Sponsored by:

12 yr PDK service not changing pan+filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2022, 07:19 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Received 2,381 Likes on 1,248 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Researching this issue I started seeing posts saying that fluid change could be detrimental to the box - but if it's Porsche recommendation .... surely we should trust Porsche

I have decided not to buy the pan as the Boxster is a 2011 so a stripped plug will be quite unlikely. Thanks for all of the posts, keep them coming as someone else will have the very same question in the futuire.
Originally Posted by 1ricardo
My issue with changing to a new oil pan its not the possible stripping caused by the plug, but it's the fact that the FILTER for this PDK oil is built in in the pan
So, we are changing an oil that is inside this transmission for 12 -13 years and we will reuse the same 12-13 years old filter ? Porsche does not have a crystal ball to say that this old filter it is in good shape, not clogged, not dirty, etc... I don't know... seems odds to me
Prior to having this service done on my '09 C2S (about 28k miles on it at the time, but the car was in its 12th year so it was time), I devoted quite a bit of time researching the process - via this forum and others. Also - discussion with the local Porsche dealership and also a local independent shop. The issue of stripping out the threads (on the '09's in particular) was a concern, but in the end I followed my local Porsche dealer's advice which was to replace the fluid but not the pan. (They assured me that they would be able to do the job without stripping out the threads on the plug - and that turned out to be true.)

I read report after report about the trans filter always being found to be looking as-new / clean - so that reinforced the idea of keeping the pan and just replacing the fluid.

In summary - the Porsche dealer did the service; did not replace the pan; had no problem with retaining the integrity of the plug threads; and because it was just a fluid change - it saved me a fair amount of money.
I definitely would recommend changing the PDK clutch fluid (that's what this service is about), and I would also recommend having the PDK gear oil replaced as well.

My car ran great after the service. Zero issues.

Old 09-02-2022, 07:27 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 318touring
Researching this issue I started seeing posts saying that fluid change could be detrimental to the box - but if it's Porsche recommendation .... surely we should trust Porsche

I have decided not to buy the pan as the Boxster is a 2011 so a stripped plug will be quite unlikely. Thanks for all of the posts, keep them coming as someone else will have the very same question in the futuire.
If you're having second thoughts about trusting Porsche's / and a Porsche dealer's recommendation to replace the PDK clutch fluid, you may want to devote a few minutes to watching the video linked below. It's sponsored by the PCA. The information and advice being conveyed is via an independent shop that repairs PDK's.

Bottom line - replace that fluid!

Old 09-02-2022, 07:43 PM
Risk3233
Instructor

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

So I changed the pan and all fluids at the 60k, 6 year mark. Am I now correct in reading that my pan does not need to be changed at the 12 year mark, just my fluids in two years time?
Old 09-02-2022, 07:50 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Risk3233
So I changed the pan and all fluids at the 60k, 6 year mark. Am I now correct in reading that my pan does not need to be changed at the 12 year mark, just my fluids in two years time?
That would be correct. Pan / filter every 120K miles or 12 years. You'll be sure at 180K miles.
Old 09-02-2022, 07:51 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Risk3233
If it were me in this situation, I would have a conversation with my local Porsche dealership about it. My local Porsche dealership recommended that I not change the pan and that's the advice I followed. (If there were to be a problem afterwards, those are the folks I would be dealing with.)

(Additional FYI - The pan replacement consideration only comes into question with the PDK clutch fluid change - not the gear oil change.)

Old 09-02-2022, 08:04 PM
Ironman88
Rennlist Member

The Porsche Recommended Maintenance schedule that I've seen shows that the PDK clutch fluid should be changed every 6 years / 60k miles. (997.2 - model year 2009.)

The PDK gear oil change is every 12 years, 120k miles.

Old 09-03-2022, 12:20 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,266 Likes on 815 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman88
The Porsche Recommended Maintenance schedule that I've seen shows that the PDK clutch fluid should be changed every 6 years / 60k miles. (997.2 - model year 2009.)

The PDK gear oil change is every 12 years, 120k miles.

Yes. And pan with filter at 120K as well. AWD controller fluid every 60K miles as well. And front diff oil every 120K miles.

I've read too many stories of dealers being fearful to do any service on the PDK. I wouldn't trust them to guide me properly on service recommendations for a 12 year old car. They mix things up between models. They make mistakes. I DIY but use dealers when essential. I'm still waiting for my first positive dealer experience. My indie knows more about PDKs than any dealer in my area that I interviewed.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:36 AM
larrytrk
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 49 Posts

As I posted in the 09 Carrera S thread
i did the PDK clutch oil fluid and the new pan at 7 years and 47K. Our 09’s needed a new pan because the drain plug failed on removal, poor design, the newer pans don’t do that.
I didn’t do the PDK transmission fluid till I had the PDK temp sensor failure and fix at 63K and rather than just add fluid, I opted for a flush and fill.
my NJ dealer said wait till 100K, had the fix, etc, in MA dealer.

Last edited by larrytrk; 09-03-2022 at 08:37 AM.
Old 09-03-2022, 01:35 PM
jbkusa
Pro

Received 266 Likes on 166 Posts

My Indy recommends the kit with the new pan and fluid change (8100). I have a 4S so going to service front differential at the same time.

Quick Reply: 12 yr PDK service not changing pan+filter