame. Want something more aggressive. Cost unknown as there are so many options

front suspension needs rebuilding. Not super sloppy but the shop that did my PPI said it would make a great deal of difference if I installed some new components

shifter is rough between N-1-2–almost grabby if that makes sense. would like to fix that

i need Bluetooth and CarPlay on my head unit. Cost there is about $2k.

so, all that being said, how should I prioritize these? I think tires first is a no brainer. But after that? What order would you do and why? Tint removal and ceramic replacement already lined up for next week.

And here’s my car!!

The following 2 users liked this post by Ronnie G:
BHMav8r (09-03-2022), IrwinMFletcher (09-03-2022)
Old 09-02-2022, 11:52 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 367 Posts

I believe in and try to prioritize maintenance over mods. So change transmission fluid, refresh suspension, and replace tires first. Then go with the exhaust, infotainment, and aesthetics. My $0.02.
The following 5 users liked this post by TerrestrialFlyte:
BHMav8r (09-03-2022), Floyd540 (09-03-2022), jbkusa (09-03-2022), Petza914 (09-03-2022), Ripking (09-27-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 02:41 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 393 Likes on 257 Posts

MPS4 are great tires.

Exhaust I would look at fister or gundo hack. Loved my fisters.

Shifting: Try changing the fluid. Then I love my numeric shifter. Really improved the feel.
The following users liked this post:
Ripking (09-27-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 04:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Don't know how bad the front suspension is. How many miles on your car? I had a 2006 C4S until traded with around 45K miles on it. No suspension issues. Do you know if your car has any or a lot of track time?

Other than that, I had a Tubi exhaust on that car and it was killer. Almost stock quiet with just a deep angry growl and then just what you want once past 3,500 rpm. Not obnoxiously loud. Just right. Not the least expensive option out there but you pay for quality sound and weight. Much lighter than the stock mufflers.
Old 09-03-2022, 10:46 AM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Pro tip. Consider going to Costco to price those tires. I bought mine from there for just over $1300 a few years back.
8KaboveMSL (09-03-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 11:34 AM
Ronnie G
Track Day

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Don't know how bad the front suspension is. How many miles on your car? I had a 2006 C4S until traded with around 45K miles on it. No suspension issues. Do you know if your car has any or a lot of track time?

Other than that, I had a Tubi exhaust on that car and it was killer. Almost stock quiet with just a deep angry growl and then just what you want once past 3,500 rpm. Not obnoxiously loud. Just right. Not the least expensive option out there but you pay for quality sound and weight. Much lighter than the stock mufflers.
it doesn’t feel terrible to me at all, but having never driven a Porsche prior to owning this one, I don’t have a baseline. It corners great and doesn’t seem to roll a great deal. Very “sticky” coming through the apex and accelerating out. I don’t know about whether the car has been tracked, but I don’t think it has. I intend to change that. 😉

that exhaust you describe sounds like exactly what I want. I’ll have to check into that!

also, thank y’all for the tip on the trans fluid. Sounds like a pretty easy DIY job and a great way to bond with the 997!
Old 09-03-2022, 12:05 PM
Ronnie G
Track Day

Also, what gear oil do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about using the Mobil 1 75w90 as recommended on Pelican, because it's immediately available. But if it's better to hold out for OE fluid from Porsche, I don't mind doing that.
Old 09-03-2022, 12:10 PM
8KaboveMSL
Rennlist Member

Received 230 Likes on 180 Posts

On the BT/Car Play item:
  • consider the MR 12Volt/Rennline phone mount option - will be a lot cheaper, get you most of what you need w/o changing the interior look dramatically
  • If that doesn’t work for you and you go ahead and replace the head unit, keep the stock one - some prospective buyers prefer the stock look so no harm in keeping it around in case you decide to move on to another 911.
Old 09-03-2022, 04:49 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,825 Likes on 1,791 Posts

Beautiful car ! Just detailed ? Miles ?

There are lots of threads on the infamous 2nd gear shift.

Gear oil change has helped many. Also new motor mounts if they are sagging. Also possibly tranny mounts or FS? inserts.

The first two helped mine considerably. Going to install the tranny inserts next time its on a rack.

Welcome and enjoy !
Old 09-03-2022, 07:49 PM
TerrestrialFlyte
Rennlist Member

Received 656 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie G
Also, what gear oil do you guys recommend? I'm thinking about using the Mobil 1 75w90 as recommended on Pelican, because it's immediately available. But if it's better to hold out for OE fluid from Porsche, I don't mind doing that.
Get the OE Porsche trans fluid (PTX, I believe). 3 quarts/liters I believe is what you need. Supposed to help that 1st gear notchiness. I didn’t experience that so I can’t say. Plenty of DIYs, it’s pretty straight forward: undo fill port first, then drain port, drain, close drain port, fill until it starts to dribble out, close fill port, enjoy.
anewman (09-04-2022)
Old 09-03-2022, 08:34 PM
Khloesdad
Rennlist Member

Received 559 Likes on 394 Posts

Keep an eye out for an OEM PSE exhaust in the classifieds. They come up often and IMO the best sounding for the buck.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:57 AM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Pro tip. Consider going to Costco to price those tires. I bought mine from there for just over $1300 a few years back.
i second this… I bought a set back in Jan 2022 for $1420 out the door.
8KaboveMSL (09-04-2022)
Old 09-04-2022, 01:27 AM
Ronnie G
Track Day

Originally Posted by BHMav8r
Beautiful car ! Just detailed ? Miles ?

There are lots of threads on the infamous 2nd gear shift.

Gear oil change has helped many. Also new motor mounts if they are sagging. Also possibly tranny mounts or FS? inserts.

The first two helped mine considerably. Going to install the tranny inserts next time its on a rack.

Welcome and enjoy !
yes, had it completely detailed with wheels off when I bought it. Made a huge difference! Just clicked over 53k miles.

Replaced trans fluid with Valvoline synthetic tonight. Made a huge mess and took forever but I got it done. gonna drive it in the AM and see how it does!
Old 09-04-2022, 04:15 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie G
it doesn’t feel terrible to me at all, but having never driven a Porsche prior to owning this one, I don’t have a baseline. It corners great and doesn’t seem to roll a great deal. Very “sticky” coming through the apex and accelerating out. I don’t know about whether the car has been tracked, but I don’t think it has. I intend to change that. 😉

that exhaust you describe sounds like exactly what I want. I’ll have to check into that!

also, thank y’all for the tip on the trans fluid. Sounds like a pretty easy DIY job and a great way to bond with the 997!
Check the marketplace here on RL and Ebay. Every now and and then a used set of Tubi 997.1 mufflers come up for sale. A new set is $3,200 at Champion Porsche in Pompano Beach, FL: https://www.championmotorsport.com/p...bi-997s-ex.htm

May seem steep compared to taking your mufflers to a muffler shop and have a "Gundo Hack" done for around $200 or $300. Some swear by this solution while others say it sounds right in line what you paid for it compared to high end after market exhausts. In other words, some think the "hack" sounds just fine while others compare it to the sound of a fart can. Highly subjective obviously.

And in case you're not aware, the Tubi for the .2 cars is different. It's designed around the addition of the center muffler on the .2 cars so it comes with x-over pipes to replace the center muffler.

Old 09-04-2022, 11:32 AM
fuzebox
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
Check the marketplace here on RL and Ebay. Every now and and then a used set of Tubi 997.1 mufflers come up for sale.
I've got a pair for sale. Haven't got around to listing all my stuff yet but they're available

Quick Reply: Upgrade priorities