Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Bore Scoring hyped up to be worse than it really is?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2022, 11:21 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 98 Posts

while it might not be an issue in all the .1's ( more prone in the 3.8's ) it is definitely something that happens to enough cars that it has become what it is. either way i wont stick my head in the sand and ignore it. ill take it a reason to rebuild when my time comes as i cant seem to find anything i enjoy driving more than a 997. i keep going back and test driving 991, 992, 718, of all different trims, none have that drivers car feel like a sorted 997. i know its bound to be my time sooner or later, and im ok with that.
The following 2 users liked this post by JGEMDOC:
misterdega (08-27-2022), rtl5009 (08-26-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 01:10 AM
ZuffenZeus
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Typical douche bag trying to sell leather conditioning product with stupid video wasting air he breathes.
Florida T shirt icing on the worthless cake.
Yea, this Samcrac dude tried to peddle his channel to Jake Raby and FSI. Jake sent me a note asking if I knew of him. He then shared the email with me. Sam obviously didn't know how bad of shape the car was in when he bought it and asked Jake if he wanted to "collaborate" and get some exposure for Flat 6 Innovations. "Collab" or "Collaborate" in social media means gimme your product or service for free and in turn I'll mention you on my YouTube channel. What Sam didn't know is that Jake gets these emails all the time. Mostly YouTubers that are desperate for repairing their cars for little or nothing. Jake doesn't play that game and told him he has plenty of business from normal customers. Anyway, you can see in the end what Sam did to the car that is still suffering from Bore Scoring and possibly crack in the head even though he filled it full of stop leak. Guess it gives new meaning to "Samcrac".
Old 08-27-2022, 07:52 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 756 Likes on 409 Posts

Haha, that’s interesting. Seems his channel is based on trying to fix cars he bought cheap for cheap, so doesn’t surprise me he tried to get a fix from Jake for cheap. I’ve read here in another thread of a guy saying his friend’s 08 997S finding out he had scoring in his cylinders and high oil consumption but didn’t do anything about it and 25K KM later (which is about 15K miles), the car still runs fine. Point being that you can go for many miles still with a scored engine without issue. Not saying it’s good, but just that I think there are a lot of cars out there (not only Porsche) that have scratches on their cylinder walls or pistons and still can drive a good while before having to rebuild.

I know the logic is that if you decide to rebuild your engine early in the game, you avoid extra collateral damage that could end up costing you more during the rebuild as you can save having to replace further parts, but when a rebuild here in the States already costs upwards of $35-40K, if you drive longer until you see more serious signs like engine codes or ticking, does that mean your rebuild will then cost you $80K?…probably not right? And why is it that in the UK, a rebuild is more like $15K USD versus double that here? 😆

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-27-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 08-27-2022, 10:13 AM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 98 Posts

It’s more of a I know I’m driving a time bomb…. You can do one of a few things. Rebuild with oem parts ( probably cheaper route ) but you are just going to end up in the same boat down the road.

Get a spot in the que for one of the reliable proven builders to preventatively do the job before it goes boom. If you keep it stock to 3.8L it is not bad at all. But who is gonna rebuild a motor and not take the advantage of going all out. There are 4.0, 4.2 and 4.3 options all with varying degrees of other upgrades on internals. Most go this route and choose what they want and how they can budget for it. Not everyone can drop 50-70k for a fully built 4.3L monster.

The third option is roll the dice and see how it ends up when your time bomb blows and pray the internals aren’t ****ed. Then you just end up with a roller for someone else project car.

the holy grail of our cars is the 4.0 gt3’s. Yeah mine won’t rev to 9k+ and yeah the door handles are aren’t pull straps. But I can get my 997.1s pretty dam close with a few $k in suspension and weight reduction and a rebuilt motor, and far cheaper than it would cost to actually ( if the opportunity ever came up and that’s pipe dream in it’s self ) to actually get a factory 4.0.

im good with my paranoid rebuild. Sorry for the rant. Worked overnight, went to cars and coffee and now 2 highballs of vodka down, but these moments, I have the car I’ve always wanted sitting in the garage, I’ll make it the best I can and won’t think twice
The following 4 users liked this post by JGEMDOC:
8KaboveMSL (09-11-2022), carguy999 (09-09-2022), Carreralicious (08-27-2022), jbkusa (08-27-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 10:29 AM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

All cars are a ticking time bomb. I bought the 997 cause I loved the car and wanted something to tinker with.

so it’s literally perfect.
The following 8 users liked this post by rtl5009:
Bwoy1981 (08-29-2022), carguy999 (09-09-2022), CAVU (08-27-2022), Graufuchs (08-27-2022), groovzilla (08-27-2022), jbkusa (08-27-2022), Noah Fect (09-05-2022), sburke91 (08-27-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 08-27-2022, 11:34 AM
997gr8
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

I’m quite a ways down the path of a rebuild (bore scoring) that is costing me more, than a similar GT3 would have in the first place.
Of course GT3’s aren’t that price anymore, so I don’t feel completely gutted. There’s also the fact that my rebuilt motor is probably better built and will last longer, than anything Porsche would ever ‘mass produce’.

Turns out they continued to use lokasil/Alusil on a verity of engines until 2018, that includes the 991 GT3.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:24 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 5,006 Likes on 2,965 Posts

Originally Posted by b3freak
Yea, this Samcrac dude tried to peddle his channel to Jake Raby and FSI. Jake sent me a note asking if I knew of him. He then shared the email with me. Sam obviously didn't know how bad of shape the car was in when he bought it and asked Jake if he wanted to "collaborate" and get some exposure for Flat 6 Innovations. "Collab" or "Collaborate" in social media means gimme your product or service for free and in turn I'll mention you on my YouTube channel. What Sam didn't know is that Jake gets these emails all the time. Mostly YouTubers that are desperate for repairing their cars for little or nothing. Jake doesn't play that game and told him he has plenty of business from normal customers. Anyway, you can see in the end what Sam did to the car that is still suffering from Bore Scoring and possibly crack in the head even though he filled it full of stop leak. Guess it gives new meaning to "Samcrac".
More like "Asscrack"

Old 08-27-2022, 12:35 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 684 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gr8
I’m quite a ways down the path of a rebuild (bore scoring) that is costing me more, than a similar GT3 would have in the first place.
Of course GT3’s aren’t that price anymore, so I don’t feel completely gutted. There’s also the fact that my rebuilt motor is probably better built and will last longer, than anything Porsche would ever ‘mass produce’.

Turns out they continued to use lokasil/Alusil on a verity of engines until 2018, that includes the 991 GT3.
alusil is a completely different thing than lokasil. And the mode of failure is also completely different.

nickasil is the only way to go.
Old 08-27-2022, 12:44 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,469 Likes on 967 Posts

Oil analyst and quarterly oil changes with the super duper, virgin oil from deep in the amazon rain forest, many dont know this but this oil deposit produces a special blend of chemicals that eliminate both the dreaded bore damage and IMSB failure and is guaranteed

I order it by the pallet to keep pace with 90 day oil change increments on my fleet of P cars

Sorry but it is only known to a select group of GT car owners so I cant publish the distributors name on an open forum

Last edited by 996AE; 08-27-2022 at 02:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
carguy999 (09-09-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 02:06 PM
jibmaster1
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

As I sip my morning coffee and check all my favorite car forums/new car reviews, etc., I started reading this one and it made me laugh! Are we starting to sound like a bunch of grumpy old Men buffing our garage queens out, complaining about YouTubers that are making millions off of us on click bait vids like Samcrac puts out? Instead of the usual old guy "get off my lawn", it has evolved into the "get off my computer feed"! Haha. All good. I'm 52 and notice myself getting less tolerant to the idiocracy I see more regularly so I get it. My 9A1 motor only drinks a qt every 5K with almost 160K on the odometer. No I am not discussing oil brand or weights either! I regularly drive it hard in the mountains or favorite roads. Maybe that helps?

On the topic of this thread though I did have a question if someone knows. When you buy/get a warranty factory 997.1 motor from Porsche have they changed using the Lokasil process to Alusil in the 997.1 replacements? Maybe that would admit there is "nothing wrong" with Lokasil motors? I guess if Porsche extended their mileage coverage for these defective motors I would imagine they would have many more return future customers. I do find Porsche owners are brand loyal...
Hope you enjoy your weekend drives or whatever you do with your car!
Old 08-27-2022, 03:24 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by jibmaster1
As I sip my morning coffee and check all my favorite car forums/new car reviews, etc., I started reading this one and it made me laugh! Are we starting to sound like a bunch of grumpy old Men buffing our garage queens out, complaining about YouTubers that are making millions off of us on click bait vids like Samcrac puts out? Instead of the usual old guy "get off my lawn", it has evolved into the "get off my computer feed"! Haha. All good. I'm 52 and notice myself getting less tolerant to the idiocracy I see more regularly so I get it. My 9A1 motor only drinks a qt every 5K with almost 160K on the odometer. No I am not discussing oil brand or weights either! I regularly drive it hard in the mountains or favorite roads. Maybe that helps?

On the topic of this thread though I did have a question if someone knows. When you buy/get a warranty factory 997.1 motor from Porsche have they changed using the Lokasil process to Alusil in the 997.1 replacements? Maybe that would admit there is "nothing wrong" with Lokasil motors? I guess if Porsche extended their mileage coverage for these defective motors I would imagine they would have many more return future customers. I do find Porsche owners are brand loyal...
Hope you enjoy your weekend drives or whatever you do with your car!
Gotta agree with you jibmaster, people get way too wound up over stuff. I watch Samcrac's videos because he's entertaining and don't take him seriously. I don't buy the stuff he promotes, don't subscribe to his channel, and always use an effective adblocker and a privacy browser as a general rule (on all sites including this one). If he's still making money off me despite all that then my hat is off to him. He's a pretty good showman.

As to bore scoring being overblown it's the old story that it is overblown unless it happens to you. Don't buy a car with scoring (as Groove wisely warns) and don't play the game if scoring developing later will break the bank. There are plenty of other cars, including other 911 year/models, with a much lower rates of bore scoring. Nobody has to buy one of these cars. I'll never get the people that finally buy a 911 as fulfillment of a lifelong dream then proceed to obsess over bore scoring. Some people just like to worry I guess.

Last edited by PV997; 08-27-2022 at 03:27 PM.
jibmaster1 (08-29-2022)
Old 08-27-2022, 04:05 PM
NevilleNobody
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

Which circles back to my amazement as to how close pricing is on a .1 vs a .2. I realise .2s are not immune (I had mine scoped before I bought it) but man, you can pay $70k cdn for a sorted .1 or the same money for a .2 that may have say a sub 5k claim on the front end. I know which I'd prefer.
Old 08-27-2022, 04:16 PM
997gr8
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by NevilleNobody
Which circles back to my amazement as to how close pricing is on a .1 vs a .2. I realise .2s are not immune (I had mine scoped before I bought it) but man, you can pay $70k cdn for a sorted .1 or the same money for a .2 that may have say a sub 5k claim on the front end. I know which I'd prefer.
Earlier this year, my buddy asked me to find him a 991. I saw a few 9A1 engined cars in Ontario, all had the dreaded ticking sound (bad lifter lol), finally found one that sounded really good. Had it scoped and it still had some very light scoring - a 991.1 with 60k km’s, not winter driven.
Old 08-28-2022, 01:01 PM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,535 Likes on 653 Posts

Originally Posted by 997gr8
Earlier this year, my buddy asked me to find him a 991. I saw a few 9A1 engined cars in Ontario, all had the dreaded ticking sound (bad lifter lol), finally found one that sounded really good. Had it scoped and it still had some very light scoring - a 991.1 with 60k km’s, not winter driven.
All 9A1's tick like crazy, it's the direct injection fuel injectors. Put a stethoscope on the fuel rail and you can hear and localize it for yourself. Bore scoring is more of a thunking noise, at least it is if it gets more advanced.

Bore scoring in the 9A1's can happen but it occurs far less than in M96/97's, probably 10-100x less often. Are you sure about your diagnosis?

Last edited by PV997; 08-28-2022 at 01:05 PM.
SpeedyD (08-28-2022)
Old 08-28-2022, 01:19 PM
NevilleNobody
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 101 Posts

I was getting a service at my local indy and he had a 991 with scoring, to my ear it is nothing like a tick. These engines have an inherent tick which is disconcerting, this though, was a very, very easy to hear slap. Slap, slap, slap, slap, slap..........just an awful sound.

Quick Reply: Is Bore Scoring hyped up to be worse than it really is?